First tank (Help!) - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First tank (Help!)

So I've been a little obsessed over the past few weeks and I've decided to give my first planted tank a try. Here's the list of goods I've come up with so far and my possible tank occupants;

-Nano Bending Aquarium D – 17 Gal. 23.6″ x 12″ x 14.25″ https://sevenports.com/product/nano-...uding-a-b-c-d/
-Rabbitgoo Window Privacy Film Non-Adhesive

-Seachem Flourite Black Clay Gravel 15.4 lbs x2
-Lifegard Aquatics Dragon Rock 10G Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07J4...b_b_asin_title

-Cascade 500 canister filter
-Lily pipe inflow/outflow (not sure what size)
-Marineland PA11484 Canister Filter Ceramic Rings, 140-Count

-Fzone Aquarium CO2 Regulator Triple Stage with DC Solenoid and Bubble Counter
-Tippmann 20z co2 tank
-JARDLI Aquarium CO2 Proof Tubing 16 Feet
-JARDLI Pollen Glass CO2 Diffuser for Aquarium Planted Tank (3/4")
-Glass Co2 Drop Checker

-Seachem Flourish Freshwater Plant
Supplement
-Seachem Prime Fresh and Saltwater Conditioner
-Seachem Flourish Tabs Growth Supplement
-DrTim's Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycle
-API freshwater master test kit

-4 or 5 pairs of 'Scarlet' Endlers Livebearer's
-8 otocinclus
-atleast 10 Neocaridina davidi 'Bloody Mary'
-All available at LFS

Thinking of getting my plants from aquarium coop but I'm most unsure on my plant selection out of everything
-anubias nana 'petite'
-anubias nana
-Cryptocoryne Lucens
-Monte Carlo
-Dwarf Baby Tears
-Micro Sword
-Alternathera reineckii var Roseafolia
-Water Sprite
-Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus
-Bacopa Caroliniana

I'd like a couple more red plants in the mid/background if anyone can make suggestions.
I'm not sure about lighting, I'd like to go with LEDs. Something with a warmer light spectrum to make everything pop. Please help me out guys, any advice or suggestions? I'll post pics of the hardscape when I get a better idea what I want to do. Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Id go with 2x Fluval freshwater nano for light.

The 23.6 length of that tank is unfortunate being as the standard Fluval 3.0 starts at 24. If your handy with fabrication of plastics it would be very simple to build riser/brackets that handles a stock 24 3.0.

PennPlax 500, good choice with proper gph needed. With multi segment spraybar point the center 2 slightly at and down back wall. The outer 2 segments point them slightly up (1-2) so they make that nice desirable surface ripple. Youll have perfect circulation patterns and volume of overturn in that tank with no dead spots. The 2 spray on outside edges will push water around from both outside edges for dual rotating current. The spraybar at backwill pull those currents down behind plants and across substrate bed. Id put input tube for canister dead center in tank, heater right beside it probably.
Shark Bait likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Algae Grower

Hi

Quote:
4 or 5 pairs? with in 3or 4months you could have well over 300 endlers, Females are sexually mature at 8 weeks old and can drop up to 30 fry every 23 days.

Running CO2 wont your PH be a bit low for Endlers? Im more of a fish person than a plant person I will spend anything to cure a sick fish while on the other hand if a plant is not looking its best I think nothing of ripping it out and getting a new one. Everything in my tanks is there for the benefit of my fish.

Last edited by HairyNoseWombat; 01-17-2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Hi

4 or 5 pairs? with in 3or 4months you could have well over 300 endlers, Females are sexually mature at 8 weeks old and can drop up to 30 fry every 23 days..
Is that really too many? I was under the impression they were supposed to be kept in groups. My LFS wont even sell less than 3 pairs.

As far as co2 goes, I wasn't aware that it affected ph so strongly. It will be months before I set this up just doing my research now
HairyNoseWombat likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
I’d go with 2x Fluval freshwater nano for light.

The 23.6 length of that tank is unfortunate being as the standard Fluval 3.0 starts at 24”
I haven't ordered the tank yet so I'm open to other options. I'll definitely check out the fluval lights tho. I've heard good things so far
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Is that really too many? I was under the impression they were supposed to be kept in groups. My LFS wont even sell less than 3 pairs.
Hi

A pair constitutes a male and female, the normal way to keep live bearers is an all male tank or 2 to 3 females per male.
evil8 likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
So I've been a little obsessed over the past few weeks and I've decided to give my first planted tank a try. Here's the list of goods I've come up with so far and my possible tank occupants;

-Nano Bending Aquarium D – 17 Gal. 23.6″ x 12″ x 14.25″ https://sevenports.com/product/nano-...uding-a-b-c-d/
-Rabbitgoo Window Privacy Film Non-Adhesive

-Seachem Flourite Black Clay Gravel 15.4 lbs x2
-Lifegard Aquatics Dragon Rock 10G Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07J4...b_b_asin_title

-Cascade 500 canister filter
-Lily pipe inflow/outflow (not sure what size)
-Marineland PA11484 Canister Filter Ceramic Rings, 140-Count

-Fzone Aquarium CO2 Regulator Triple Stage with DC Solenoid and Bubble Counter
-Tippmann 20z co2 tank
-JARDLI Aquarium CO2 Proof Tubing 16 Feet
-JARDLI Pollen Glass CO2 Diffuser for Aquarium Planted Tank (3/4")
-Glass Co2 Drop Checker

-Seachem Flourish Freshwater Plant
Supplement
-Seachem Prime Fresh and Saltwater Conditioner
-Seachem Flourish Tabs Growth Supplement
-DrTim's Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycle
-API freshwater master test kit

-8 otocinclus
-atleast 10 Neocaridina davidi 'Bloody Mary'
-All available at LFS

Thinking of getting my plants from aquarium coop but I'm most unsure on my plant selection out of everything
-anubias nana 'petite'
-anubias nana
-Cryptocoryne Lucens
-Monte Carlo
-Dwarf Baby Tears
-Micro Sword
-Alternathera reineckii var Roseafolia
-Water Sprite
-Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus
-Bacopa Caroliniana

I'd like a couple more red plants in the mid/background if anyone can make suggestions.
I'm not sure about lighting, I'd like to go with LEDs. Something with a warmer light spectrum to make everything pop. Please help me out guys, any advice or suggestions? I'll post pics of the hardscape when I get a better idea what I want to do. Thanks
What about adding some ludwigia palustris "super red", also known simply as ludwigia 'super red' to add some red color to the background.
Another thing I see is that as you haven't bought these things/set them up, I would look into dry dosing or mixing the dry ferts into a solution for dosing instead of the seachem line.
You can acquire them here Nilocg and you can use this calculator to determine how much is needed to dose rotala butterfly.

For EI dosage you'll want the macro's which are KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4 (K2SO4 might be ok to skip as the other two add a lot of K as it is). For the micro's you'll want CSM+B.
Just an idea if you want to save money in the long run, as buying the seachem line can add up to be costly.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Hi

A pair constitutes a male and female, the normal way to keep live bearers is an all male tank or 2 to 3 females per male.
Thanks for all the advice. I realize a pair is a male and female but that's how my LFS specifies they're sold and in no less than 3 pairs so I'll have to look into other sources. Any good alternatives that prefer the lower ph caused by the co2? I want to make sure the fish are healthy too
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

Hi

I do not know anything about CO2 other than people who use it are forever messing with their water and most strive to lower things like ph
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post

What about adding some ludwigia palustris "super red", also known simply as ludwigia 'super red' to add some red color to the background.
Another thing I see is that as you haven't bought these things/set them up, I would look into dry dosing or mixing the dry ferts into a solution for dosing instead of the seachem line.
Thanks alot. That strain of ludwigia is beautiful, I'll add it to my list. As far as using dry ferts should I add anything to the substrate or just stick with the root tabs?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyNoseWombat View Post
Hi

I do not know anything about CO2 other than people who use it are forever messing with their water and most strive to lower things like ph
So are you saying co2 injection raises or lowers ph? I'm confused, you said co2 would make my ph a bit low for Endlers
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As far as lights go I'm leaning towards a finnex planted+ 24/7 but I wouldn't run the 24/7 cycle. The brackets that mount the light to the tank slide in past the edge of the light so a 24" would work with my tank choice. Anyone used this light?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks alot. That strain of ludwigia is beautiful, I'll add it to my list. As far as using dry ferts should I add anything to the substrate or just stick with the root tabs?
You can still use the seachem root tabs while dosing dry ferts.
I really like ludwigia because unlike rotala and ammannia, they aren't as picky about the tank and adapt to a lot of setups.
For rotala and ammannia you have quite a bit of red plants to choose from, however they don't like rich fert levels in the water column so it takes some fine tuning to see if you can make them happy while keeping everything else satisfied.
Shark Bait likes this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
You can still use the seachem root tabs while dosing dry ferts.

I really like ludwigia because unlike rotala and ammannia, they aren't as picky about the tank and adapt to a lot of setups.
Thanks for the tip, I know I might be getting in a little over my head so I'll avoid rotala and ammannias then. I should clarify though, I was wondering if there are dry fertilizers I should add to the substrate as I'm setting it up or just add root tabs?

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I know I might be getting in a little over my head so I'll avoid rotala and ammannias then. I should clarify though, I was wondering if there are dry fertilizers I should add to the substrate as I'm setting it up or just add root tabs?

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk
Just the root tabs, there are some additives that high end aquascapers use in their substrate shown here ada substrate additives, however in this instance I don't think they are needed or necessary.
Rotala are really nice plants and some of them do just fine in rich tanks, however it's hit and miss depending on all of the water chemistry so there's nothing wrong with waiting on them until you get the basics down, or simply trying them out and seeing how they do in your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode