Drift Wood for aquarium use - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Drift Wood for aquarium use

Where is the best place to buy drift wood to use submerged in a planted aquarium?

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsViv View Post
Where is the best place to buy drift wood to use submerged in a planted aquarium?

Thanks,
Tim
If you have access to a river, lake , or ocean, some nice pieces can be found there for the cost of gas money. Just wash it good, scrub it with a wire brush or sand it down and should work nice. Im currently using madrona wood from the beach
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks,
Tim
What the other reply said. Make sure to boil it very well before you put it in your tank though.

This must be what addiction feels like <3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Thanks,
Tim
Wood from the outside is always an option. If you are not into that level of DIY then SR Aquaristik sells wood including mixed bits and WYSIWYG options:

https://sraquaristik.com/collections...-rock-and-wood

Then there is e bay of course.

I recently had very good luck with bloomsandbranches.com for manzinita wood at great prices. Hopefully this is helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

I have had success with Manzanita-Driftwood.com - Stunning Aquarium Driftwood, Stones, & Fish and ebay, though the piece that I got from ebay took a full year of soaking to sink.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

Depending on where you live, LFS are sometimes a good option, depending on your priorities:

Pros: Some find it easier to envision it in your tank when you actually can hold & play around with it. Some stores have "practice" boxes with sand that you can mock up your hardscape while you shop. Color and texture via online images viewed on your device can vary widely. WYS may differ from WIS ;-)
LFS tend to carry only woods that are known to work well in aquariums. If you are concerned with if the wood will affect PH, you may find comfort from their knowledge.

Con: price, price, price.

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbank View Post
Depending on where you live, LFS are sometimes a good option, depending on your priorities:

Pros: Some find it easier to envision it in your tank when you actually can hold & play around with it. Some stores have "practice" boxes with sand that you can mock up your hardscape while you shop. Color and texture via online images viewed on your device can vary widely. WYS may differ from WIS ;-)
LFS tend to carry only woods that are known to work well in aquariums. If you are concerned with if the wood will affect PH, you may find comfort from their knowledge.

Con: price, price, price.

I'm in complete agreement w/ you. I live in a place where there are no LFS for buying hardscape materials. I like to look at pieces to get an idea before purchasing. That said, I end up buying a lot more than I need in hopes of getting pieces I really like. Depending on the tank size, I would order boxes of several pieces. Then I would come up with a combination of pieces I liked and epoxy them together.

I would start local, if at all possible and then go from there. Tom Barr used to have awesome manzanita for good prices. His nano boxes were great. That said, he supplies Houston Manzanita, which is another online option for you.

Good luck!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 05:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you're looking for smaller pieces, the forum's For Sale section has some WYSIWYG Spider Wood pieces

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode