New house and new tank shopping - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sterling Heights is a 30 minute drive across the border for me. Most of that travel time is waiting.

Yeah, going for a drive is always a good thing. Unfortunately the Greater Detroit area is not as scenic as Vermont, unless you consider Strip Malls and and traffic as scenic, then it's the best view on the planet.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Take a drive down Gratiot. Flower Barn Nursery (just down the road from Macomb Mall) has some good deals going on right for tanks.

I start at 9 Mile (Stingray Bay) and drive up to Petco on 15 Mile in your neck of the world. Awesome stores along the way, Oceans and Seas (12 Mile, while they are mainly SW, they do a FW section but their SW tanks have to seen!). For for a drive the other way, in Clinton Township Tropical Paradise and a bit further in New Baltimore, Anchor Bay.

Gary

I have been to all those. By far my favorite place out of all them to just wander around is Seaworld. They also always have 33 longs in stock. The store in general is ridiculously high though. Stingray bay is awesome. Good people. Cheap too! Cheaper than most on a lot of tank setup stuff depending on when you go there. I have bought stuff there before.

Not really a fan of Oceans and Seas. They are high and also also have ridiculous return policies.

Also on a separate note, our offer was accepted!! Now onward to being inspected.
Crazygar, Triport and Squisher like this.
post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good news on the house congrats!

As for your Local Fish Stores, funny, Seaworld has always been a favorite of mine. But I generally spend my $$ at Anchor Bay. Check out Pet Supplies Plus in Livonia (7 Mile and Middlebelt) and some good places out in Taylor and Dearborn if you willing to drive around.

Gary

post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
If there are petcos near where you move call them (all of them you're willing to drive to) every few months about their $1 per a gallon deal. I've gotten 3 75g tanks at petco with these deals! Petco is not suppose to sell 75gs but they do get them sometimes. My husband built simple sturdy wood stands with 4x4s and 2x4s for under $100 total. If you want even cheaper the not so pretty cinder block and 2x4 will cost less and easy to take apart and move.
Filtration and lighting pricing is all that left depends on what you want.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@AquaAurora Why is petco not suppose to sell 75g? Or do u mean for the 1 dollar deal? In my area they usually fall in the 50% off sale vs the dollar sale. Still end up being pretty good deal. Usually always have one or two in stock

post #21 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
@AquaAurora Why is petco not suppose to sell 75g? Or do u mean for the 1 dollar deal? In my area they usually fall in the 50% off sale vs the dollar sale. Still end up being pretty good deal. Usually always have one or two in stock
That's been my experience. DPG is for any size up to 29g, and anything above is 50% off. I think this only applies to the standard Aqueon black-rimmed tanks. But not all stores cary the larger sizes, nor will they order them--that's why you've gotta call or drive around. I had to go 5 hrs RT to San Diego for my 75g (was there anyway for mtgs). At 50% off it was $99+tax.
Wishing now I'd gotten a 90g....
post #22 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Some Petco's carry 75 gallon tanks and some don't. But they should be 50% off for the dollar a gallon sale if they do carry them.

post #23 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
That's been my experience. DPG is for any size up to 29g, and anything above is 50% off. I think this only applies to the standard Aqueon black-rimmed tanks. But not all stores cary the larger sizes, nor will they order them--that's why you've gotta call or drive around. I had to go 5 hrs RT to San Diego for my 75g (was there anyway for mtgs). At 50% off it was $99+tax.

Gotcha, thats odd they wouldnt order them. Guess ya gotta do the whole order online thing and pick in store or something. The closest one to me carries the 5,10,20H,20L,29,38 (odd tank),40B, 55, and 75s. Dont recall seeing anything bigger in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Some Petco's carry 75 gallon tanks and some don't. But they should be 50% off for the dollar a gallon sale if they do carry them.

Thats been my experience like DP mentioned above. Dollar sale only applies up to 29g for there standard tanks, still not a bad deal 50% off. Better then what people usually try to sell used for on CL.

post #24 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Gotcha, thats odd they wouldnt order them. Guess ya gotta do the whole order online thing and pick in store or something. The closest one to me carries the 5,10,20H,20L,29,38 (odd tank),40B, 55, and 75s. Dont recall seeing anything bigger in there.
Tried ordering a 75g online for in-store pickup, but the website wouldn't let me. Asked at my local store if they could order it for me, but was told they weren't allowed to special order sale items like this. Guess they don't wanna get stuck with a hard-to-sell larger tank if someone changes their mind.

Would be interested to know if anyone has ever been able to get a 90g or larger tank for 50% off during their DPG sale, and if they were able to order it, or had to find a store that had one in stock.
post #25 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
If there are petcos near where you move call them (all of them you're willing to drive to) every few months about their $1 per a gallon deal.
Exactly this! I have 5 Petcos in driving distance. Only 3 have fish departments and only 1 regularly carries 75 gallon tanks, but they are 50% during the $1/gallon sale. I searched and searched when I was designing my tanks and no one approached that deal. Super happy with my 75 gallon tank. I was going with a 55 gallon until I realized the 75 gallon had a similar footprint with so many more stocking options.

Have fun and congrats on the house!

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare
Though she be but little, she is fierce. -William Shakespeare
post #26 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Ah in my area they aren't suppose to sell 75gs (smaller stores). And I'd gotten them on the $1 per price but that was 2 years ago guess they changed thier policy (or I got lucky with an uninformed employee). But 50%off is still good.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #27 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

As for your Local Fish Stores, funny, Seaworld has always been a favorite of mine. But I generally spend my $$ at Anchor Bay. Check out Pet Supplies Plus in Livonia (7 Mile and Middlebelt) and some good places out in Taylor and Dearborn if you willing to drive around.

Gary

If you're really feeling nomadic get out to Preuss Pets in Lansing

+1 on the 75...the extra 6" front-to-back makes a world of difference
Crazygar likes this.
post #28 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Gary

Yeah Livonia and Lansing are way too far for me lol

Every time there is a dpg sale by me, they usually have 75 gallon tanks. Not a lot of them, but they do have them. For my Michigan familiar peeps, something strange happened at the last dpg sale sale in Troy which I tend to frequent... They had 90 gallon tanks! <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png" border="0" alt="" title="EEK! Surprise!" >:-)</a> I don't know whether they were actually part of the sale or not considering it didn't say they were, but man if I had the room and they were, I would have snatched one of those babies up.

The tank sizes I'm debating are 55/75 gallon. And possibly, if I'm feeling bold enough, a 90 gallon.

So I'm stuck in a bad spot though. I have always kept my tanks in my living room. Sadly the way the living room is setup here, there is no room for a tank. Especially a 48 inch long tank. The tank will have to be put back in the huge mudroom we have. That's fine, but kind of a bummer as I like to be able to sit in the living room and actively see my tank. There is a small "bedroom" office room connected to the living room which is gonna be my sons room until he's big enough to go upstairs in the room up there... but then that is where I will put my tank in the future when he does. We might even knock the wall down there and have it joined with the rest of the living room. Heres a pic of the back room though which will be our pantry and fish tank room lol
Attached Images

post #29 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

55 Gallon tanks are possible one of the worst designs for an aquarium ever. Too tall, and not too deep really limiting what you can do. If you can fine one, a 40 Breeder is always nice.

Ha ha. Livonia too far. Bummer you can't fit it in your living room, Aquariums are always good in eyesight. I find that the ones people keep in their bedrooms, or Offices (not including me) tend to get neglected.

Gary

post #30 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
55 Gallon tanks are possible one of the worst designs for an aquarium ever. Too tall, and not too deep really limiting what you can do. If you can fine one, a 40 Breeder is always nice.

Ha ha. Livonia too far. Bummer you can't fit it in your living room, Aquariums are always good in eyesight. I find that the ones people keep in their bedrooms, or Offices (not including me) tend to get neglected.

Gary

Never had a problem with my 55 when I had it. I loved it. I loved watching my huge school of Neons swim back and forth. Sure it would have been nice with a little more depth, but oh well. IMO for a tank strictly for the fish aspect, it's a good size. Especially if you only keep smaller, peaceful schooling species like I do. Biggest fish I've done are Colombian Tetras. And like I said, I currently have a 40 breeder right now. I am looking to upgrade to a 48 inch tank lol So having one doesn't do much for me. I might possibly sell it when I do get a new tank. Or stick it in the garage. I actually have a 36x18 stand and a 40 breeder and also my old 58 gallon tank. That 75 at Petsmart is awfully temping that they usually have on sale for 300 dollars that comes with the tank, the stand, glass lids and crappy light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode