75 vs 90 vs 120 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 vs 90 vs 120

So my Steatocranus casuarius had babies in my African tetra holding tank. Unusual in the fact that I have had them for 3 years and this is the first time they have bred. But it really made me realize that the 40 breeder I have my African fish in is way too small and I have been dragging my feet too long on upgrading. I had considered just getting a 65 because I already have a 40 breeder stand it would fit on but a 3 foot tank that is only 15 gallons more than what they are in isn't really much of an upgrade.

Decided to spring on at least a 75 (4' x 18" footprint) but then realized a 90 which is the same foot print but taller might be more of an upgrade if the price isn't much different and then considered that a 120 which is 4' x 2' might be even better. Got a price on the 120 and I can probably swing it but still waiting on the prices of the smaller tanks to see how they compare. I already have most of the rest of the equipment (filters, lights, sand, etc.) which is what is leading me to make the jump.

Just wondering if anyone has experiences with these any of these tank sizes and what do you think of them and how they compare to each other. Any pictures you have of any of these tanks (planted or not) would be appreciated.

Poor quality video of the new parents with their babies for your enjoyment.

Oh and in celebration of this upgrade to a larger tank I took advantage of The Wet Spot's Cyber Monday sale and ordered 10 very expensive Alestopetersius brichardi and already set up a quarantine tank for them. They are arriving tomorrow so I really can't back out now and need a bigger tank!

deeda, ChrisX and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am upgrading to a 120 sometime in the next year. I decided on the 120 because I will be drilling the tank and using a sump. Because I am using a sump I will need to give up the top few inches of my tank and run the water level lower then my emergency drain. Thus the extra few inches of a 120 is pretty important to me vs say a 75. If I were using a canister filter I might go with something like a 75 to save on lights etc.

The general rule of course being that go as big as you possibly can. The main impediment being cost. The bigger you go the more all the equipment costs. You haven't mentioned your filtration option but if you really have all you need just lying around then the 120 seems a no brainer to me. /shrug
Ken Keating1 likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I much prefer tanks that are 24" deep. Much more 'scaping options with the extra 6 inches.

Why don't you lay out the different footprints in masking tape on the floor, and see the difference? A 48" x 18" has 864 square inches while a 48" x 24" has 1,152.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My order came from The Wet Spot as well as two plant orders from Buce and Planted Aquariums Central. I guess I probably should go for the 120 gallon tank. That extra 30 gallons over the 90 will help me be able to keep several schools of African tetras and the extra floor space should help the cichlids define their own territories separate from each other.

Here is my order of 10 Alestopetersius brichardi. Each $35 fish in its own little baggie.

New Order of Fish by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
So my Steatocranus casuarius had babies in my African tetra holding tank. Unusual in the fact that I have had them for 3 years and this is the first time they have bred. But it really made me realize that the 40 breeder I have my African fish in is way too small and I have been dragging my feet too long on upgrading. I had considered just getting a 65 because I already have a 40 breeder stand it would fit on but a 3 foot tank that is only 15 gallons more than what they are in isn't really much of an upgrade.

Decided to spring on at least a 75 (4' x 18" footprint) but then realized a 90 which is the same foot print but taller might be more of an upgrade if the price isn't much different and then considered that a 120 which is 4' x 2' might be even better. Got a price on the 120 and I can probably swing it but still waiting on the prices of the smaller tanks to see how they compare. I already have most of the rest of the equipment (filters, lights, sand, etc.) which is what is leading me to make the jump.

Just wondering if anyone has experiences with these any of these tank sizes and what do you think of them and how they compare to each other. Any pictures you have of any of these tanks (planted or not) would be appreciated.

Oh and in celebration of this upgrade to a larger tank I took advantage of The Wet Spot's Cyber Monday sale and ordered 10 very expensive Alestopetersius brichardi and already set up a quarantine tank for them. They are arriving tomorrow so I really can't back out now and need a bigger tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7NiC1Of9M
Excellent, congratulations!- the alestopetersius brichardi are absolutely gorgeous. Mine are not "red" as were advertised when I bought them, but I am not in the least disappointed in them. They have a golden glow to them that is truly spectacular.

Personally would get the 120-- the more room the better.

Bump:
Quote:
My order came from The Wet Spot as well as two plant orders from Buce and Planted Aquariums Central. I guess I probably should go for the 120 gallon tank. That extra 30 gallons over the 90 will help me be able to keep several schools of African tetras and the extra floor space should help the cichlids define their own territories separate from each other.

Here is my order of 10 Alestopetersius brichardi. Each $35 fish in its own little baggie.

New Order of Fish by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Yep-- they better be in their own bag for that price.
But, really, have you ever had a vendor pack with such care as Wetspot. The only vendors that due are those reputable discus breeders I buy from.

It is really what sets them apart form other vendors-- impeccable shipping. Well, yes, at a premium. But, I am willing to pay for that when buying fish like these.
ererer likes this.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I buy a lot of terrestrial plants for my garden so I have actually seen packing at a level that rivals even this. But The Wet Spot does a great job. I would probably not be in the hobby if it wasn't for them and their amazing selection.

Called again to ask about the prices of the smaller tanks but he was unboxing a fish order so said he would get back to me. I will probably go ahead with the larger tank though. What the heck. You only live once.

Bump: Also I was kind of unsure about the A. brichardi. I really wanted the Fatastique but they sold out of them. I've seen such different looking A. brichardi on my video and image searches for them. I wasn't sure what I would get. But he said they were looking very red (probably all males) so I went for it. We'll see how it turns out. Right now obviously they are unhappy from being shipped a thousand miles and plunked into a bare bottom quarantine tank.
Discusluv likes this.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
75g is the go to in my opinion and is awesome. The 90g can be difficult to light due to the depth for some people. I see no reason not to spring for the 90g if the price is the same just because the water volume is nice. The downside to the 120 is the 24" width is challenging to light with a single light, so you basically need 2 most of the time. That or a high power light that is raised. I think the 120g is weird looking as a 4 foot tank. The 125 is 6 foot long and matches the other dimensions of the 75g. I really like the length of the tank for viewing. It seems a lot bigger than the 120g due to the 50% extra length.

I'd go as big as you can with the footprint you have available, always. If it is swinging finances, the 90g is great IMO.
ChrisX likes this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I buy a lot of terrestrial plants for my garden so I have actually seen packing at a level that rivals even this. But The Wet Spot does a great job. I would probably not be in the hobby if it wasn't for them and their amazing selection.

Called again to ask about the prices of the smaller tanks but he was unboxing a fish order so said he would get back to me. I will probably go ahead with the larger tank though. What the heck. You only live once.

Bump: Also I was kind of unsure about the A. brichardi. I really wanted the Fatastique but they sold out of them. I've seen such different looking A. brichardi on my video and image searches for them. I wasn't sure what I would get. But he said they were looking very red (probably all males) so I went for it. We'll see how it turns out. Right now obviously they are unhappy from being shipped a thousand miles and plunked into a bare bottom quarantine tank.
This is a good representation of the brichardi I have on the left. They are a very beautiful golden color that not even this photo truly captures. There is not a bit of red on them. Well, maybe a touch on the finnage.

Alot of these African characins are not properly identified because they are so rare to the states. I know for sure that this is an alestopetersius brichardi because of its morpoholgy. Especially due to the fishes shape and medial caudal fin extension. Variety- who knows? I doubt Westpot is even sure-- they told me these were "red"- they are most certainly not.

Triport likes this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just saw a Facebook group with an amazing video of some really red ones (or deep orange whatever) but often they are pale or bluish/silverish. Maybe they just color up intensely when breeding? In that case it may be a problem I have no females but they already are looking decent.

Also wanted to get some more Bathyaethiops breuseghemi (red cap moon tetras) to bolster the 3 I already have but Drayden emailed to warn me they were looking a bit questionable so I'll hold off. In the end I would like to get some more Alestes tetras and regular Congos too but I'll have to see how the existing fish I have look in whatever tank I end up with before I decide how many more I want to add.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7NiC1Of9M

Take a look at the Visio line of glass tanks made by Advanced Aqua Tanks. They are out of Los Angles so most California based aquarium shops should be able to order them no problem. They make a 80R which is 48.5x 18.5x 23.375 its a couple inches taller than the 75. Plus the rim design of the Visio is made of stronger better plastic and its profile is much slimmer. They can be ordered with low iron glass as well. I have 1 of their 60E's and I also have a Aqueon 55 the Visio is just a better tank.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah the 100 Gallon I ordered from this LFS is Visio and the 120 is going to be as well. I went with the black background (so I don't have to paint it myself) but not the low iron because I have to be at least somewhat responsible financially (lol).

So yeah I called them and said I would be in tomorrow to put down a deposit.

So now I will have a 120, 100, 46 bowfront and 45 in my fishroom with a stand still for a future 65 and 2 40 breeders as quarantine tanks.

My fish room is coming along nicely with still lots of room for more tanks.
deeda, Discusluv and Squisher like this.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yeah the 100 Gallon I ordered from this LFS is Visio and the 120 is going to be as well. I went with the black background (so I don't have to paint it myself) but not the low iron because I have to be at least somewhat responsible financially (lol).

So yeah I called them and said I would be in tomorrow to put down a deposit.

So now I will have a 120, 100, 46 bowfront and 45 in my fishroom with a stand still for a future 65 and 2 40 breeders as quarantine tanks.

My fish room is coming along nicely with still lots of room for more tanks.
Really excited seeing this tank come together. Will you try to do a Congo River "Biotopish" set-up. Of course this is difficult to do with all African fish and plants, but I think one can come very close.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Honestly I think biotypes are neat in a public aquarium or for someone who is really into them but I just want pretty planted tanks. So definitely not. I mean it will have Anubias, Bolbitis, and Aponogetons from Madagascar but by no means will I be hard core about it. None of my tanks are especially accurate when it comes to the mix of plants and continent even though in most of my tanks the fish I use do have a theme.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are some of the plants and A. petersius in quarantine.

New aquatic plants and Alestopetersius brichardi in quarantine by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
Discusluv likes this.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They are gorgeous. Wow!
Triport likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode