Siphon for shrimp, suck them up or dont! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Siphon for shrimp, suck them up or dont!

I am looking for a siphon that does it all and I wonder if such a product exists or which products get the most features.

1 I am looking for something that can self-prime, either with or without power.
However, I want it to be safe to suck up shrimp, due to my setups sometimes its easier to just suck them up and sort them out in a low flat bucket than to try and do it all in the tanks.
I would also like the same siphon to have a filter or something that will not suck them up when I just want to pull water for water changes.

What are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:03 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can put a net over the end of your siphon or Python. Once you get a lot of shrimp in a tank, water changes are necessarily tricky, especially if you want to wash the gravel. Crimping the hose and keeping a close eye is what I usually do. If draining into the sink, any that get sucked up are goners but if draining into a bucket any that get sucked up will usually be okay.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I also want a multipurpose tool, so I get a few parts that slip fit together and then mod it to fit whatever the situation. First is to get a real-start siphon that doesn't require sucking or fussinf will filling. A squeeze bulb built in with a short portion of large diameter and a screen (removable) is cheap and easy to get on E-bay for 5-10 shipped.
Search aquarium siphon and dozens of options come up.
But to make it versatile, I cut and fit a few parts together so that I can make a press fit which is secure enough but still easy to change out as needed. Like when I want to move small fry, I don't want them going though the squeeze bulb, so I pull it off. The screen at the front is a great option as sometimes I want to get down and suck dirt out of the gravel so the screen is on, just in case a fish gets too close.
Adding various lengths of clear tubing gets me different lengths to reach different tanks in different rooms.
The python type gizmos are not flexible enough to make them a value for my uses and they break really easy, while the $5 cheapy has only failed once in ten years of pretty heavy use. I use a pump in the reserve water barrel for refills.
Linking to e-bay not allowed. Sorry, have to do the search alone!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Rich, can you start it with the bulb then pull the bulb off after its going?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode