How can I make a UPS for my USB DC air pump? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How can I make a UPS for my USB DC air pump?

How can I make a UPS for my USB DC air pump?

I found these USB DC Air pumps on Ebay and they are relatively powerful, take only 1 watt of power and can run on a USB power battery pack for a very long. I had it running for 49 hours straight before I can out of power of my Lipo battrey pack. Since its DC, it does not require an inverver.

I was wondering does anyone know about electronics and know of a device that can monitor the power from the wall and activate the switch/circuit/pump/battery pack as soon as there is a power loss like a standard UPS does?

Probably question you might have:

1. Question: "Why not use a standard UPS"
Answer. The inverter of a standard UPS will kill the battery faster then the draw from the pump. It buzz like crazy and only seem to last a few hours when my poweroutages are longer then a few hours and I am traveling a lot and unable to add another airpump.

2. Question 2. Why not use one of those battery powered airpumps from Amazon, it already does what you are looking for.
Answer: I have tried those and while they might work in a pinch, the airpump is anemic, super low power and weak. It has like 1/10th the power of the USB DC 1W pumps I recently found on ebay which I think may be a new technology or invention.

https://www.amazon.com/Wodwad-Aquari.../dp/B07D8KY1W3

Those USB pumps I can run using a phone charger adapter on my dewalt battery for over 30 hours, on my small solar charger battery pack for over 49 hours, and seem to be a ton better performance than those standard boxed battery powered air pumps

Any suggestions on how such a thing could be accomplished or if even possible ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You cacan try and find a DC auto transfer switch. They use them for solar panel installs and similar stuff. Super expensive for what you are doing, but the only option I know of. It would also require a battery pack for backup. Several series lipos. A UPS really is your best bet. If it is 1W of DC, that's like .1W AC and a decent UPS should last several hours with such a small load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Usually USB battery banks have a port for charging and a port for the device it’s charging. Connect the charging port to an USB power adapter that’s plugged into a timer that’s plugged into a receptacle outlet. The timer is used to charge the USB battery bank a limited amount of time per day and to prevent the battery bank from being charged continuously. Connect the USB battery bank output port to the air pump and you’re good to go. Select a large enough USB battery bank to provide power ride through for the longest outage plus say 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ken Keating1; 11-21-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
You cacan try and find a DC auto transfer switch. They use them for solar panel installs and similar stuff. Super expensive for what you are doing, but the only option I know of. It would also require a battery pack for backup. Several series lipos. A UPS really is your best bet. If it is 1W of DC, that's like .1W AC and a decent UPS should last several hours with such a small load.

I did a comparison test of all my air pumps using a kill-a-watt type of a device and found that

10 gallon rated air pump used 1.5 W
20 gallon rated air pump used 2.5 W
USB air pump used 1.5W

I assume there is a .5W overhead for the device itself.

The overhead of the UPS cheap inverter is surprisingly large and will drain a UPS during a power outage even with no devices connected.

I believe running a DC device off a DC battery is more efficient than running having a DC battery convert AC power.

My experience with UPS has been a few hours of air pump not days despite having such a low power draw . Have your experiences been difference?
One option I was considering was connecting a larger lead acid battery or even a small car battery to my UPS.

My end result I am looking for is to keep the air pump going during a power outage for as long as possible so if a power outage outage occurred while I was not home, the fish would still be able to survive.

Thanks.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Usually USB battery banks have a port for charging and a port for the device itís charging. Connect the charging port to an USB power adapter thatís plugged into a timer thatís plugged into a receptacle outlet. The timer is used to charge the USB battery bank a limited amount of time per day and to prevent the battery bank from being charged continuously. Connect the USB battery bank output port to the air pump and youíre good to go. Select a large enough USB battery bank to provide power ride through for the longest outage plus say 24 hours.

Interesting idea. In this situation, would the air pump be running 24/7 or only when the charging the battery bank is turned off?

My understanding with those battery banks is they are unable to be charged and used at the same time. Its either one or another.

I don't know if plugging in a device to use power will disable its ability to be charged or not. If so, it would require some kind of transfer switch if not, it would then require a balancing act to match the charging to the power draw as to not slowly discharge the batteries. This requires additional experimentation.

Thank you for the idea.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You're correct the inverters are inefficient. It will run a lot longer off of just battery power. In the setup I'm using I get 2-3 times the battery life running straight dc instead of going into an inverter and then using a wall wart to convert the ac back to dc.

I think you can accomplish what you want with a simple relay. If you get a single pole double throw relay with a 120v coil. Run the 120v from the wall plug to coil. Run your DC through the common and normally open. When power is cut to the coil the contacts will close and you'll complete the dc circuit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriallynchian View Post
My understanding with those battery banks is they are unable to be charged and used at the same time. Its either one or another.

I can't sure for sure all of the usb battery banks work this way, but all of the ones I own have the ability to charge up while they are powering a device. Typically they take longer to charge this way since part of the power they are drawing is being passed through. Assuming this is the case, you could do as suggested above with the timer if you did not wish to leave it charging all the time. You could calculate how long it takes to drain the battery to X amount of charge, and then calculate how long it takes to charge the battery while it's being used to fill it back up. After that you have the time to allow it to charge to set a timer for.

Last edited by Bandit1200; 11-21-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: more brainstorming afterwards...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriallynchian View Post

I don't know if plugging in a device to use power will disable its ability to be charged or not. If so, it would require some kind of transfer switch if not, it would then require a balancing act to match the charging to the power draw as to not slowly discharge the batteries. This requires additional experimentation.

Thank you for the idea.

You’ll need a pass through charging battery bank, something like what RAVPower makes.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
1. Question: "Why not use a standard UPS"
Answer. The inverter of a standard UPS will kill the battery faster then the draw from the pump. It buzz like crazy and only seem to last a few hours when my poweroutages are longer then a few hours and I am traveling a lot and unable to add another airpump.
A good quality UPS should never make a bussing sound. A bussing sound indicates a poorly designed DC to CA converter. A poorly designed converter would also be inefficient. A good converter should be able to run at 80% efficiency.

What UPS did you buy?

However Most UPS devices are designed to run devices that generally draw more than 10W at 120V AC. Meaning for a USB you would need to plug int a 120VAC to 5VDC USB power supply and then your pump. At 1.5 watts some inverters may not even turn on and others may not work well. You would b get better results with a UPS that plugs into120VAC outlet and has a built in USB plug. The UPS was take the 120VAC and convert it directly to 5VDC the USB device needs. Looking at amazon I have found in only a couple of minutes 1 larger UPS with 6 120VAC outlast and one USB outlet. I also found one mini UPS that only had low voltage outputs including a couple of USB outlets.

I don't have any UPS at home but I work on manufacturing equipment that does. The UPS is there ti simply allow the computer to do a controlled shutdown. These UPS are plugged in 24 hours a day and they never make a buzzing sound and the batteries rarely need replacement. Most have operated for years with no maintenance or replacement batteries. Most are SPC brand UPS power supplies.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
A good quality UPS should never make a bussing sound. A bussing sound indicates a poorly designed DC to CA converter. A poorly designed converter would also be inefficient. A good converter should be able to run at 80% efficiency.
Think they meant the beep or buzz they make when on battery.
Some UPS's will allow "silent" running..

Does seem like a simple double pull double throw AC coil should work..
Thought exercise..

Battery backup and relay wiring | Aquaponic Lynx LLC

Instead of "mains" being AC just use AC/DC prior to going to the NO contacts on the relay..
Something tells me it would be best to use an opto isolated AC-12V dc converter on the NO "mains" side (is that possible?).
But again.. above my paygrade

Then one can eliminate the inverter..
Prob should use a kill circuit on the bat .so it doesn't fully discharge (above my pay grade)

What ya think??

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Why not get a standard UPS from a company like APC that includes USB ports?

I use them for tank stuff all the time.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode