Future tank endeavors - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Future tank endeavors

So recently, I was approved for a mortgage for a house. Next year come income tax return it is time to start shopping! That makes me think of all the different tanks I could setup in my future house :P

Currently in my mobile home though, I have a 40 breeder setup. I also have a 55 wide (36x18x21) and a standard 55 just lying around tucked away. The 55 I have a stand for but not the wide since both the 40/55 share the same footprint.

Depending on the amount of space I have, I would like to possibly setup a rather large tank. I was debating between a 75 or 90. Or if I have a basement, possibly a 125. What do I do with the tanks I have now though? No more than two tanks setup. I guess I could have a 75 upstairs depending on the floor and MAYBE a 125 in the basement :P I don't want to get too crazy! I'm guessing if I had just one 75 gallon that in itself would be a huge tank whilst more than enough to maintain.

Or...

Compromise and sell my standard 55 and keep both the 40/55 and set them both up in different spots in the house. The 36x18x21 is actually a pretty nice tank. I would really like to have a four foot tank though.
What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had a 90 gallon for many years. I was never happy with the depth:width ratio (18" x 48") because it limited my aquascaping options. I much prefer the footprint of the 40 breeder.

If you want a 4-foot tank, I'd go for a 120 gallon (24" x 48"). The extra depth is worth it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you end up going for a 120 gallon you could use either the 40 or 55 as a sump and save yourself some money buying the big canister filters are 120 gallon would otherwise require.
sittinglynx likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
I had a 90 gallon for many years. I was never happy with the depth:width ratio (18" x 48") because it limited my aquascaping options. I much prefer the footprint of the 40 breeder.

If you want a 4-foot tank, I'd go for a 120 gallon (24" x 48"). The extra depth is worth it.
Whats wrong with the 90 gallon other than it being 25 inches tall?

I really think it would be a great choice other than the height. Almost a 100 gallon tank in the 48x18 footprint. Think of how many fish could live in there and how nice and stable the tank would be.

Logically the 75 would probably be better though considering you can get it for 50% off at the DPG sale like I saw today. Bummed cause I couldnt pick it up.

Another interesting tank is one that Seapora makes... Its called a 60 regular I believe. Its 48x15x16. Kind of a smaller version of a 75 IMO. Cool tank though. Saw one awhile back.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Planted Member

I prefer tanks that have greater depth than 18". Having 24" gives you much more flexibility for aquascaping. You can fit a larger piece of driftwood or stone, or you can create a more pronounced slope in a 24" vs a 18".

It's surface area, not necessarily tank height, that determines your fish and plant load. You can plant more plants and have more fish in a 48" x 24" (1153 square inches) than a 48" x 18" (864 square inches).

Last edited by Mark Fisher; 11-14-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

18 inches is plenty. I have no need for a tank that is 24 inches from back to front lol that would be a massive tank. Even a 125 is only 18 inches and that's more than enough.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

For me, I like a tank in the room that I sit in. I have no problem maintaining a tank that I'm always looking at. So, if you have finished basement & that's where you relax, go for the large option, otherwise, fit in a the 75 or stick with your 55 in the living-room (whatever works better). If you do end up going smaller option maybe consider a cold water tank with a chiller, maybe rainbow spinners in a 55 or if you go 75/90, maybe a few of sunfish. Maybe put your 40 breeder in your bedroom? One thing is for certain, once you own a house, that tax return almost always becomes necessary for something on the "to do" list, lol

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you are going to be ordering from a LFS that has different vendors to choose from rather than getting your tank from Petsmart or Petco or another chain look into a 5' 100 gallon tank. Mine ending up being much more cost efficient than either a 90 or 125. Something about there being less wastage of glass with that size.

Otherwise I agree that the 2' deep is pretty nice as far as scaping goes. More options with greater depth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah now that you mention it, I would love to have the tank that is in the front living area where you sit in. That's where my 40B is at now. That's why I think a 75 or 90 would be a good size. I would be worried about putting a 125 in a living room if we had a basement though. I would love to pick up a Marineland branded 75 from a LFS. But like I said, you can find the Aqueons for 100 dollars sometimes like right now.

I would actually considering setting up a huge tank in the living room and then saving my 40B for my son and setting it up for him in his room once he's old enough to appreciate it.

Last edited by Blackheart; 11-16-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: pancakes
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
IMO,a 75 is the perfect size.wide enough to do a nice layout,and yet not too tall to reach.I really like the aspect ratio of height to depth on this size of tank.

As far as a stand goes,it's very easy to build one out of 2x4's,you can then skin it with faced plywood to make it look nice as well.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If u like the 40 foot print then the 75 would be imho ur next choice if u don't want to run a 120. 75 being a longer 40 essentially. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 75 vs the 40 but the 40 works for the space its in.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
As far as a stand goes,it's very easy to build one out of 2x4's,you can then skin it with faced plywood to make it look nice as well.

Yeah I'm not that handy lol I will be buying one from a LFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
If u like the 40 foot print then the 75 would be imho ur next choice if u don't want to run a 120. 75 being a longer 40 essentially. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the 75 vs the 40 but the 40 works for the space its in.

Yeah I used to have a 58 in the same space that my 40 is currently in and it looks much better proportionally sized to the room. I'm still drawn to the thought of a 90 gallon though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I also have another thought process! Either one big tank like I said before like a 75 or 90. OR possibly keep my 40 breeder and somewhere else in the house if there's room hopefully, setup something like a 33 or possibly 40 long.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just bought a house last year, so here's my advice. 1) keep it simple to start, once you're actually living in your new house your preferences may change. 2) less tanks in more view-able areas is better than more tanks tucked away. If you have a basement and fill it with tanks, but you only go down there to do water changes... there's not much enjoyment there. vs less tanks in the actual living space say a 75g in the living room or a 20 gal in the kitchen space is great to enjoy every day when you walk by or sit down for the day.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I definitely can say, in my new house, I want a four foot tank! But until then I will be keeping my 40 breeder. I don't really care what size I get for the four foot tank. Could be 33 long, 40 long, 75. Or worst comes to worse a 55. Actually I think a cool tank to have would be 48x12x18. Seapora makes a 60 gallon that is 48x15x16. Very cool size.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode