Advice for my first tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oppenheimer80

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I'm new to the aquarium world but I'm going to try my hand at it. I've ordered most everything for my setup but with everything running slow these days I have some time until everything arrives. Looking for tips and advice to get things going. Here's my setup:
-17 Gal Lifegard rimless tank
-Eheim 2213 canister w/ glass Lily pipe and protein skimmer input
-24/7 Planted+ LED
-ADA Amazonia substrate
-Seiryu rock and bonsai tree hardscape
I'm thinking monte carlo and dwarf hair grass carpet. I'm planning on having low tech tank.

A few questions I have right off the bat. What media to use in the filter? Are there any good sources for what water parameters should look like? I have a lot of iron in my well water. Should I try a dry start? Where do I hang the inlet and outlet for the filter?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-04-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use Matrix as my bio filter material , but you can use anything from ceramic noodles to scrubbies . As far as the best source for info you are on it . Just use the search function .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
As far as the best source for info you are on it . Just use the search function .
This forum is my go to place for information. Haven't tried the search function yet. I was wondering if there is maybe a reference table out there with water parameter ranges.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't know of such a table . Water parameters depend on the type of fish you keep , type of plants you want to keep . If you are going with community fish and easy plants then most will adapt to the water you have .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Great, that's a big help. I did see some plants have suggested pH ranges and such. Do you think high iron in my well water would be a problem? I'm getting a test kit shortly and I'll test it from the tap then.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

One of the best resources around for planted aquariums. Dennis Wong. That should keep you reading for a few days.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

As far as iron goes .2ppm is standard EI dosing of iron.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

The Eheim Substrat media that comes with your filter is pretty good. I use that combined with Seachem Matrix.

Some great comments above: Yay for https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/

Your fish should determine both your ph and temperature. Most plants prefer softer lower ph water and temps <78-79. Once you go to temps above 82 many species won't do nearly as well. So if you want optimal fish health and plant health, please choose ones that are compatible. For example, in my tank, for my discus, I keep temp above 83 and I use lots of driftwood and mix RODI water with my tap to maintain a ph of ~6.5 (lower when CO2 is at it's highest time of day). Many plants I've tried just wouldn't thrive in that warm water, so I've adapted my plant choices to those can better handle the temp. Unfortunately, most plant sellers don't mention much about temp range, so it's often hit-or-miss with a species I'm not that familiar with.

Regarding Seiryu rock, I think that tends to raise ph a bit, which might point you away from fish that prefer low ph, but I don't have personal experience with Seiryu stone. Perhaps others can comment about that.

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the advice, I'm already liking this forum! It looks like Amazon is shipping things a little quicker than they were saying so I may be able to set up my hardscape this week. I'll probably be back with a lot more questions lol.
sbank likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppenheimer80 View Post
Here's my setup:
-17 Gal Lifegard rimless tank
-Eheim 2213 canister w/ glass Lily pipe and protein skimmer input
-24/7 Planted+ LED
-ADA Amazonia substrate
-Seiryu rock and bonsai tree hardscape
I'm thinking monte carlo and dwarf hair grass carpet. I'm planning on having low tech tank.
Just a prediction; I think you may find the lily pipe and skimmer unit pretty obtrusive in a 17 gallon tank. You're going to need a heater in there too; that's a lot of stuff/ clutter in a small tank. Consider trying the stock Eheim input and output in the same corner along with the heater so all your equipment is in one place. Plant a big Sword in that corner to hide it. You can use the spray bar to help with surface scum, or just point your output nozzle diagonally toward the center of the front pane with a good surface ripple and achieve a circular flow.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

The skimmer is certainly optional, but with a rimless tank most go with lily pipes since they want that minimalist aesthetic. That tank is pretty much the equivalent of an ADA 60p.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode