Co2 Noob need help, PH plummeted will this kill my cycling efforts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 Noob need help, PH plummeted will this kill my cycling efforts?

I Just added co2 to my first ever planted tank. the PH was 6.5 or so, and now after about 8 hours is at the bottom of the scale 6.0 or lower. Will this killl all the bacteria? help! Should I add baking soda? I bought malawi/victoria buffer from sachem but it has not arrived yet, and won't until sunday I believe.

My ammonia was finally below .25, nitrites were still around .25-.5 but nitrates were 40 PPM before I did a water change so I thought i was at the end of the cycle.
Should I add baking soda in the mean time to save my tank? I'm planted with asian ambulia, the red "alichee" ish sounding plant whose proper name I forget, and floating salvinia. They may not appreciate the super low PH either
please help me make the decision wether or not to use the baking soda for nowThanks
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Algae Grower

pH drop from 6.5 to 6 is normal when you do CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
pH drop from 6.5 to 6 is normal when you do CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I know its normal, the question is should I do anything about it. Need the tank to keep it's bio filter, and now I have one danio in there I don't want the nitrites(which are very low but super acidic makes them much more toxic to hurt him) Thank you.

I got the malawi buffer salts in the mail today and could use some of them. I feel like my ideal PH for plant and pea puffer is more like 7 anyway

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Banned

your fish and bio filter should be fine. Fish and bacteria generally have a much better PH tolerance than many believe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 02:44 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
No need to add baking soda. The pH drop associated with CO2 injection is normal and to be expected.

Your nitrates might be a bit high, so just do a water change and let the cycle finish.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

It may be a good idea to consider raising the alkalinity in your aquarium water. Like other have mentioned, there will be a ph shift with CO2 injection, but you don't want to bottom out your ph into the 5's just because a pH shift exists; if you increase your pH when the CO2 injection is off, then the lowest value you dip to will be higher (i.e. 6.6 pH instead of 5.6).

If you are interested in this, you could slowly increase the KH of your water change water and over several weeks manipulate the chemistry in your aquarium. All that matters here is if you are comfortable with bottom level of your pH.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
You don't need to add baking soda or increase kH. That could cause more harm than good.

CO2 does not impact osmotic pressure, so there's not a need to worry.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode