New house and new tank shopping - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
New house and new tank shopping

We are currently in the process of hopefully owning a house soon! Lovely 1,100 square feet with tons of potential for room. Currently in our mobile home, I'm limited to a 36 inch tank due to lack of space. I'm dying to setup a 4 foot tank. If everything works out and we end up moving, I am certainly going to. I'm not entirely sure which size to go with though. I know there are the timeless issues of having a 55 and not enough depth but at this point, I don't really care. I have had a 55 in the past and really enjoyed it.

Here are the tanks I am considering

33 Long
40 Long
55 gallon

75 gallon

Petsmart tends to have Marineland 75 gallon ensembles for 300 dollars on sale all the time. So that would be a great route to go. But, I don't know if I necessarily need a 75. Maintenance-wise... I don't know if I have enough time for that. So a 40 long or 55 gallon might be better. Seapora also makes an oddball sized tank which they call a 60 regular. It is 48x15x16 or something like that. Not too bad.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-06-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: bacon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I like both the 55 and 75.

RAOK Club #55
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd go with a 75, they just seem to be the sweet spot In terms of dimensions

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Planted Member

I vote 55 if size or maintenance is a concern at all.

bigger is better......until it isn't.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Get the 75. Maintenance is not that different for larger tanks IMO. I have a 33 long and am not in love with it. 75 is a nice length and depth.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

Seems intuitive that the larger you go the more maintenance there is. I'll grant that 55-75 isn't much of a difference but certainly it would be more, If only marginally so. More makeup/change water, more/bigger filter, more plants, etc, etc. I know from following your journals you seem somewhat undaunted by maintenance having a few good sized tanks now. But for some maintenance becomes a chore so then even marginally smaller/less maintenance may be beneficial?

I will say you Triport would know better than me the difference in maintaining different sized tanks as in my adult life all I've ever had are 45g bowfronts. Kind of weird how it's worked out but that's the size I used for a reef tank for many years and now when I got back into aquariums again after close to ten years off I got the exact same size/style of tank again. How boring! Lol. So Blackheart if you already had a 55g maybe you need to break the mold and go with a 75g just so you don't wind up stuck in a tank size rut like me.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

75 is the better choice, it might take 5 more minutes for maintenance. I find 55s harder to deal with as they are so narrow, and harder to scape, the 75 the depth of view is far superior. Given the choice between a 55 and a 40B i would choose the 40 for the same reason.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatroy50 View Post
75 is the better choice, it might take 5 more minutes for maintenance. I find 55s harder to deal with as they are so narrow, and harder to scape, the 75 the depth of view is far superior. Given the choice between a 55 and a 40B i would choose the 40 for the same reason.
My thoughts exactly. I had a 55, which is gone. I now have a 75 and a 40 breeder. The 18 depth front to back is amazing for scape as well as room for fish and plants.

If you want smaller, I recommend 40. If you are thinking 55 just grab the 75 now. Your future self will thank you!

|

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:41 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
55's are very popular and low priced but there's very little depth to decorate with. And you'll be surprised at how many things such as rocks and wood won't fit in them with any clearance from the sides. An 18" tank gives you so much more room. I'd take a 40 breeder over a 55, personally.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I already have a 40 breeder. And like I said, I want a 4 foot tank. 40 breeders are not 4 foot tanks. A tank that would have the same height and depth as a 40 breeder but 48 inches would be nice though.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I already have a 40 breeder. And like I said, I want a 4 foot tank. 40 breeders are not 4 foot tanks. A tank that would have the same height and depth as a 40 breeder but 48 inches would be nice though.
There is your 75 then!

|

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
Seems intuitive that the larger you go the more maintenance there is. I'll grant that 55-75 isn't much of a difference but certainly it would be more, If only marginally so. More makeup/change water, more/bigger filter, more plants, etc, etc. I know from following your journals you seem somewhat undaunted by maintenance having a few good sized tanks now. But for some maintenance becomes a chore so then even marginally smaller/less maintenance may be beneficial?

I will say you Triport would know better than me the difference in maintaining different sized tanks as in my adult life all I've ever had are 45g bowfronts. Kind of weird how it's worked out but that's the size I used for a reef tank for many years and now when I got back into aquariums again after close to ten years off I got the exact same size/style of tank again. How boring! Lol. So Blackheart if you already had a 55g maybe you need to break the mold and go with a 75g just so you don't wind up stuck in a tank size rut like me.
Yeah but that is what I am saying. At my last place my largest tank was a 46 bowfront and now I have the 100 and 120 and they are not really more work as far as time goes. Now as far as cost of materials to set up and water for water changes that will of course be more. And proximity to your water source is important. I wouldn't have gotten the larger tanks if I had to shlep water across the house in a bucket (that is something that I did when I was younger and had a 125 and it was definitely awful). So for this new house I planned ahead and made sure I knew where I wanted the tanks and that it would not be an inconvenience that lead to me not taking good care of them.

At the end of the day I think it is probably rare for people to say "Gee I wish I had bought a smaller tank." Usually the other way around. So if you can afford the 75 go that route.
Streetwise likes this.

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I started with a 36" 55 tall, and now have a 48" 75g. I echo other's sentiments about the 55 being hard to scape. For me the extra depth makes it really hard to plant & maintain. For that reason I'm pulling out most of the stems and making it mostly a crypt tank, with a couple swords, some java moss, etc. Just set up the 75, and will be planting it this weekend. It can hold so many more plants (went kinda crazy buying everything I'd been wanting) I'm already wishing I'd gotten a 90 gallon. Whoever said size doesn't matter was lying....

Whatever you end up getting, have fun!
Streetwise likes this.

Last edited by Desert Pupfish; 02-07-2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Oxford comma
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Take a drive down Gratiot. Flower Barn Nursery (just down the road from Macomb Mall) has some good deals going on right for tanks.

I start at 9 Mile (Stingray Bay) and drive up to Petco on 15 Mile in your neck of the world. Awesome stores along the way, Oceans and Seas (12 Mile, while they are mainly SW, they do a FW section but their SW tanks have to seen!). For for a drive the other way, in Clinton Township Tropical Paradise and a bit further in New Baltimore, Anchor Bay.

Gary
Streetwise likes this.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am not in the same state/province, but I totally relate to the aquarium store driving loop. Sometimes I will drive south from Waterbury, VT, and hit a PetSmart, and OneStop Country Pets in Barre, VT, and sometimes I will go north and hit PetSmart, PetCo, and Pet Advantage in Williston/Burlington/South Burlington, VT. Some days I will visit all five stores in the same day because Subaru driving is fun in Vermont.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode