Not in the U.S. - The Planted Tank Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not in the U.S.

This is a video of Green Aqua in Budapest narrated by George Farmer

When I see a video like this, it reminds me how far behind the U.S. is in its acceptance of aquascaping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Planted Member

Oh man. I would love to have a store like that nearby!
Asteroid likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, absolutely agree. I personally have never been to a store that has strong knowledge of planted tanks. Only one ever used CO2, and they only open on Sunday's now (went into services business).

The local knowledge around me for planted tanks, high tech or not, is severely limited.

We have one fantastic LFS, only about two years old. They have potential to bring the planted aspect to the next level. I sure hope they can pull it off! If I had more time I would try to partner with him on a scape or something.

|

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:49 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Support your local fish store, folks! If there was the market, we would have brick and mortar shops like this. When I ran mine, I was asked for more often "What the cheapest fish you got?" than anything having to do with plants. And that was at a reef centered shop catering to hobbyists. In the US, they'd probably have people pointing at a centerpiece plant in one of those displays and then pitching a fit that the shop owner wouldn't sell it to them. /end jaded rant

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Yes, absolutely agree. I personally have never been to a store that has strong knowledge of planted tanks. Only one ever used CO2, and they only open on Sunday's now (went into services business).
It is amazing how the co2 aspect has not reached most stores. I guess they don't really consider plants a major revenue source, but if they were able to display incredible planted tanks it would certainly help with interest.

The service aspect for a LFS is huge from what I can tell. With a good service business you can sustain the brick n mortar by moving lots of product on a regular basis. The service end is all salt. As the fish take center stage. Most won't spend for service or big install when the plants are the main actors.
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I donít think the average freshwater hobbyist would buy from GreenAqua They where here in the states. They are an ADA dealer and deal with serious hobbyist. Itís not a local LFS. Itís a specialty shop. There are many Saltwater stores like this. The freshwater hobbyist wants no Co2 no fert. To have a store like GreenAqua you need customers to support it.
They have developed a business based on knowledge and good equipment and supplies.
Quesenek and Desert Pupfish like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
I donít think the average freshwater hobbyist would buy from GreenAqua They where here in the states. They are an ADA dealer and deal with serious hobbyist. Itís not a local LFS. Itís a specialty shop. There are many Saltwater stores like this. The freshwater hobbyist wants no Co2 no fert. To have a store like GreenAqua you need customers to support it.
They have developed a business based on knowledge and good equipment and supplies.
Yes that's what I"m saying. The support in the U.S. isn't there for a store like this. Aqua Forest in SF is also an ADA dealer and devoted to aquascaping but it doesn't come close to this.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
This is a video of Green Aqua in Budapest narrated by George Farmer

When I see a video like this, it reminds me how far behind the U.S. is in its acceptance of aquascaping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XxSevFKjY
I saw this a few weeks ago & agree totally ,same here in Canada. I will be in Europe this Spring, and Green Aqua is definitely on my must see list !!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Yes that's what I"m saying. The support in the U.S. isn't there for a store like this. Aqua Forest in SF is also an ADA dealer and devoted to aquascaping but it doesn't come close to this.
Yeah unfortunately the population of US aquascapers are too spread out across the country and in any city that has a big enough population to support such a store the rents are probably too high to have a large showroom. Luckily these days we do have great mail order options though, including Aqua Forest in SF.

Green Aqua has a great Youtube channel as well with informative videos and charismatic scapers.
Asteroid likes this.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post

Green Aqua has a great Youtube channel as well with informative videos and charismatic scapers.
Your right, their videos are appealing/entertaining. It's actually hard to even thing of a well know aquascaper in the U.S., let alone being charismatic.
Quesenek likes this.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Triport I can hardly imagine what the rent would be for a place that large in any decent part of any major city on the west coast any ways. I know in Seattle it would probably be $10k plus a month if you could find one, and if it was even located somewhere with a customer base that could afford the stuff. Devoting that much room to show which understandably in this situation is what gets people to want that setup and to try and emulate it so in a way its a huge requirement to the business. Still that would be a scary small business to dive into with the fluctuation on peoples devotion to hobbies.

Would be nice though. The two somewhat close LFSs closed up over the last 6 months or so in my area. Aquarium CO-OP is half an hour in the wrong direction which would turn my hour commute (one way) into a two hour commute so I never go down there.

The local petco has been ordering a bunch of plants which is nice, actually largest selection of plants Ive scene in a while. Only problem is they throw them in with there fish so ya run the risk of bringing stuff home. I am still a little bitter at them and petsmart due to when my parents had there LFS. As Blue Ridge Reef knows customers come in a pic your brain for all the good information then walk across the street and buy whole setups from the dollar pet store. Atleast thats how it use to be. Super annoying.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

To my knowledge there are only a handful of aquascaping stores in the entire United States, but they do exist. There is Brooklyn Hardscape:

Aquarium Zen out in Seattle:

and Aquarium Design Group down in Texas

I sadly do not live near any of these places and thus haven't been to them in person. So we do have them, but they are spread out pretty far. In contrast the UK has at least 3 or 4 aquascaping stores in an area roughly the size of Alabama.
Asteroid likes this.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

I was going to visit the Brooklyn store, unfortunately they have closed. I'm not sure if they are relocating, changing their business plan or what.

There are definitely some stores like Aquaforest, but nothing to the scale and presentation of a Green Aqua. ADG is very impressive and I think they were the 1st ADA distributor in the US, before that ended. Their more an overall aquarium installer/store, doing FO, Salt, and Planted.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Support your local fish store, folks!
I try. I understand they are working in a small market, so I do what I can. I asked them a few months ago to order me some c. habrosus (specifically said this twice) and they tried to give me c. paleatus. I did end up buying the last 5 kuhli loaches from them so the trip wasn't a complete waste of time. I ended up driving 2 hours (one way) to Minneapolis to pick up the habrosus.I
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I buy most of my equipment form Aqua Forest and Aquarium Design Group.
Will be posting a build thread on my new ADA 120P tank soon. Just got the stand from ADG. I support the people that carrying the equipment I use.
With planted tanks a local LFS has to jump in fully. Not dip your toes into it.
US stores are so pressed by online sales that they are lucky to just stay open.
Blue Ridge Reef and evil8 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode