• 2 Post By Thelongsnail
  • 4 Post By lksdrinker
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister crud dump after cleaning

I have a Sunsun 304 canister running on my 40b since its setup in February 2018.

I have noticed after cleaning it that when I get everything put back together it dumps a bunch of gunk back into the tank. I actually have to clean up the intakes after a day or two as they get catch all the floating 'stuff'.

I usually clean the canister at the same time as I do a WC so the intake pipe, return pipes, canister and baskets, impeller and impeller magnet hole thing all get cleaned. I also do my best to get my brush into the intake and exhaust pipe holes on the canister top to clean those up as well. The only thing I don't clean is are the tubing themselves.

Do I need to start including the tubing in my cleaning regime? Any suggestions? Take them outside and hit them with a hose? Bleach them?

Thanks!

40 breeder tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 gallon long (retired):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 gallon high (retired):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Do I need to start including the tubing in my cleaning regime? Any suggestions?
Hi

Yes, spend 5 dollars on one of these to clean hoses and tubes.

Thelongsnail, stevewb and JJJessee like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Definitely recommend a pipecleaner like the one above, they make cleaning tubes super fast and convenient.

Are you cleaning the filter after you've finished removing the water for the water change? If I'm cleaning a filter, I usually remove a gallon or so of water first, clean the filter pieces in said water, put it all back together & turn on, and then continue siphoning out the water, including any crud that's just been flung out.

I hope this makes sense!
AbbeysDad and JJJessee like this.

Journal

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I run a sump on one of my tanks. Whenever I turn the pump off for maintenance I get a cloud of detritus that shoots out when I turn it back on. I've learned to hold a net in front of the outtake whenever I start it back up just to catch all that so it doesnt put it right back into the display tank!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just slap the tubing against the sink and then run water through it and that usually clears all the gunk (or most of it) but as annoying as it is having all that gunk float back into your newly cleaned tank it likely isn't doing any damage. So since cleaning filter tubing is a pain I do it as infrequently as possible.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You should see the crud that comes out of my Fluval if I don't clean the hoses before I turn it back on. Those ribbed hoses really hold on to some gunk.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll be picking up a long pipe brush to take care of those gunked up tubing!

I hope it will be a semi annual thing and nothing more frequent.

40 breeder tank:

20 gallon long (retired):

20 gallon high (retired):

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
but as annoying as it is having all that gunk float back into your newly cleaned tank it likely isn't doing any damage.
My cherry shrimp eat the stuff so to me its free shrimp food.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

I brush clean my tubing a couple times a year.

I've been dealing with bba lately and last time I cleaned the tubing there appeared to be bba inside along with the general crud.

That's another reasong to clean the tubing.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:47 PM
Algae Grower

I've never cleaned any of my hoses 8 years. Too much BB in there to throw away.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Clean it or not depends on attitude!
If you have even moderately hard water, minerals will collect on things and that includes the inside of tubing. So when you move the tubing while cleaning, you break the minerals loose and they do come out in the tank. So how to react? Depends on how you feel about the minerals. Some don't want to see them laying on things in the tank and want to collect it. Others have learned to be a bit more tolerant of nature and simply let it dissolve and go away.
If it is just minerals, I go for the low stress of ignoring it! In my experience, nature is rarely a pristine thing and I have learned to not expect it in my tanks as I do work to make them as natural as possible. If you want an unnatural pristine setup which would never occur in nature, you do the extra work but if you like natural, you go a bit easier on cleaning. Personal choice with no right or wrong, just do it as you feel needed.
One way to cut the mess to see is to let it come out of the outlet in a place which is out of sight behind things.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode