2Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Sne.symphony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20XT centerpiece fish- suggestions?

The tank is a 20 extra tall, heavily planted, and currently is home to 7 neon tetras. Water parameters are good and stable. Avoiding gourami, betta, German blue rams, kribensis, and apistogramma. We want something at least mildly colorful, 4" or less, and suitable either alone or in a pair. Anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sne.symphony View Post
The tank is a 20 extra tall, heavily planted, and currently is home to 7 neon tetras. Water parameters are good and stable. Avoiding gourami, betta, German blue rams, kribensis, and apistogramma. We want something at least mildly colorful, 4" or less, and suitable either alone or in a pair. Anyone have suggestions?
Thats a difficult one. Fish that can be alone-- thrive at being alone-- are most often in the cichlid or anabantoid family and demand larger tanks. The fish that you are not interested in that you list are the more common fish that are smaller that would work in your tank- size and situation.

Some suggestions. All species can be found at Wetspot. Maybe your LFS would order as well? :

*You could branch out to the rarer varieties within these more common groups- like, instead of a common betta, could do a Betta macrostoma. Which is this beautifully colored betta from Borneo that can live singly and thrive. It stays under 4 inches. Or, the Strawberry Betta (Betta albimarginata).

*Or, could do an unusual species like the Spadetail Checkerboard Cichlid (Dicrossus maculatus) or (Dicrossus filamentosusLyretail). Checkerboard Cichlid
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

How about 4" of blue eyed rainbowfish? A male and a few females could probably do pretty well in the tank you describe.

Or how about a gourami?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The discrossus seem like a they would be a good choice for this tank. I absolutely love the macrostoma, but that price tag is a nope. I wouldnt keep any fish that expensive in any less than a half stocked, 80 gallon aquarium. Beautiful specimen though and a great suggestion given I gave no expense requirements. Would the discrossus be acceptable as a pair, or would they be too aggressive for the neons?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The discrossus seem like a they would be a good choice for this tank. I absolutely love the macrostoma, but that price tag is a nope. I wouldnt keep any fish that expensive in any less than a half stocked, 80 gallon aquarium. Beautiful specimen though and a great suggestion given I gave no expense requirements. Would the discrossus be acceptable as a pair, or would they be too aggressive for the neons?
These fish are fine with other peaceful fish. They are shy themselves. I would get a pair or a group of 5 and let them pair off.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...-filamentosus/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachshap View Post
How about 4" of blue eyed rainbowfish? A male and a few females could probably do pretty well in the tank you describe.

Or how about a gourami?
Dont get me wrong, I love gourami. Beautiful fish, great personality, and the breeding behavior is amazing. But the disease they get is just too awful to risk watching again. The rainbow fish aren't a bad suggestion, but I think theyd appreciate a wider setup vs my tall one. Might try those when I do a larger community tank though, perhaps a 40 breeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Quote:
These fish are fine with other peaceful fish. They are shy themselves. I would get a pair or a group of 5 and let them pair off.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...-filamentosus/
How long do you think theyd take to pair off and how would I know? I have an LFS that would take the extra fish once I found my pair, but more fish = more water care; id just like an idea of what id be getting myself into. Secondly, if I came up with two pair and an odd man out, id likely want to keep both pairs. How safe would you consider these to be housed with amano shrimp?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-04-2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
How long do you think theyd take to pair off and how would I know? I have an LFS that would take the extra fish once I found my pair, but more fish = more water care; id just like an idea of what id be getting myself into. Secondly, if I came up with two pair and an odd man out, id likely want to keep both pairs. How safe would you consider these to be housed with amano shrimp?
Sorry, never kept them myself so cannot give advice on how long to get a pair, how well they get along with amanos, etc...
Ive kept alot of cichlids, but not these.

Amy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Sorry, never kept them myself so cannot give advice on how long to get a pair, how well they get along with amanos, etc...
Ive kept alot of cichlids, but not these.
Well, if it comes to that, I have access to enough tanks to figure it out. Thank you for pointing me towards these. We just ordered a pair of appistogramma caucatoids, so im gonna see how they settle into their tank before I order fish for the 20(may have to shuffle my dithers around if the pair is unfriendly). But definitely planning to get these guys. The fact that they're supposed to be very difficult to breed is actually a plus for them and I like how different they are.
Discusluv likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, you wiped out 90% of your choices with your disqualifications. One of your big problems is small footprint of tank. Itís basically just a 10gal but twice as high. Your neons are going to occupy the lower-mid strata so a fish that will hang mostly in the mid-high area would be best.

Check out some Clown Killifish... definitely a show stopper centerpiece fish. Tank parameters match neons nicely as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode