Has anyone found a good plant supplier? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've used Buce plants, Aquarium co-op, and Aquarium plants Factory without incident.
I actually pointed out to Aquarium plant factory the website layout was bad on my computer and they not only responded but they fixed the next day, but they sent me a coupon too <3

For Buceplants, don't buy the bundles, they send out smaller and less colorful specimens.

trahana: now with a custom signature. ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 for the best plants & best service from other forum members on here. Burr740 & BartoHog have been great. I've also had good luck with ebay--both private hobbyists and there are a number of companies close to me in the San Gabriel Valley that appear to be resellers from China. Good prices, and free 1-2 day shipping since they're less than an hour away.

I've had trouble sourcing some of the less common aponogetons. One company in Florida offered to ship my order w/o the bulbs I'd ordered--saying they'd ship them when they arrived, but I'd have to pay for shipping again. Needless to say I cancelled that order. Was stupid enough to try again when they showed what I wanted in stock, finally. But when it arrived, they didn't tell me they'd pulled a bait & switch--substituting the common A undulatus for the A. capuronii & A crispus I'd ordered. They did refund me when I called them on it.

I did manage to find the aponogetons I was looking for from PlantedAquariumsCentral in AZ. Great prices, and had some rare things I'd been unable to source elsewhere.

I've spent way more on plants than I have on fish LOL
Triport likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
So if given a choice for the same plant in either tissue culture or submersed form what do most of you prefer?

If I was starting a brand new tank with mostly stem plants I would definitely go all TC plants if I could. That was what I did for my old 40 breeder and I literally had zero algae problems. It was amazing. First time I have ever experienced that in any newly set up aquarium. And they are super easy to plant out and design with from tc and it is super rewarding to see them grow and fill in.

For plants like Crypts just keep in mind that tc plants can take as long as a year to take off. So you have to be patient. But it is a good way to get a lot of something that is otherwise expensive.

ETA: Since I realized I didn't fully answer your question of TC vs. emersed for me it is TC all the way. I personally have found that some specific plants adapted to life under water much better from TC stock than emersed grown. Off the top of my head this includes plants like Hygrophilla pinatifida, Nesaea, Staurogyne, Pogostemon etc. I had multiple failures with them emersed but they grew for me with no problems as TC plants.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Thanks for that @Triport. I just ordered some plants for a new setup and I was curious to try some TC stuff. As I get the tank going and see what else I need I'll probably get from hobbyists here.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I mostly buy on this forum. Have had some really good.. and some really bad experiences. But same for going to other plant sale sites or e-bay.
Read sellers description and reviews carefully.
Ask seller a lot of questions: emersed/submerged grown? algaes? snails? other pests like planaria/hydra/detritus worms/limpets/scuds? kept with other fish? any chemicals used on these plants/in their tank? How long has the seller had the plants (big seller gets new stuff in constantly-more likely to come with bad things they won't see..like rhizome rot on anubias)
Get good clear photos of what you're getting for your $ to see portion size and quality.
Double check shipping method and what they do to insulate in cold/hot months.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

I bought tissue culture plants from Aqua Forest Aquarium along with Amazonia light(which is now discontinued). I started my new 10 gallon with all new equipment and didn't add fish for months. The tank was totally algae free. Only after I decided to add a plant from one of the aquariums of a local pet store did I have any algae at all. I also dose Excel. However, I recommend TC plants and AFA. Another nice experience with TC plants is you avoid the "planting panic" that one can feel with other non-TC plants. You donít have to immediately plant TC plants. I recently bought a plant in a Petco store but it was their version of TC plants.
Triport likes this.

Tags
nursery, plants, suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode