• 1 Post By mboley
  • 1 Post By Siawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 Question

Hi Everyone,

I have my tank that is currently running CO2 on a PH controller (24/24h) to keep the PH steady at around 6.9. Standard PH is 7.6 (without CO2 injection) and dKH is really low at 1.68 based on the NUTRAFIN test (3 drops). dKH from tap is 4 drops so very low also.

Here are the questions:

1- Should I run the PH controller while lights are out or should I just close it with a timer?
2- I want to put my dKH higher around 4-5. I will use Carbonate from Aquavitro for this. When I do water change (20-30% per week even though readins are sill below 10ppm Nitrates), as the tap water has very low dKH, the dKH will lower right? if so, bringing it back up with each water change will not harm the fishes? I read that larger variations in KH are not good for fishes.

Current fauna includes 2 Angelfishes, 1 Golden Gourami, 11 Cardinals, 9 Cory Leucolemas, 8 Cory Orange Venezuelan, 1 Bolivian Ram, a few Amanos and Nerites/Spixi snails. Everything in a 56g Tank.

Thanks all for your input.
Jonathan

Jonathan
56g Freshwater Community Tank
12g Fluval Edge Shrimp and Betta Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

Once you read more through this site you will realize that your dKh is fine where it is, your Nitrate should be a little higher, and you dont need to run your CO2 24 hrs a day. I was new a little while ago and asked the same questions.

Most important is your CO2. You want a 1 to 1.2 drop from your degassed Ph of 7.6, so you're not there yet. Turn on your Co2 one or two hours before lights on and turn off an hour before lights off. Ideally your Co2 hits 6.4 to 6.6 when the lights turn on. Turn up your bubble rate if necessary to achieve this.

If your controller has the capability you can set your ph to bounce between 6.4 and 6.45 all day and your plants will have all the C02 they need.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
Once you read more through this site you will realize that your dKh is fine where it is, your Nitrate should be a little higher, and you dont need to run your CO2 24 hrs a day. I was new a little while ago and asked the same questions.

Most important is your CO2. You want a 1 to 1.2 drop from your degassed Ph of 7.6, so you're not there yet. Turn on your Co2 one or two hours before lights on and turn off an hour before lights off. Ideally your Co2 hits 6.4 to 6.6 when the lights turn on. Turn up your bubble rate if necessary to achieve this.

If your controller has the capability you can set your ph to bounce between 6.4 and 6.45 all day and your plants will have all the C02 they need.
Thanks for the quick answer. What I read, and maybe this was wrong, is that the higher the dKH is (between 4 and 8), the better absorption the plants have of the nutrients. Nitrates are a little bit low but if I dose more Thrive, then algae blooms... and I have tons of fast growing plants like rotala, Nymphoide Taiwan and Ceratopteris Thalictroides. Rest is Java fern, Buce, aponogeton ulcevareus, red tiger lotus, some java moss and cryptocoryne. about 75% of the tank is planted. I could maybe try the Thrive Shrimp instead. Also have some BBA on my driftwood but it is slowly disappearing with the regiment I currently have. Dosing Thrive everyday approx 1ml (automatic dosing machine)

Light is Fluval Planted 3.0 at approx 60% power. Tank is 36*18*20 (20 depth) inches with approx 2 inches of eco-complete

Jonathan
56g Freshwater Community Tank
12g Fluval Edge Shrimp and Betta Tank

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

I would turn up your CO2 as I mentioned, this will likely help your algae issues and allow you to dose more.

I have run 4dKh but I'm in the process of slowly reducing it to 2dKh. Keep reading; from what I've read you dont need to mess with your water if you're close to 2.

Your should read advancedplantedtank.com. Lots of good info there.
Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
I would turn up your CO2 as I mentioned, this will likely help your algae issues and allow you to dose more.

I have run 4dKh but I'm in the process of slowly reducing it to 2dKh. Keep reading; from what I've read you dont need to mess with your water if you're close to 2.

Your should read advancedplantedtank.com. Lots of good info there.
ok just got my bottle filled yesterday. Will keep the KH at the current level and adjust CO2 accordingly. PH yesterday was at 7.74 so I have adjusted the PH controller to 6.7 and put it on a timer from 1hr before sunrise to 1hr before dark (total 8hrs). Will go from there.

Thanks for your help
Jonathan
Quagulator likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode