Convince the Wife then Cycle the Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Convince the Wife then Cycle the Tank

Hi there!

A few days ago, I posted on the forum about successfully negotiation with the wife for a new tank.

Alas! So here it is now. My small 10G tank that is to the limits of my wife threshold. This forum has been love! I asked about attaching moss on rocks and I’ve been successful! So proud of it, I had to share an image. Thank you everyone! This is my FIRST EVER PLANTED TANK. So please spare me if it’s looking like a newbie.. it’s lacking a bit of height, I’ve ordered some taller plants. On the way!

I’m not sure if this is the proper forum for cycling. I just don’t know if I’m doing it right, and I’ve spent sleepless nights reading.. and reading.. and reading.

As pure ammonia is not accessible where I live (I moved to china a couple of years ago, and heck aquarium stuff are cheap here!!), I’ve gone with the fish food method.

I’ve left 2 big bags (and I mean stuffed!) of fish food on Day 1. And by Day 3 they pretty much all melted in the tea bag. When I moved it, to my horror.. all these stringy white stuff began flooding my tank. I panicked, attempted to remove it. Added some water that evaporated. On the same day, I added again a small fresh bag of food. And added another today (now day 4). My readings are below. I just wanna make sure I am on the right track.

I’ve also bought a bottle of Seachem stability. I was wondering if that works with the fish food cycling method? I understand stability needs to work with ammonia. There is a little of ammonia after all.. (I read about stability + fish... but I just don’t feel like risking lives here).

Also my reading lacks information about nitrates - unbelievably I bought a test kit that only test ammonia and nitrite. I’m getting a one that test nitrates too. Waiting for that to arrive.

Day 1 : ammonia 0.25 (I suspect this was from the old gravel and filter media I threw in from my friend’s tank to ‘seed’) I’ve removed them now after decorating the tank.
Day 2: Ammonia 0.75 - food melting.. Nitrite- 0.08

Day 3 : Not measured
Day 4: Ammonia 0.3, Nitrite - 0.08 - changed to 2 new smaller fresh bag of food.

Planning to stock 1 DG and 5 ember tetras. Maybe 3-5 shrimps.

TLDR:
1. Seachem stability is arriving in 2 days. Any advice / thoughts on fishless fish food cycling with stability?
2. For cycling with fish food, as the food rots and white stringy stuff appear in the bag, do I change the food? Or just bear with it? I’m so afraid of fungus on my plants!

Bonus question: please leave some feedback on my tank! If there’s any way I could make it look even prettier/ better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2F517E5-1C08-46EB-A0F5-0B5E296CD394_1586099074270.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	895949  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode