Low tech algae issues and plant choice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low tech algae issues and plant choice

So about half a year ago I started my first planted tank, it was a bit tough at the start, but since it's been going well, algae free and low maintenance as I planned.

I decided to take some left over parts I had to try to set up a low tech tank, but so far all I've seemed to do is barely keep plants alive and grow a lot of algae. It's a ten gallon with an small HOB filter and Finnex 24/7 light. I really do think the hardscape is pretty good, although it's tough to see nowadays.

What is planted in it is some micro swords in the back right, some Monte Carlo in the front right, S repens in the front left, some pennywort in the back left, and some L repens that i think has mostly dies in the very back. Within the rock/driftwood structure there is java fern, java moss, bucephelandra and anubias nana petite.

Even when I had just planted, I think I had too many different species of plants in there, but at this point just want to somehow get it to low algae and easier to take care of. A few days ago I put a SAE in there, but haven't seen him since day one and there have been about four cherry shrimp in there for about a week.

Any advice appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1B9F38E-D32F-4199-85A1-3D14EDCF6817.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	893271  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What substrate are you using? Did you fully cycle the tank before adding any livestock? How long do you run your light for and at what power %? The best advice I could give is lower lighting time and intensity, do 50% water changes often for a little while.. and manually remove what algae you can. I always like to also use flourish excel a little heavy when I see an algae bloom but I donít think itís an absolute necessity. Hope some of this helps (more learned aquarists feel free to add on/ correct me)

CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Is that an active substrate? If it is, did you do a water change every day for the first week, every other day for the second week, 3 times in the third week, and twice in the fourth? That is what is required to keep nutrient leech under control so you don't get a crazy algae bloom.

Now that you are living with it like this. I follow CluelessAquarist advice. Manually remove every bit of algae you can. An old (or cheap) toothbrush works great for this. Then do a 50% water change. Probably twice a week if not more frequently for a few weeks. Add excel daily for a little while as well.

I suspect you don't have enough quick growing stems for a new tank as well. Adding some would be a good idea even if its just temporary.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:22 AM

Are you by any chance using the preset 24/7 lighting cycle? It only allows for something like 3 hours of darkness and will lead to algae growth. Regardless, try dialing back both intensity and duration for a few weeks and see if algae growth becomes more limited.

What's your maintenance routine, fertilizer dosing, and water parameters?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessAquarist View Post
What substrate are you using? Did you fully cycle the tank before adding any livestock? How long do you run your light for and at what power %? The best advice I could give is lower lighting time and intensity, do 50% water changes often for a little while.. and manually remove what algae you can. I always like to also use flourish excel a little heavy when I see an algae bloom but I don’t think it’s an absolute necessity. Hope some of this helps (more learned aquarists feel free to add on/ correct me)

CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My substrate is ADA Aquasoil, and I've been changing water about 50% weekly, so nowhere near those early levels. And I'm bad, I actually never checked the nitrogen levels of anything, it had been up for a couple months and with the plants figured one fish would be fine, perhaps not. I should clean it out and do a 1-2 punch, completely forgot about that.

Are there any stems that would grow in a low tech tank? Hygrophilia?

And I'm not using the preset cycle, it is hooked up to it's own timer. It turns on at I believe 4:30 and runs until around 9:30, all at full power. When I get home I'll test my parameters, maintenance is low, which is my goal, I will change other things before I commit to long term maintenance on this tank. I'm dosing nothing, figured for slow growing plants low tech I wouldn't have to, I do have a lot of ferts if needed though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode