Angelfish Tank Mate Suggestions Appreciated - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Angelfish Tank Mate Suggestions Appreciated

Hi all,

I am new here and would like some opinions or suggestions for my established tank that currently houses a single Angelfish and 2 panda corys. My tank is a 40 gal bow and has been established for about a year. The Angel has been in the tank since it was set up and has grown from about 1/2 dollar size to around 6-7" currently. It is a beautiful black marble veil and has been the only fish in the aquarium for about a month now (other than the corys). Its last co-inhabitant was a similar size angel . There were a total of 4 angels at one point in this tank. The remaining angel seems to be mild tempered and is thriving. My water perimeters are very stable.

I am wondering what would be a good tank mate(s) for this beautiful fish? I do not want to overcrowd nor have its beautiful fins ripped to shreds. I would love to see more in the tank , I don't want to test fate with another large angel that could possibly be aggressive. Should I leave it as the only fish?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Most bottom dwelling fish like your corys will be fine. That said, your veil angelfish will be difficult to house with certainty with most other fish. It could be fine, or it could be a problem and you won't know till you try. Guppies and Mollies are not atypical tank mates but your angel might be the aggressor against those or you could end up with some fin damage. /shrug will be up to you if you want to give it a go.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Most bottom dwelling fish like your corys will be fine. That said, your veil angelfish will be difficult to house with certainty with most other fish. It could be fine, or it could be a problem and you won't know till you try. Guppies and Mollies are not atypical tank mates but your angel might be the aggressor against those or you could end up with some fin damage. /shrug will be up to you if you want to give it a go.
This.
But, most depends on the actually fish and its demeanor. I've had some that did not care in the least about other fish, and other that hounded fish until they died. This is a give it a go thing. Just go onto it with the knowledge that something could go awry depending on the size of fish you chose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've ended up keeping my single angelfish with a group of 9 black skirt tetras. I haven't seen any fin-nipping but then my angel has standard fins. The trick is to get enough tetras in there that they are busy bothering each other and leave the angelfish alone. Blacks skirts seem to be more mild in temperament than say, the serpae tetras. I used to have some of those and they were mean! I've seen people have tanks with angelfish and ram cichlids, I always thought that looked like a nice combination but haven't tried it myself.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I kept my single angel with cories and a school of rummy nose tetras - no issues among any of them.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would try a species of tetra that's robust and/or fast. Rummy noses are awesome, or a school of emperor tetras. I'd avoid species that could be prone to fin nipping.

|
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

My one angelfish is in my 125g with diamond tetra . Not really a fan of big tetra due to there eating aggression but diamonds are amazing in a 6ft tank . I am not a fan of keeping big fish in small tanks due to the lack of swimming space, just not a fun visual IMO . Anything small that you put in that tank isn't going to have much room away from the angel.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd second @minorhero's suggestion of guppies or mollies, or other peaceful livebearers. Not only are they not likely to bother each other, but the livebearers' fry will supply a nice source of live food for your angel. I shoot for 3 or more females to one male to provide a steady supply (and in this era of #metoo ensure the females aren't continually harassed)

If your angel is mild-tempered, cardinal tetras should be just big enough not to be eaten, and as others have said in a large enough school shouldn't display any fin nipping. A heavily planted tank will give them plenty of places to hide if needed, and angels love tell reedy plants like vals or something similar to weave through.

As in any community tank, you'll just have to do your research on the best tankmates, then give it a go & see what happens. Even if the angel's fins do end up getting nipped, they'll grow back soon enough after you remove the offender/s. I had a pea puffer that overnight went from nice to nasty--chomping on the fins of all 11 of my angels, and even some of the male guppies. Once I rehomed the puffer, their fins all grew back and it was a peaceable kingdom once again....

Keep us posted on how it turns out, and share a photo of your angel!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Angels, like most cichlids, very in behavior.
You will have one person say they have had neons with their group for years without predation and another say that the Angel ate/harassed them within moments of being put into tank.
My Angels and discus ( and my 6-8 inch geophagus-- have you seen a geophagus mouth open wide? Could fit a 4 inch tetra in there) ignore smaller fish. Ive had the same group of rummy-nose and green neon's with my discus for several years. They co-habit peacefully.

What temperature do you have your tank set at? Most Angels are kept at around 78-84 (84 being wild Altums, not scalare). I think that is a bit high for live-bearers long-term.

I would try a group of Rummy-nose, green neons, or Lemon tetras-- all these can take higher temps required of Angels.
You could also confirm the sex of your Angel and get a male or female to get a pair. In that case, I would only add bottom fish ( or none at all).
varanidguy and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Angels, like most cichlids, very in behavior.
You will have one person say they have had neons with their group for years without predation and another say that the Angel ate/harassed them within moments of being put into tank.
My Angels and discus ( and my 6-8 inch geophagus-- have you seen a geophagus mouth open wide? Could fit a 4 inch tetra in there) ignore smaller fish. Ive had the same group of rummy-nose and green neon's with my discus for several years. They co-habit peacefully.

What temperature do you have your tank set at? Most Angels are kept at around 78-84 (84 being wild Altums, not scalare). I think that is a bit high for live-bearers long-term.

I would try a group of Rummy-nose, green neons, or Lemon tetras-- all these can take higher temps required of Angels.
You could also confirm the sex of your Angel and get a male or female to get a pair. In that case, I would only add bottom fish ( or none at all).
Would emperor tetras not be good at 78-80 degrees? I think a group of emperors with an angel would look stunning, but if the emperors wouldn't be happy...

|
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Would emperor tetras not be good at 78-80 degrees? I think a group of emperors with an angel would look stunning, but if the emperors wouldn't be happy...
At 78-80 degrees, this is at the top of Emperors temp range.[ Highest temps experienced temporarily in a given year.] I think in this situation I would go down to 77 degrees and see how the Angel does. The problem at this lower temperature for Angels ( scalare) is metabolism and growth. Especially in juveniles.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my 60g planted tank I have 4 Angels, 2 Corys, 6 Neon Tetras, and 6 Swordtails. They all more or less get along. Now the Angels will 'spar' with each other and the male Swordtail's will do the same with each other - everybody wants to be BOSS. But no one is harmed in these challenges. The Angels don't bother the Neons and except for newborn fry that zip swim, there are Swordtail fry in there that swim right by the Angels as if they were much bigger than the tasty, delicious morsels that they are!

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
According to SeriouslyFish, the recommended range for angels is 76-86, and the upper limit for guppies is 82.4. So 78-80 should be a sweet spot for both, no? And as you say, if you need higher temps for juvenile angels, you could keep the guppies at 82 for awhile. It might speed their growth & metabolism but possibly shorten their life spans somewhat. But guppies breed so quickly it's not an issue unless you're really attached to a particular guppy.
Discusluv likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The Altums were at 84 when juveniles, now they are at 80-81 degrees as sub-adults/adults. If I were to breed them I would again increase temps.

I didn't realize that Guppies could go up that high? -- Well, then that would be fine-- at 78- 80. Which really is the sweet-spot for scalare, not too low to keep up metabolism and growth, and not too high to do the opposite.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your helpful input and tank mate suggestions! I have not made any decisions or additions just yet, I am taking my time and trying to be as informed as I possibly can before I add anyone in. My 40 gallon runs at 80 degrees for those who asked. I really like the emperor tetra idea, they are quite attractive (thanks for the suggestion!).

I haven't tried my hand at a "planted tank" just yet (please don't crucify me) but I do have very tasteful large reedy grass artificial plants in the tank that the angel loves to swim through (they are at least 16/18" tall).

I will post a picture of my beautiful angel soon!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
angel fish, tankmates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode