A million Dollars to the one who can figure this out. - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A million Dollars to the one who can figure this out.

So I set up my NEW 33 gallon long tank around 2 weeks ago. A week ago I took 4 Amano Shrimp from my mature tank and put it in the 33 gallon to test the water and make sure the cycle was good enough for fish. The ONLY plants I added were all purchased for this tank were Tropica 1-2 Grow cups as they are pest and algae free. Today I look in my tank after a water change and to my surprise/horror I see THOUSANDS of these little things that look like super small tadpoles jittering all around the water. I thought Amano shrimp needed brackish water to hatch/survive? Are these even amano shrimp? and if they are and dont survive, will it create a ton of ammonia due to dead livestock? Theres currently ZERO fish in there and Im thinking about putting some in just to eat whatever this is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtfisthis.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	891149  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your image is such that I can't really see anything. Regardless, if your amano were berried, its almost certainly amano larva. They won't live very long without brackish water. In the wild they are born in fresh but find their way downstream to brackish water for their larva stage.

Anyway once they die they still will produce less ammonia then your new aquasoil (regardless if its capped or not) So remember to keep doing water changes. A new aquasoil tank needs 50% water change every day for the first week, every other for the second, 3 times in week 3 and twice in week 4.

Good luck

P.S. I will take my money in LFS gift cards. It's just going to go to them anyway.
Blue Ridge Reef and KayakJimW like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 02:52 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
The image doesn't help me either and I like @minorhero's answer but just in case, I'll go with copepods that hitchhiked in on your plants for my chance at a million.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 07:12 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
The image doesn't help me either and I like @minorhero's answer but just in case, I'll go with copepods that hitchhiked in on your plants for my chance at a million.
Based on the smallish image, I'd say copepods are the likely culprit too (though they'd likely be on the glass, and not jittering in the water)
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode