My wife finally approved my tank... Seeking help from the gurus! - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kitkatgarfield
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My wife finally approved my tank... Seeking help from the gurus!

Hello Masters of the Planted Tanks,

I decided to grow up and have a big boy aquarium. Well, to the limits of my wife.. which I’ve stretched as far as I could with many nights of negotiation.

‘I wanna grow a planted tank’
‘Why not you focus on growing your daughter’

This went on for a while.. till one day, ‘I didn’t buy that toy for our daughter but guess what! I bought a tank! .. and rocks... and moss.. and filters... and erm, I got you take out for dinner.’

So here I am. With a small 10 gallon tank. After spending nights and nights of research while waiting for the wife’s approval, I decided on a dry start method. I also decided to blow away my ego and consult the masters of this forum.

Bear with my noob-iness. My only offering is to keep this as light hearted as possible.

I got a tank with some organic black soil (it’s more like round black mini balls actually) Came along with a pack of seeds for some carpet (I moved to china a few years ago, so forgive me lord, I don’t know what species these really are). Wish I could upload a photo but this iPhone version seem to have a miserable box for text. It’s not the forum, I just have a miserable old iPhone. Change an iPhone you say? I rather keep the tank...

I’ve also gotten some moss .. thanks to google, I realise they are Christmas moss!
So question 1) can Christmas moss grow on rocks? I plan to cover one side of the tank with the magic beans from the seller and the other side with moss. On a DSM method, can I just split some of the moss and lay them on the soil and rocks? Will it attach itself naturally? It’s tied to a net now, I guess I can just lay it on the ground. And it will just be a square. I’m not sure if that’s very exciting. I’m only afraid that all I get is floating moss after flooding it. I saw the blending and yogurt method. Firstly, I’ll be made to dump the blender. Secondly, the smell of yogurt really makes me nauseous. Like why can’t it just be ice cream. Macadamia to be specific.

The seller said the magic beans will take about 5 days to germinate and I flood it after another 10 days. So about 2 weeks-ish. Not sure if the moss will be ready by then? You know, before I climb the great beanstalk.

I have a sword plant that I would like to plant in my tank, can I DSM it? Or should I just leave a space for it and only plant it in when I’m gonna flood the tank?

Also, after flooding, would I need to do a big water change to start cycling my tank for fishes? (I’ve aging some bio filters in an old tank to jump start this a little) again, some say yes, some say no..

Planning to just have some tetras and shrimps in the tank.

Looking forward to hearing from you experts. I’ll trade it with some tips on negotiating with the family on picking up a new hobby. Thanks for reading!
Hujeta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congrats on getting a tank started. Can be a fun hobby. Couple of things given the size of tank you listed (10 gallons) - do a little research as to how big various plants can get.

This site is pretty handy at giving out various plant specific information. I my case, I have a 75g tank and at one time had a Melon Sword and an Amazon Sword. They both got a little too big for my tank.
You should not need to do a water change right after initially flooding the tank - depending on what substrate you have. Brand new organic black soil (it’s more like round black mini balls actually) may leach ammonia, but used material may not.
If you have not already, obtain some type of ammonia testing method. Preferably one that will be accurate enough to go below 1.0ppm. Not sure what you have access to there, but a few years back I did a rather large project which involved cycling various bio media. What I found useful was a gallon jug of the cheapest ammonia I could find. No perfume and nothing that would cause it to suds up when shaken.
Having this allowed me to document the progress of the bio filter. In your case, assuming you have all this stuff, add in 4ppm ammonia and measure the level in the tank 24 hours later. If it's 0.0ppm then you bio filter is ready for whatever you are likely to throw at it fish wise.
Asteroid likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for this! Yes I do have a water tester kit for ammonia and nitrites. Currently just soaking all the biomedia of the new tank in my current tank to kick start some sort of bacteria in the new biomedia so I can hopefully jumpstart the cycling phase a little of the new tank.

Good tip on the size of the plant. Iím in the process of transferring the amazon sword. And you might be right, something that looks ok today, might be too big in time to come. Maybe Iíll just stick to the moss and carpets. Any advice on having them moss on the rocks just by laying them on it during a dry start method? And on the soil too.

Also I donít think I have access to ammonia here. Would you recommend I throw in some fish food and wait it out? To get the ammonia to rise so I can test it?

I read about cycling with shrimps, but I know their bio waste are tiny..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2020 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatgarfield View Post
Any advice on having them moss on the rocks just by laying them on it during a dry start method? And on the soil too.
It usually takes time for most to attach to wood/rock naturally. You can use thread or gel glue. Gel glue is very easy and jut a few drops will usually hold it. The speed at which the moss attaches is based on growth and how rough the surface of the wood or rock is. When it's rough, with crevices, etc the moss can grow into it better and attach.

If you use gel glue get one that is Cyanoacrylate based. Gorilla and Loctite are two popular brands that sell it.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:50 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatgarfield View Post
Also I donít think I have access to ammonia here. Would you recommend I throw in some fish food and wait it out? To get the ammonia to rise so I can test it?

I read about cycling with shrimps, but I know their bio waste are tiny..

Fish food would probably work as well - I just don't have any scientific way of measuring out how much ammonia is generated by how much fish food.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:58 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome to the forums. Most carpeting plant seeds are scams and just seeds of terrestrial plants, sorry to say. Here's a Reddit rundown of a few YouTube videos time-lapsing their growth and subsequent death. https://www.reddit.com/r/PlantedTank...pet_seed_scam/
If you haven't put those in your tank yet, please don't until you can confirm what they are. I would not dream of cycling with shrimp, they are just too fragile to handle substantial ammonia loads and produce too little of it on their own. I've heard of people putting a dead piece of shrimp (like the kind you eat) in tanks to rot and create NH4, but I've always gone with household ammonia.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the advice guys. I’ll go with fish food cycling and will try tying the moss to the rocks.

Onwards into the unknown... Hope I don’t mess it up!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

A dry start will not get your moss growing on rocks or wood unless its for a very long time, many months. If you lay it on the substrate and do nothing else, then when you flood your tank it will just float away. You should either tie or glue it to wood or rocks. A moss carpet is tricky and usually requires you to have some kind of medium for the moss to grow on, like the mesh it likely came with.

You should consider adding other plants to the tank, especially quick growing stem plants. They will help a lot when your tank is new because their fast growth will use up nutrients and inhibit algae.

Other things to consider include fertilizer, lighting, and whether to add co2.

Congratulations on getting past the wife hurtle. I have the same issue, every tank is a battle and the battle is different every time. The good news is my daughter (3 years old currently) seems really interested in the fish which mollifies the wife quite a bit. Having a betta as a feature fish in a little 5 gallon was very important. My daughter loves the betta but doesn't care much about any fish that doesn't have a name.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
A dry start will not get your moss growing on rocks or wood unless its for a very long time, many months. If you lay it on the substrate and do nothing else, then when you flood your tank it will just float away. You should either tie or glue it to wood or rocks. A moss carpet is tricky and usually requires you to have some kind of medium for the moss to grow on, like the mesh it likely came with.

You should consider adding other plants to the tank, especially quick growing stem plants. They will help a lot when your tank is new because their fast growth will use up nutrients and inhibit algae.

Other things to consider include fertilizer, lighting, and whether to add co2.

Congratulations on getting past the wife hurtle. I have the same issue, every tank is a battle and the battle is different every time. The good news is my daughter (3 years old currently) seems really interested in the fish which mollifies the wife quite a bit. Having a betta as a feature fish in a little 5 gallon was very important. My daughter loves the betta but doesn't care much about any fish that doesn't have a name.
Thanks for this! Ah, so if I just lay the mesh on the soil it will just continue to grow into parts where there isn’t any mesh too? If so, that would be great! Then I’ll just leave it on the mesh.

Yes I’ve got some water weeds, maybe I’ll chuck a few into the tank after the magic beanstalks grow and before I flood it. I’ve got a lighting together with the tank. Not considering any use of fertilizers or CO2 though.

Thanks for the tip. Gonna name all the tetras and assume I recognise all of them. I’m sure my daughter will find that entertaining.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 08:49 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome and a fun first post. If you can negotiate with your wife then you will go far in the business world. I'm currently trying to "trade" some tanks for a new puppy.

Same as plants, fish have their respective requirements. If you want a decent school in a 10g, then you are looking for the little guys. Ember Tetras and dwarf cories are my personal preference. This is a good fish reference:https://www.seriouslyfish.com/

Dry start: I just don't have the patience and I want something swimming sooner then later, but to each it's own.

Have fun and keep posting!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

I enjoyed your thread start (except for the lack of pictures ). If you want to keep it simple and only stick to a few plants, I'd look in to also covering your wood with moss - think it looks really cool once it's grown in and at least for me it gives a vibe of ancient Chinese forest and mountains. In that scenario you might want to carpet the ground with something else though, for contrast, such as dwarf hairgrass or other easy species. Subscibed to follow this story!

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
inspired by nature
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Welcome to the forums. Most carpeting plant seeds are scams and just seeds of terrestrial plants, sorry to say. Here's a Reddit rundown of a few YouTube videos time-lapsing their growth and subsequent death. https://www.reddit.com/r/PlantedTank...pet_seed_scam/
If you haven't put those in your tank yet, please don't until you can confirm what they are. I would not dream of cycling with shrimp, they are just too fragile to handle substantial ammonia loads and produce too little of it on their own. I've heard of people putting a dead piece of shrimp (like the kind you eat) in tanks to rot and create NH4, but I've always gone with household ammonia.
Oh geez, that's a very good tip! i shall not ruin my tank with those seeds then.

I've decided with fishfood - as ammonnia isn't too readily available here unfortunately.
i'd love to go with dead shrimp. but the smell and sight of a decaying shrimp.. won't be too pleasing to my daughter..and worse - the wife who approved the tank.

What are other alternatives to carpet a tank though? do i just buy them in squares? Also, if i lay the square mesh down.. would they contrinue growing to other part of the mesh ? like on to the gravel and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Welcome and a fun first post. If you can negotiate with your wife then you will go far in the business world. I'm currently trying to "trade" some tanks for a new puppy.

Same as plants, fish have their respective requirements. If you want a decent school in a 10g, then you are looking for the little guys. Ember Tetras and dwarf cories are my personal preference. This is a good fish reference:https://www.seriouslyfish.com/

Dry start: I just don't have the patience and I want something swimming sooner then later, but to each it's own.

Have fun and keep posting!
You trade some tanks for a puppy.
You then let it grow up and trade the dog for 2 monkeys.
You get them to mate and have more baby monkeys and trade them in for an elephant.

And that, my friends, is how you get an elephant in the room 😃

Hi guys,

in the process of setting up/ cycling the tank now. and I'm reading each and every day on proper stocking of a 10 gallon tank. Trust me, i've gone to writing notes, punching my calculator. I swear I'm doing more calculations on gallons:fish ratio now more than my sales figures.

I'm looking to stock the below for a 10 gallon tank. would you guys think it's a tad bit much? or would it just fit nicely? i hope to get them in batches so as to not screw up the cycling of the tank.

- Neon Tetras - 5 or 10 ? or maybe ember tetras?
- Dwarf Gourami - 1
- Shrimps - 3-5? and one tiny snail

I hoping to build a mini community in a mini tank. i'm not sure if that is possible..

I seek wisdom again from the enlightened of this forum.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-04-2020 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode