• 2 Post By Desert Pupfish
  • 1 Post By evil8
  • 1 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Broken Tank; A Sad Tale of Buying Third Party Online

Hey this part rant part just getting everything sorted out.

I've had my eye on a Waterbox Clear 16 for sometime now so when I found one for sale ($30+ off) sold through Petco.com I jumped. It took forever to get here sitting for a week in a UPS warehouse in GA, but finally arriving late this last Tuesday. I rushed out to pick it up off the front steps. As soon as I moved it I could hear glass pieces inside. My heart sunk. I was already in a foul mood because we had our dog scheduled to be put to sleep the next day. I was hoping this would make some slight distraction from that.

Of course once I opened the box one of the ends was mostly in pieces. Not cracked, in pieces! Naturally I called the customer service number for Petco and spoke to someone in some foreign place with a crappy connection. The representative was pleasant, but not very helpful. I asked for a replacement and want was put on hold. She eventually came back and said the item was "Out of Stock" - they could only refund my money via PayPal (I used PayPal to pay for the item). I wasn't too happy as I have a bunch of other items I purchased to go with the aquarium and some driftwood soaking too. I should see something on the refund within 24 to 48 hours ended that conversation.

Next, I went to the Waterbox Aquariums website. I can purchase the Clear 16 from there at regular price, but.... I found the email for support and sent them my story and asked if I could get one at the Petco price. Later the next day I got my reply - They are not out of stock and they would reach out to Petco and send me a new one free of charge. Great! That's awesome.

It's been nearly another 48 hours since and I've not heard anything from Petco nor Waterbox. I don't have a refund or any notification of a new one going out. I know this could take some time, but I thought I'd hear something! If I don't hear anything by Monday I'll have to start calling people again. In the meantime I have a broken tank that now I'm wondering how much I can get a new side for and put back together? Perhaps I could fix it and find a classroom to donate it to provided I actually do get a replacement.
Quesenek and Desert Pupfish like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Hey this part rant part just getting everything sorted out.

I've had my eye on a Waterbox Clear 16 for sometime now so when I found one for sale ($30+ off) sold through Petco.com I jumped. It took forever to get here sitting for a week in a UPS warehouse in GA, but finally arriving late this last Tuesday. I rushed out to pick it up off the front steps. As soon as I moved it I could hear glass pieces inside. My heart sunk. I was already in a foul mood because we had our dog scheduled to be put to sleep the next day. I was hoping this would make some slight distraction from that.

Of course once I opened the box one of the ends was mostly in pieces. Not cracked, in pieces! Naturally I called the customer service number for Petco and spoke to someone in some foreign place with a crappy connection. The representative was pleasant, but not very helpful. I asked for a replacement and want was put on hold. She eventually came back and said the item was "Out of Stock" - they could only refund my money via PayPal (I used PayPal to pay for the item). I wasn't too happy as I have a bunch of other items I purchased to go with the aquarium and some driftwood soaking too. I should see something on the refund within 24 to 48 hours ended that conversation.

Next, I went to the Waterbox Aquariums website. I can purchase the Clear 16 from there at regular price, but.... I found the email for support and sent them my story and asked if I could get one at the Petco price. Later the next day I got my reply - They are not out of stock and they would reach out to Petco and send me a new one free of charge. Great! That's awesome.

It's been nearly another 48 hours since and I've not heard anything from Petco nor Waterbox. I don't have a refund or any notification of a new one going out. I know this could take some time, but I thought I'd hear something! If I don't hear anything by Monday I'll have to start calling people again. In the meantime I have a broken tank that now I'm wondering how much I can get a new side for and put back together? Perhaps I could fix it and find a classroom to donate it to provided I actually do get a replacement.
Sorry to hear about the tank being broken I understand how depressing it is to be all excited about something only to realize the package came broken.
Waterbox seems like a great company to work with though, I will definitely have to give them my business if I'm ever in the market for that type of aquarium.
evil8 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Sorry to hear about the tank being broken I understand how depressing it is to be all excited about something only to realize the package came broken.
Waterbox seems like a great company to work with though, I will definitely have to give them my business if I'm ever in the market for that type of aquarium.
They do seem to make a quality product and now I know they have good customer service. This will be my first rimless tank. It will replace a standard 10 gallon betta tank.
Quesenek likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:04 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
My heart goes out to you on having to put your dog down first and foremost. Hoping Waterbox comes through for you, please keep us updated.
Quesenek, Econde and evil8 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just another bump in the road and on the 1 to 10 scale in life disappointments, it's probably low on the list.
Really sorry about the dog...ours is like a child to us!
Quesenek and evil8 like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words. An update on the aquarium order tale - Hopefully this may help someone else someday: On Saturday afternoon I found a UPS tag on my door saying they were trying to do a pickup. It had to be the broken tank, but neither Petco nor Watebox had communicated anything to me about a return. Actually I never heard anything more from either one. That evening I got an email from Petco Customer Service asking for a picture of the broken tank. I sent it off. Sunday I sent an email to both Petco and Waterbox about the UPS pickup. On Monday afternoon Waterbox sent a reply that really didn't say anything other than I still need to work with Petco. After work I called the Petco support number again. They did not have the image I sent them on Saturday so that rep sent me her personal work email address and stayed on the call until she received the photo. They also didn't have any notes where I wanted a replacement. (Yeah... I know.) So she fixed that too. I documented this and sent it to Waterbox to keep them in the loop.

This morning I got emails from Petco saying the order for the replacement aquarium is set and I can dispose of the broken one. I'm just waiting for the item to be shipped and a tracking number.

Here's the photo of the broken tank -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	892141  

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

Wow - I feel for you.

When ordering something large and fragile, like a canister filter or aquarium, I prefer to have it shipped to the local store, then I tell them I need to open it in their presence (they've heard it before and don't bat an eye).
I can't believe a glass tank is not shipped in multiple layers of packaging.
evil8 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofisho View Post
Likewise. My tank from another manufacturer came in three cardboard boxes plus foam. Super irritating to unpackag
evil8 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Next Update - Just got an email from Waterbox with a tracking number that says the replacement was shipped on the 16th and will arrive on Thursday! WTF!?! That doesn't match up with anything I've been told by anyone else up to this point. LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with 2 aquariums....
Econde likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My condolences to you and your family. If you have time/patience, you can vacuum out the broken glass, scrape off the old broke glass/silicone and go to your local glass store and have them cut one up to the same size/spec.
evil8 likes this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofisho View Post
Petco's aquariums are barely packaged at all--a piece of cardboard around the ends and that's about it. Of course most of what they sell have massive plastic rims--which I guess they expect to take all the abuse and protect the glass.

Hoping they make it right, and you get your tank. Or two!
Blue Ridge Reef and evil8 like this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
If you have time/patience, you can vacuum out the broken glass, scrape off the old broke glass/silicone and go to your local glass store and have them cut one up to the same size/spec.
That is my intention, but I'll most likely put that off until spring! Then I'll try to find a classroom to donate it to.
Econde likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just for those that are unaware why this thread was closed: vendor reviews, regardless of whether they are positive or negative, will be closed.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode