Cycling tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello people, I just got a 60g tank on Mar 20 right. I started with a fair amount of plants, all beginner low light. Im using a shop light from Walmart raised about 12" above the tank, no top.

My tank today: Tank readings yesterday:
Ammonia .25 ppm A 0ppm
Nitrites .50 ppm. NO2 .25ppm
Nitrates 10 ppm. NO3 5ppm

The day before last 03/26my ammonia was at .25 no2 @ .25 and my no3 @ 5ppm which was the day I added driftwood from a previous tank

I changed about 30% water last night so my question is, do I need to change more water to get the ammonia down? or is it not done cycling yet?

I added 10 minnows over the course of 5 days but 5 remain. This is the first time I've cycled a tank this way; before I have just used a frozen shrimp in a mesh bag or something and it took about a month

Also I'm not sure if my plants are growing or dying lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15856060713534812942638428343267_1585606088465.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	895677  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2020 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hello and welcome!

A lot of folks don't like to cycle tanks with fish because of the potential of killing the fish. That said, I've done it before and so long as you keep up on your readings they should be fine. Anyway your tank is only 11 days old. So yeah.. pretty normal for it not to have finished cycling. A cycle is just growing bacteria, and gosh darn it bacteria don't all do the same thing every single time. 2 to 4 weeks is pretty typical for cycle times.

Regarding plants, on the right side of the picture, is that anubias stuck in substrate? If it is then you will need to pull it out and attach it to the driftwood/rocks. It will rot if kept in substrate. What are you adding by way of fertilizer? It is again hard to make out but does your tank contain aquasoil capped by sand?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it wasn't my intention to cycle with fish, but I read somewhere that if my tank is heavily planted, I could get away with it. However I initially had the setup for a 29 gallon so Its not enough plants for this 60 gallon, I'm guessing.

Tank does not have anubias but I'm using eco complete topped with sand, yes. I guess I was confused by the readings and thought that the fish cycle would take less time than fish less.

Oh and I'm just using Flourish Excel and Flourish at the moment. Any suggestions on what else might help?

Oh and I'm just using Flourish Excel and Flourish at the moment. Any suggestions on what else might help?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-04-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

To kick start your tank especially when aqua soil substrates have some fast growing stem plants such as hygrophilla till the tank gets into equilibrium. This way you can avoid algae issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode