2Likes
  • 1 Post By AquaAurora
  • 1 Post By ustabefast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need opinions and help!

I have my beautiful betta fish Flounder in a 2.5 gallon with a piece of bogwood, java fern, a lone moss ball and a very small amazon sword plant! I'm 13 just so you get the idea: I wanted to get a 5 gallon tank originally and walstad it to the max. However my parents and me went to my lfs, my parents rushed into it bought a 2.5 gallon bowl and I went with it chose my betta, gravel substrate and plants. The woman at my lfs told me I would have to do water change every other day which I do however I just think Flounder deserves a bigger tank!

I've been desperate to this but my parents won't pay for it, so I'm selling some old books and should have a bit more to buy a tank, soil, sand and plants! If I was to buy a 5 gallon does anyone have any plants to reccomend, I need low light as I don't have many plug outlets on the cabinet I'll be keeping it on. It will hopefully house my male betta and a handfull of rcs.

Plants I was thinking of using: Dwarf hairgrass, duckweed, sagittaria subulata and thats it. Also for a soil I'll hopefully use miracle grow potting soil 🙂

I know that's a lot of information but I need some expert help and opinions 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseFighterx View Post
I have my beautiful betta fish Flounder in a 2.5 gallon with a piece of bogwood, java fern, a lone moss ball and a very small amazon sword plant! I'm 13 just so you get the idea: I wanted to get a 5 gallon tank originally and walstad it to the max. However my parents and me went to my lfs, my parents rushed into it bought a 2.5 gallon bowl and I went with it chose my betta, gravel substrate and plants. The woman at my lfs told me I would have to do water change every other day which I do however I just think Flounder deserves a bigger tank!

I've been desperate to this but my parents won't pay for it, so I'm selling some old books and should have a bit more to buy a tank, soil, sand and plants! If I was to buy a 5 gallon does anyone have any plants to reccomend, I need low light as I don't have many plug outlets on the cabinet I'll be keeping it on. It will hopefully house my male betta and a handfull of rcs.

Plants I was thinking of using: Dwarf hairgrass, duckweed, sagittaria subulata and thats it. Also for a soil I'll hopefully use miracle grow potting soil 🙂

I know that's a lot of information but I need some expert help and opinions 🙂
Thank you for not being a "it can live in a less than 0.5 tiny "tank"person!! Seriously there are a lot of adults that don't care (or care to learn) about thier bettas as much as you.

What are you using for a light? Medium and high level light options take just 1 plug on an outlet. On a smaller height tank like a 5g you can get stronger lighting cheap. I'm using finnex stingray clip light on my 6g long -about same height as a 5g.
Ps you can get a simple surge suppressor strip outlet for more plugs plus equipment won't fry if you have a an electrical surge.

For walsted tanks please read and watch videos about it-as you can get ahold of.
Key points:
organic soil only make sure it clearly lists what it's made of.
Make sure you add a lot of substrate cap (sand, gravel) the soil will expand as it absorbs more water-not enough cap soil will escape into water column and be a huge mess.
The best thing is to add a lot of plants at once to absorb the ammonia the soil will leech.
Don't add soil where there are no plants (under filter/driftwood, if front is going to be unplanted just use the cap sunstrate there)
Soil will leech ammonia so daily water changes will help for first few weeks to prevent algaes (especially if you put your betta in during this time-don't reccomend unless you are using an ammonia binder like Seachem Prime daily while ammonia is leeching from soil)
Floating plants are helpful!

Sag is a great plant for walsted tanks I used it in my old 3G bubble bowl, will dig up some old pics (oh god the old person is grabbing their photo albums better run! Haha). I've not really used dwarf hair grass so no comments on that.
I also have a soil based tank with crypts. They are slow growers and usually melt back when first added but will take off with time.
Swords will love soil too but be mindful many species get huge for a 5g. echinodorus parviflorus tropica is a smaller species, and chain sword but that is like dwarf sag. If you use other sword you can just trim back leaves as they get too large.

Last thing I want to say if you don't have one get a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and will be more active, interactive, and healthy in a warm tank (most people shoot for 76-82F).

edit: If you want an alternative to soil you can use plant root tabs-a lot of people buy osmocote+ root tabs (check her and e-bay) they are fairly cheap, 1 tab stuffed in substrate per every 3" square area of plants. Doesn't have ammonia leeching issues, but do need replaced (aka add a new 1) every 6-9 months (plants will tell you buy showing nutrient deficiencies).

crypts and sag + duckweed with soil base (8g bubble bowl)

sag and salvinia minima flaoter (3g bubble bowl)

crypts and moss (little bit of duckweed) soil based 6g long
trahana likes this.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 02-09-2020 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added info photos
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow! Your tanks are amazing, I've noted sagittaria subulata is going to be one of my main plants and as for a heater the room my betta is in stays about 24įc which I think is about 75f or 76f not sure. I think I prefer dirt with a cap over using root tabs as well 🙂

Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseFighterx View Post
Wow! Your tanks are amazing, I've noted sagittaria subulata is going to be one of my main plants and as for a heater the room my betta is in stays about 24įc which I think is about 75f or 76f not sure. I think I prefer dirt with a cap over using root tabs as well 🙂

Thanks for the help!
Thank you ^^ these photos were all after several months so plants had time to settle in and adjust to the environment and take off.

26 C is 75.2F ^^
Glad to hear its a warm room! My house is cold so I have to use heaters ^^
Happy to help and gl

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

Do you ever check Craigslist for aquarium equipment?
You just may find a 5 or 10 gallon tank with some extras for cheap or Free.
Check the Free section. You never know.
If your room is already in the mid 70's you have no need for a heater.
MD500_Pilot likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabefast View Post
I've never thought about it, I might take a look.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabefast View Post
This is a great idea, I have found a lot of good deals on Craigslist!

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Algae Grower

Go for a LED light

There are cheap low power LED lights you can get which are good for plant growth. I will post a picture of my small tank, no betta just a male pearl/lace gourami who was too cantakerous for the community tank. My poor betta had shreded fins, all healed now. He is all deep rosy red except for electric blue on the tips of his ventral fins. My idea of perfection.

i'll post pictures soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

My setup

Attachment 893479

Bump: I started out a bit younger than you with a 5g my sister gave me for a birthday present. There was a couple who lived about a mile away, she bred fish and he made tanks. He made me a 12g to fit my chest of drawers and I put a double fluorescent light fitting of EXACTLY the right length I found in a skip (just needed a new starter and a plug) on it and the plants grew well even with the UGF.

I now have a 10g community with an external canister filter and a humate sublayer and my plants love it. The Vals especially. I also have a plastic 10g with a crack back top right which I part fill and use to culture daphnia and snails. I have dwarf chain loaches (sidthimunki) who are baby snail eaters. I call that tank the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200216_171710267.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	893481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200216_171646474.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	893483  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode