New house and new tank shopping - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
55 Gallon tanks are possible one of the worst designs for an aquarium ever. Too tall, and not too deep really limiting what you can do. If you can fine one, a 40 Breeder is always nice.

Aquariums are always good in eyesight. I find that the ones people keep in their bedrooms, or Offices (not including me) tend to get neglected.

Gary
Agreed. I'd have to plunge in up to my armpits, and then I couldn't really see what I was doing. Scaping by Braille is less than optimal--and it showed. And you're completely right about tanks in bedrooms getting less attention. Now that my 55 is in there, I'm transitioning it to a lower maintenance tank with mostly crypts, ferns, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Never had a problem with my 55 when I had it. I loved it. I loved watching my huge school of Neons swim back and forth. Sure it would have been nice with a little more depth, but oh well. IMO for a tank strictly for the fish aspect, it's a good size.
Yep, the 55 is a great size for some fish. It's perfect for my angels. Now that mine are grown and pairing off, I'm keeping one pair in the 55 in my bedroom to spawn and raise their brood in, and the rest will go into the 75 in the living room. Looking forward to scaping the 75 with its larger footprint, but visually I'm already missing the height. Oh well, can't have everything (including longer arms, it seems)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go for the 75. Lights can always offload or use for another project or keep as a backup.

I gave the darn thing away. I did keep Angels, Amazon Swords and Crypts in it, but it's all it was really good for. In the end, I offloaded and will never own one again. Personal opinion though.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What thing? lol the 55 gallon tank or a light?

I think I will probably go with a 75 gallon tank. I wonder if two Aquaclear 70 filters would be enough filtration for a 75 gallon? That's 140 gallons of filtration on a 75 gallon tank though.

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

That's some serious filtration, you may find yourself adjusting the flow a bit. Ever consider using a Canister Filter?

Gary

post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's not that much. I have used two AC 70 filters on a 55 before and it was fine. I don't use canisters because I hate the setup and and overall difficult process to clean them.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Small update... So.. unfortunately.. Purchasing this particular home fell through Found out during the inspection the home was built with no foundation. That was a big no no. If not the biggest no no lol No bank will approve a mortgage for a house like that.

So... back to square one. I have decided to go with a 55 for now I think. I picked up a decent stand for a 48x12 tank today. When I'm finally actually in a home, I will more than likely upgrade to a 75.

I can get a 55 from Pet Supplies Plus right now for 70 dollars + 20% off. Not too shabby. Aqueon branded of course.

From my LFS, I can also get a 33 long for 100 dollars made by Seapora. The same LFS also has a Marineland 40 long for.... 150 dollars tank only... yikes. WAY too much. The most affordable tank in that footprint is the 55.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get the Seapora 33!

8/10 of my tanks are Deep Blue, which is now the same brand.

The glass looks amazing, and the black silicon is great, if that is true for that tank.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nah. I decided to go with the Seapora 55. Pretty nice built tank. Never had Seapora before. All the trim and everything looked perfect with nice black seals. It was also only 10 more dollars than the 33, as opposed to paying almost 50 extra dollars for a 40 long. Idk why those are so expensive. Maybe because it was Marineland and the 33/55 were Seapora.

I still could have got an Aqueon 55 for 70 bucks or cheaper... but thats always a battle finding a tank that looks good. I would rather pay a little extra for a tank that looks better with black silicone.

The new 55 setup.... think the minimalist stand looks good.

And... bottom pic... this happened with my old 58 that I've had for three years on accident. Buh bye 58. Was a nice run
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200215_125147_1581791483364.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	893429  

Name:	20200215_124533_1581791568829.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	893431  

post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good! I didn't read carefully enough to see that you were also talking about a Seapora 55.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well... was originally gonna do Aqueon.. but since I have a small chunk of cash now that I was saving for the house... decided to spend a little extra to get what I really want.

Also Gary aka Crazygar.. I am planning on selling my 40 breeder setup if your interested for a reasonable price since your not too far from me. I have virtually everything with it. Tank, solid wood poplar stand like they carry at Seaworld/ocean and seas/stingray bay, beamswork led light, glass lids. Everything is in pretty good shape. Especially the tank. Was only purchased in August. I also have 2 AC 70 power filters if you want them but I'd have to clean them up a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200105_160550_1581793202134.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	893433  

Crazygar likes this.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Algae Grower

Nice setup! Unfortunately not in the market right now for another tank (I'm trying not to let MTS control me like I did before), though I'm sure with GDAS (they just had their giant auction/raffle) you can sell the tank quickly.

There are a few others from the area as well.

Go to the Windsor Aquarium Society Forum and post the tank for sale there, there is always someone looking for a tank such as that.

Gary

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I usually just use craigslist.

The 55 I picked up over the weekend... I'm having some second thoughts about it now. I think I'm going to try to exchange it for a 33 or 40 long. That is.. if the LFS let's me. Seems that most LFS have this policy that once you walk out the door with the tank they won't let you return it. BS if you ask me. I haven't had a problem with this place though so far with things of that nature. Might go better considering I just want to exchange and not return.

I am really considering that 33 Long from Seapora. The Marineland 40 long they have is a nice tank also, but I can't say whether or not it's worth it to pay an extra 50 dollars for 7 gallons of water compared to the 33 which is only 100 dollars. That doesn't really seem worth it.

I am somewhat hesitant about it though because I've never had a tank this short before. Not since my 10 gallon days. But... I think it's a unique and interesting size. Definitely has to be really easy in the maintenance department. 99% of people it seems really seem to enjoy this size tank. Between all the 30-45 gallon tanks or so, it seems like IMO, the two favorites are 40 breeders and 33 longs. Most of the time while actually viewing the tank, I will probably be sitting in my chair so that might not be an issue.

On another note... I wish they made tanks more common that were 48x12x18. That IMO is a great size. Would be like either 45 or 50 gallons. I like the idea of having a 4 foot tank, but one that's not gigantic in size like a 55.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

I know this sounds a little crazy, but why not get something custom built. Doesn't have to be Starfire Glass etc but there are more than a few places (I believe one in Sterling Heights) that would do it. Since you don't want anything fancy, it may cost you as much as a regular aquarium but the specs you want.

Once again, I loathe entirely 55 GAL Aquariums for Aquascaping. If you plan to keep strictly fish and creatively attempt to Aquascape it is feasible:

TFH Magazine Forum ? View topic - Different algaes as tank matures

It's an old thread, but this is what I manage to create with a 55GAL way back in the early days.

Gary

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nah. Not really my thing. The owner is nice and chill and was like "yeah sure you can exchange it." Good man. I've had a LFS once tell me "oh you can't take back that tank because it could be compromised for the next person." That's nothing but a BS line. They just didn't want to return it/deal with it. Even though I had bought it like 2 days prior.

One thing I also noticed... The spot where I had planned on putting the tank.. the floor is uneven... Don't really particularly want that amount of weight on my floor like that. a 33 long is 200 pounds lighter than a 55 when filled up with water.

Still don't know what to go with though. The 33L or 40L. I like the fact that the 33 is so short to make maintenance easy, but sadly doesn't give much viewing space. 40 gives more viewing space but is 50 dollars more.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

I'd go for the 40L. For an extra 50, that's worth it. It all boils down to budget and what you want.

Gary

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode