Ohko Dragon Stone leeching clay, any tips? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ohko Dragon Stone leeching clay, any tips?

Wanted to use this rock for a shrimp tank because I think it would make a great cliff face, but no matter how much I scrub with a toothbrush, more clay keeps coming out.

I did a search and the consensus is that Ohko is inert, and others say it raised their TDS, but I suspect this is because they did not clean it adequately beforehand.

I'm going to leave it in a bucket and make sure it doesn't raise the TDS before setting up my tank, but does anyone have any other tips or advice for making sure it doesn't leech more minerals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soaking it in a bucket for a few days and scrubbing it is your best bet, but if it continues then that rock is simply too old and weathered for use in an aquarium. You'll have to go to Plan B.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzite View Post

I did a search and the consensus is that Ohko is inert, and others say it raised their TDS, but I suspect this is because they did not clean it adequately beforehand.
My suspicion is that a lot of different rocks with this look are collected and sold as "Ohko" or dragon stone or so forth. I've bought it from at least two different sellers and mine was not inert. It wasn't a matter of cleaning in my case because it failed the acid test anywhere I put it. Yours may be though. I'd soak it and then try pressure. Even a hard spray from a garden hose should get the now-soft clay loose or a pressure washer could do even better. If you have or can get 10% hydrochloric acid, put some on a spot you know is free of clay. If it fizzes, you'll know that all the cleaning in the world isn't going to fix the problem. Fingers crossed for you!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I have found it to be a bit soft and powdery but a soak and then a rinse under a strong flow of water from sink or hose (making sure to get into all the little holes) seems to do the trick. The holes do seem to collect a soft, clay-like, mud that you can rinse away. After a good rinse I haven't noticed any leaching once in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
My suspicion is that a lot of different rocks with this look are collected and sold as "Ohko" or dragon stone or so forth.
The names were just invented by someone that liked the look. They are not names of a particular type of rock. Some is likely sedimentary and other are likely of a much harder material . If it is sedimentary it will likely leach minerals and may eventually fall apart to sand or clay. You have no way of knowing if the rock is safe for your aquarium util after you purchase it and test it.
Quote:
Since the rocks can come from many different places some will likely leach while others will not Customer reviews are also of no help since the PH may dramatically affect the rate minerals will leach out of the rock. You are less likely to have a leaching issue if your PH is above 7. But if your Ph less than 7 leaching is likely.

If you put the rock in bucket to test it add some vinegar or nitric acid or some other acid you have. if the rock leaches mineral it will do so faster in acidic water.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
ok thanks, so what I'm hearing is to get a bucket of RO water, add vinegar, then test TDS. Then add my rock and see if TDS goes up after a week?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode