The Planted Tank Forum banner

How do you all do it ?

5K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Crazygar 
#1 ·
I'm talking specifically about the esthetic appeal of the aquarium. I see so many fabulous planted tanks & often wonder how do you hide all the necessary equipment? My aquarium is a 34 gallon, drilled open concept, another of Fluvals long list of " must have kits" When I purchased this F90 Fresh & Plant from Hagen 4 years ago ,I embarked on a lifelong obsession, not the fish or plant obsession, have had that going on for decades. The issue I'm dealing with is all the "stuff". As you can see in photo, there's a lot going on in the tank! In hindsight, I wish I had not chosen a drilled tank. The massive black pipe (output) on the right has always been a bone of contention with me ! I also have two small power heads for good water movement & a green machine UV. The cobalt heater on the left is quite flat & isn't overly annoying, along with the C02 diffuser. Originally when I set up this planted aquarium almost 4 years ago, it was a jungle, and most equipment was hidden, but since redoing things a while ago, I'm going for a less busy look. So what's the best option? A sump below? Nope, no room in the cabinet? I dunno ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, sometimes I think people change their tank just for photos. I mean pulling everything ugly out before taking them. That tank looks outstanding. I wouldn't change a thing unless you have to. You already have everything tucked into the corners quite well. The only thing you could do is hook up the uv to an external canister but that's not entirely necessary if what you have works fine.

#5 ·
Ah Ha ! I knew it !! I know that people do that when they are entering their aquariums in a scaping contest, but for everyday is what bugs me. I will probably remove the UV soon, as it has cleared up a green bloom in less than 48 hours. Thanks for the tips :smile2:

Bump:
How about going vertical with plantings? Rather than see junk in the corner, I like to add irregular shaped covers for plants to grow on as a more natural appearance. One I find easy and pretty quick to grow in is Java fern. It has the advantages of being cheap (once you get one and it multiplies) easy to grow and easy to super glue to most anything that fits for the cover. In my tanks, I like large wood, so many of my covers are wood which I form to fit what I want to hide. That also includes things like heater, int/out plastic, probes and powerheads.
Been there, done that with large groupings of bushy,tall plants. I guess I just have to be patient. I just tore down, and replanted this tank about a month ago. I used to have several really large pieces of mopani wood, but have phased most of it out ,and replaced with the manzanita. Thanks for the reply :smile2:

#3 ·
A black background would make all that equipment virtually disappear. Heater can be set horz at bottom behind rocks and plants.

Also to me, I think I mentioned it in your other thread on light, is that big bright white striped pattern caused by light spill over onto wall behind tank, it completely draws your eye away from what’s in the tank. A black backdrop and a light shroud that mounts on light to stop that spillover would completely transform the presentation of the tank. The tan gravel, rocks and plants should be what your eyes are 1st drawn to, not the bright white stripe on the wall.

#6 ·
I agree, the striped background is very distracting. I would like to do a background, however if you look at the photo, there are two nasty brackets firmly attached to the back of the tank to support the raised light fixture, kinda makes a background difficult ? As for a light shroud, the tank came with two, but doesn't fit with the new Fluval 3.0 strip light, not sure how to add one to this :confused:
I wanted to hide the heater, but everything I've read about the cobalt heaters says emphatically, they MUST be kept upright, and never laid on the side, so ?
Thanks for all the great info !

#4 ·
How about going vertical with plantings? Rather than see junk in the corner, I like to add irregular shaped covers for plants to grow on as a more natural appearance. One I find easy and pretty quick to grow in is Java fern. It has the advantages of being cheap (once you get one and it multiplies) easy to grow and easy to super glue to most anything that fits for the cover. In my tanks, I like large wood, so many of my covers are wood which I form to fit what I want to hide. That also includes things like heater, int/out plastic, probes and powerheads.

#7 ·
If there is a little extra space in the clamps for glass you just insert a thin sheet in that area and use clamps to secure it at top. Bottom just use couple/3 squares of low profile dual lock or Velcro to tack it at bottom.

Here’s a 24x48 sheet of .0625 ABS, all you need to cut this stuff is straight edge and a fresh box cutter blade, score it deep and you can just snap it off to size and do a little sanding on edge. You probably will have enough left over you can build light shroud out of it also. If you live in metro areas you can usually find plastic suppliers/fabricators who will do cutting for you for minimal charge. Have been using this kind of material for years to make stuff, easy to cut/snap, heat bend and glue etc.

https://www.amazon.com/PLASTIC-VACU...DEAA7SXP560&psc=1&refRID=X3H5WZPWEDEAA7SXP560

#10 ·
first, i think the setup is pretty clean as is, but i do see what annoys you and since it does, it probably always will.

I've observed a "movement" going on that is all about popularizing white. it evokes simplicity, cleanliness, sanitization, etc. which, i feel the rimless movement is a part of. and to extend, glass pipes, transparent equipment, etc

perhaps i may have missed your original intention of your rescape, but i felt that you were going for that. before i viewed your tank, i was quick to think easy, "grow plants to hide it," but after seeing it, i refrained from that suggestion.

likewise, i would ask you to reconsider painting that black background. it will entirely change the look.

nothing is wrong with a black background per se but its... paint.. it feels so permanent
perhaps use that plastic sheet @DaveKS suggested. see if its really what you want.

check out @ange062 's rimless
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1279175

vs @Hendy8888 rimless tanks in their respective journals
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1278317

#13 ·
I use window film and switch between white and black depending on what will compliment the scape! Window film is great because I rescape tanks a lot and can swap the background color somewhat easily. Here are a couple examples.

I felt the black background worked better for the blackwater scape I did in my cube:

And the same black worked better for a simple betta hardscape I did:

But I like the brightness of the white on my current 90P scape:

And a translucent white worked awesome with the blue wall on this scape I did for a friend:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
The mention of plastic sheeting reminded me of this stuff..

https://www.amazon.com/Sintra-PVC-3...qid=1581863137&s=office-products&sr=8-2-fkmr2

Expanded core PVC sheeting, also known as Sintra. I lucked out and found a recycling center in town that had a good 2 dozen sheets of this in 1/8", black with odd shapes cut into the corners. I made a few tank hoods and my pendant lamp holder from this easily cut and Superglued product. Cuts easily with a heavy box knife.

The glue joints are stronger than the material if you cut precisely and it fits without gaps.

#14 ·
I would plant vals in front of the filter outlet on the right but then i would have but an underlayer under the gravel. I use humate but clay can work as well. Plants actually like their roots to be anoxic so giving them something denser than gravel to sink their roots in helps them. Though installing that would require you to redo the tank.

I agree it needs a dark background though.

#16 · (Edited)
I would plant vals in front of the filter outlet on the right but then i would have but an underlayer under the gravel. I use humate but clay can work as well. Plants actually like their roots to be anoxic so giving them something denser than gravel to sink their roots in helps them. Though installing that would require you to redo the tank.
I had vals in front of the intake for my HOB, but it made servicing it a difficult. In my dirted tank, the vals exploded and took over. They did create a nice jungly look the fish loved, but they covered the surface and most of the other plants weren't getting enough light. Using roottabs or Osmocote would probably work just as well, and be a lot less hassle than installing a new substrate. Or not using extra fertilizer might keep their growth rate more reasonable.

I've gotten some Anubias congensis to tie to lava rocks so they can be easily moved for equipment servicing, etc. They're supposed to grow slowly, but eventually get tall enough to reach the top. Has anyone else tried this, and how tall did they end up growing?

#20 · (Edited)
I used an adhesive vinyl drawer liner from Home Depot to black out the back of my tank. It was easy to apply with the aquarium in place in front of a wall with some soapy water and a credit card to smooth out. Under $10cdn was enough to do my tank twice(no need to this is one application only), and was in stock at my local store. Despite the textured look in the photo in the link mine was smooth and black on the adhesive side that stuck to the tank.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/co...lack-leather-72-inches-x-18-inches/1000125292

This is my tank with it applied. Been on since last November and easily applied and removeable non-permanent solution.

#27 ·
I used an adhesive vinyl drawer liner from Home Depot to black out the back of my tank. It was easy to apply with the aquarium in place in front of a wall with some soapy water and a credit card to smooth out. Under $10cdn was enough to do my tank twice(no need to this is one application only), and was in stock at my local store. Despite the textured look in the photo in the link mine was smooth and black on the adhesive side that stuck to the tank.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/co...lack-leather-72-inches-x-18-inches/1000125292

This is my tank with it applied. Been on since last November and easily applied and removeable non-permanent solution.

I found just what I was looking for on Amazon, thanks for the input. I couldn't see your photo though ? Link broken .

#22 ·
I really try to keep in tank equipment to a minimum. Glass pipes and inline heaters/CO2 are nice. My newest tank does have an in tank CO2 diffuser but it's hidden behind wood and plants and the tubing blends in. One tank I have has black painted background and another has a plastic translucent sheet taped in back ($1.99 at Michael's). I'm thinking of putting a colored mood lighting behind this one.

#25 ·
I've been slowly reducing the amount of equipment myself. My heater is hidden behind a piece of wood that has Buce all over it. All you can see if the cord at the top of the tank. Once the Blyxa grows in again, you'll never the cord in the water just going into the tank.

The rest, I have a small powerhead which I use to keep water movement good.

When I take my professional pictures, I remove it. Also, to mimic the idea of water movement, a hairdryer just blowing cool air (I'm a baldie, the looks I received buying a hairdryer was almost worth it) over the top of water to imitate the flow... take the snapshot.

I have my powerhead in an unobtrusive spot so that I can still view the tank without it taking too much eye space and still giving me good flow.

I am considering upgrading my filter and having two different type of glass outputs, one violet (I love that it pushes my CO2 down to the bottom of the tank) and another standard to keep water movement on top of the tank.

Sometimes, you have to get creative.

You have a drilled tank, I would have went with a sump design and that would have, in one swoop, removed most of the equipment from the tank.

Gary

#28 ·
I use this as my background: https://www.canalplastic.com/products/aqua-moire-illusion-film?variant=3364145201176. It is very pleasing - to me - as it mimics a water-type look. What you can’t see in the picture is that it has a 3D look to it, giving it the appearance of depth.

As far as what needs to be inside the tank, stay with black no matter what the background is. Clear parts will turn green with algae and any other color will be very distracting. Be particularly careful about certain flexible things in your tank, such as suction cups and some tubing. Many of these polymers will turn bright white as the refractive index changes from water absorption.

Reactions: dee.taylor
#29 ·
I'm no expert with the pro-looking tanks but angle of the shot, lighting (or lack of it) and use of hardscape are a big part for me.
Not a 'lovely' tank but there is an aquaclear 70 under that giant mass of baby tears on the left (20g long)

8g jumbo bubble bowl with tall crypts hiding cables/filtration/heater

Insanely densely planted.. might not be the aesthetically pleasing look to some (I love it) but again hides the equipment
8g jumbo bubble bowl again

3g bubble bowl

Don't have the photo dug out of my huge archive but my 7g cube use to be nicely planted-I'd take off the lid for photos to get a angled semi top view for a nice look.

I have a setup I upgraded yesterday so not ready for photos yet but using curved side glass and black spray paint to hide the equipment from the angel I'll see the tank, as well as floating foam rafts (will eventually be covered in baby tears again) to give more shadowy areas of the tank to keep focus in the foreground.

#30 ·
For background, I used the Spray-On Plasti-Dip from Canadian Tire. I applied two coats and I have a deep black background that, if I want, can peel off clean and reapply something else (though I would not spray Plasti-Dip when you have a fully running tank), but does make for a neat feature if you decide, you want a different color.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/plasti-dip.html

Comes in a few different colors. I suggest when using, use cardboard or something similar to catch the overspray and apply outside.

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.