Shrimp time? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp time?

I have a heavily planted tank that I neglected when my CO2 ran out for a month and I was "too busy" to replace it. Well, algae took over. Now things are back in balance and pristine again but I have leftover algae on some surfaces. I'm thinking shrimp... I do have a 4-5" Red Tailed Shark and two 2" Bolivian Rams that are concerning me. Aside from those only small guppies, tetras and 3 bronze corys. Plants are dense with thick areas that fish cannot even enter. Should I do Cherry shrimp and hope they reproduce faster than they are eaten? Or Amano shrimp and hope they don't get eaten? Or forget shrimp because the Rams will tear them up no matter what? I do have baby guppies that survive regularly and that says to me that maybe the shrimp could hide and survive. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:03 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'd expect baby shrimp to have a hard time growing up in the hardscrabble streets of that aquarium! Tetras and guppies will eat baby shrimp, most anything without a sucker mouth will. And the shark and rams would be expected to make quick work of your juveniles and the shark might even even discover freshly molted adults are delicious. But I don't find cherry shrimp to be an algae eater in the clean-up sense of the term anyway. Yes, it's what they mostly eat, but they aren't going to make much of an impact on visible algae unless you have scores of them. I'd think a flying fox or Siamese algae eater would be a better choice for your purposes.
Leeatl, Discusluv, Orb and 1 others like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
I'm with @Blue Ridge Reef on this one. Shrimp aren't a good idea.

What are the dimensions of your tank? Volume? Because it sounds like Otos could also be a good choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

60 gallon tank, 4ft wide, 20 inch tall. I've had Ottos before, I wasn't overly impressed with them. I had a huge pleco who did well but his poo out paced his cleaning usually. I thought Amano shrimp might be bigger than the Rams could eat. Or the Cherry shrimp might out breed the ones eaten. A YouTuber recommends Hillstream loaches as well. Just looking for something different I guess. I know my algae will melt away soon enough, my tank is typically very clean and has a CO2 bottle, high lighting and ferts. It is balanced and consistent, I just got lazy for a month or so and algae went crazy on me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Otos tend to do best when they're in a decent group - 6-8+. In a tank your size, you could easily handle a large group. There are a few common varieties available in the hobby, if you, like me, think regular Otos are a bit... generic. But for real - put regular old Otos in a large group and their personalities come out in full force.

Just about any shrimp will get harassed or gobbled up by Rams. Larger Amanos could likely escape the fate of becoming dinner but that's not a guarantee. I've had tiny male Endlers harass Amanos to the point of having to separate them. On the flip, I've had Bettas totally ignore Neocaridina shrimp.

Loaches would be really great if you've got some decent flow for them.

Could you post photos of your tank and the problematic areas of algae? May help with coming up for suggestions.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Planted Member

I have tons of cherry shrimp in a well planted 29 gallon that is filled with a dozen guppies, as well as 2 otos, 2 tetras, and 2 rosy minnows. There are also a bunch of mystery & ramshorn snails. You may not get as many shrimp babies as you would if you didn't fish, but if you're okay with allowing some circle of life situations to happen, I don't see why it would be a problem to add cherries (or any other shrimp -- I have 3 amano in the same tank).

Last week I pulled 6 DOZEN shrimp babies out of my internal filter, along with 5 dozen further from the tank itself (I sold & traded them away). I still have at least 85 (I just counted within a minute, lol).

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you really wanted try cherry shrimp it may work in the long run but you would need a crazy amount as you will loose many to your fish. It takes awhile before they figure out that taking a nice stroll will likely mean death. If you could setup a simple 10g with a Matten filter, add some substrate, cycle it and get some cherry shrimp and get a good colony going of about 200, it may work. But I also agree that they are not very good at removing algae.

However, Amano shrimp get larger and in my experience are okay with Bolivian rams, guppies, tetras, and cories. However, I do not know about the red tail shark but I've kept a red tail shark once and it was very docile and I would personally give it a try. Plus Amano are amazing algae eaters. I would just recommend not to start with a baby Amano shrimp unless they are like 20 for $10 If you want to make sure a Amano shrimp will survive, you can buy some cheap ghost shrimp and see if they survive. If they do, then you should be golden with Amano shrimp.

EHEIM PIMP #322
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

They do not mess with my bamboo shrimp at all....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:50 AM
Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
...growing up in the hardscrabble streets of that aquarium!
Hahaha, this is so true!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode