20 gallon long - need replacement hang on back filter - looking for opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 20 gallon long - need replacement hang on back filter - looking for opinions

Good evening everyone,

I have a 20 gallon long, planted tank, with 5 guppies, one ghost shrimp and one nerite snail. My fluval C3 just took a crap on me and i want to replace it with a different filter. I personally dont want to go with the fluval or aquaclear again, i have actually be looking at the marineland penguin pro 275. What do you all think about the new penguin pro's and is 275 too much for a 20 gallon long.

I do plan to get more fish for the tank, looking at some more shrimp, maybe 2 otto catfish, and a hill stream loach.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2521 View Post
Good evening everyone,

I have a 20 gallon long, planted tank, with 5 guppies, one ghost shrimp and one nerite snail. My fluval C3 just took a crap on me and i want to replace it with a different filter. I personally dont want to go with the fluval or aquaclear again, i have actually be looking at the marineland penguin pro 275. What do you all think about the new penguin pro's and is 275 too much for a 20 gallon long.

I do plan to get more fish for the tank, looking at some more shrimp, maybe 2 otto catfish, and a hill stream loach.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Not used that brand of filter. I don't use HOB any more-pretty much all sponge filters, 1 canister, 1 tank with submerged pumps plumbed into large sponge filters, and with 1 internal filter with a spray bar.

Otos should be in shoals of 6 or more and only added to well established (up and running 4-6 months) tanks with lots of diatoms. They will be competing with the nerite for food.

Hillstream loaches-as the name implies come from very strong current waters. Not conducive for your guppies (dunno about the amano and high gph turn over).
Quote:
The water must be clean, well-oxygenated, and ideally turn over 15-20 times per hour so we suggest the use of an over-sized filter as a minimum requirement plus additional powerheads, airstones, etc., as necessary.
You'd need a fast filter (high gallon per hour (gph) and again well established with algae/diatom tank for them-lots of rocks covered in algae, and many owners with hill stream loaches will also culture algae on rocks in bins with lights to rotate through the aquarium as they get cleaned off. Again nerite and otos will be competing with loaches for food. I'd get 1 or the other.
quote from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...lia-lineolata/ love that site for fish info.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Not used that brand of filter. I don't use HOB any more-pretty much all sponge filters, 1 canister, 1 tank with submerged pumps plumbed into large sponge filters, and with 1 internal filter with a spray bar.

Otos should be in shoals of 6 or more and only added to well established (up and running 4-6 months) tanks with lots of diatoms. They will be competing with the nerite for food.

Hillstream loaches-as the name implies come from very strong current waters. Not conducive for your guppies (dunno about the amano and high gph turn over). You'd need a fast filter (high gallon per hour (gph) and again well established with algae/diatom tank for them-lots of rocks covered in algae, and many owners with hill stream loaches will also culture algae on rocks in bins with lights to rotate through the aquarium as they get cleaned off. Again nerite and otos will be competing with loaches for food. I'd get 1 or the other.
quote from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...lia-lineolata/ love that site for fish info.
Thanks for the response - sounds like the 275 would be good, and i agree with the ottos reading your post and that link. I think the one loach and some shrimp would do me good.

i appreciate it!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2521 View Post
Thanks for the response - sounds like the 275 would be good, and i agree with the ottos reading your post and that link. I think the one loach and some shrimp would do me good.

i appreciate it!
I'd go for the 450 if you can get it-no such thing as too much flow for hill stream loaches ^^
I've always wanted hill steam loaches but too lazy to deal with the rotating rocks and growing algae on them (no space)... maybe someday.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode