• 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By SunQueen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which tank for shrimp

So I'm having trouble deciding what to do in which tank and could use some outside opinions.

Currently I am running an 11 gal high tech planted tank (co2, ei dosing) I work at a LFS but have only recently delved into high tech planted myself

I just set up and planted a 10 gal that I was planning on having for fancy tiger shrimp but I went a bit overboard on planting and now I think I should do co2 on it as well. My betta is in there now just to keep it cycled but I was going to move him into a fluval spec v I have when I got shrimp.

My main thing right now is I can't decide if I should do the shrimp in the 10 gal with co2 and ferts, do them in the 10 gal with no co2/ less ferts and see how the plants fare (this would be ideal but I would hate for them to all die) OR leave the betta in the 10g and do the shrimp in the spec v.

(I also feel a bit bad downgrading my betta to a 5 gallon, he was in my other 10g before this one and I think he's used to the space lol!)

I am worried about doing the shrimp with co2 but I am also worried about doing them in the smaller tank... I can't decide which would be better so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I attached a picture of the tank, do you think these plants would fare ok w/o co2 and just some dosing? idk what to do *sigh*

plant list:
Eusteralis Stellata
Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
monte carlo
Staurogyne sp Porto Velho
weeping moss
christmas moss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_235551[3319].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	889087  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum!

While all your plants would certainly like co2 only your monte carlo and Staurogyne are in much danger if not given /shrug.

Anyway you could try running co2 but on the lighter side of the spectrum, keep it 15ppm and under. I don't have first hand experience with tigers though so take it with a grain of salt.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! I've have been meaning to join since the LFS I work at just recently added a freshwater section and I need to bone up on my planted tank knowledge before I can give people advice lol!

I think I'll try it w/o co2 for now and reevaluate if I'm having a lot of problems with algae after a while

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
I'd leave the Betta in the larger tank and start the shrimp in your Spec. It sounds like you have the Spec V and that's perfect for shrimp.

Your fish will be happier and you'll be able to maintain stable parameters for Tigers or Neos in a 5gal tank - I promise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That does make sense, plus then I can get another psuedomugil species in the 10g as well and I don't have to feel bad for my betta!

I've only ever kept neos before so I'm just extra paranoid getting expensive cardinias and losing them all
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

What kind of Tigers do you want to keep?

Tangerine Tigers are pretty great. If you've kept Neos, you'll do fine with them.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What kind of Tigers do you want to keep?

Tangerine Tigers are pretty great. If you've kept Neos, you'll do fine with them.

probably red fancy tigers like these... still debating on that or fishbone pintos but from what I understand the care is mostly the same either way
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Oh - hybrids. Not actual Tigers. I'm vehemently opposed to hybridization for a number of reasons.

I'd encourage you to keep something that is not a hybridized Caridina. Especially if you're this new to shrimp.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Oh - hybrids. Not actual Tigers. I'm vehemently opposed to hybridization for a number of reasons.

I'd encourage you to keep something that is not a hybridized Caridina. Especially if you're this new to shrimp.
Can I ask why you oppose hybridizing in shrimp? this is the first time I've seen someone opposed to it so I am genuinely curious. from my understanding it doesn't impact their health (beside heavy inbreeding which could be a problem with any isolated shrimp colony) I've kept dart frogs in the past and the main argument against mixing locals (the same species just different collection locations is the concern over muddying the genetics) is it similar for shrimp?

edit: after doing some more research the main difference is that most of the colors we have now are selectively bred from the fewer, original wild caught varieties. So mixing a tiger and a bee shrimp is just mixing two variants of the same species if my understanding is correct?

Last edited by SunQueen; 11-08-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Muddying genetics is part of it.

But I generally oppose it because it causes tons of confusion with hobbyists and newcomers to the hobby. I guess that's technically a genetics issue, as well, because people unknowingly mix them.

Well-intentioned hobbyists aren't that much of a concern, personally. There's just so little study that's been done about the species we keep that it's just infuriating to see financially-motivated exporters pushing these "pretty" hybrids all over the place. All without a care in the world. No focus on habitat, scientific study, ethics, basic education or potential impact to wild populations should they accidentally be released.

There are so many gorgeous shrimp varieties already in the hobby that I try to push newcomers to them. Also quite a few still to be discovered and even more awaiting proper description.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's totally fair and an interesting perspective!

I can understand how people get them mixed up, it can be sorta confusing at first
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

One thing is for sure, though - your Spec will be perfect for whatever shrimp you choose to keep. Especially if you've got some branches or something to take advantage of the tank's awkward height.

Though it doesn't have shrimp yet, I've had my Spec V set up since July-ish (90% buces & anubias, some moss, crypts, hydrocotyle) in order to save up and let things grow in, let the tank mature. It's a breeze to keep clean, water changes are simple, it's easy to see into the tank, filter setup is almost ideal once you shrimp-proof it. They're ideal little tanks for shrimp.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 11-10-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sweet, thank you!

I went ahead and aquascaped my spec v (I ran out of water please excuse the water level lol) I'll still need to mod the filter to be safe but since it's not even cycled yet I figured it can wait. I'm also planning on adding some floating plants for more shelter + I plan on having a good amount of leaf litter on the left side
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191108_224102[3322].jpg
Views:	3
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	889143  

Discusluv likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunQueen View Post
sweet, thank you!

I went ahead and aquascaped my spec v (I ran out of water please excuse the water level lol) I'll still need to mod the filter to be safe but since it's not even cycled yet I figured it can wait. I'm also planning on adding some floating plants for more shelter + I plan on having a good amount of leaf litter on the left side
Looks nice- welcome to the Spec V shrimp tank club!
Look even better when you get some mosses growing on the branches-- which shrimp will love.

The white set-up looks really cool! I haven't seen anyone else with it on here- just the black.

I also have a Spec V that was recently cycled - I think I am setting at about 7 weeks since set-up. Letting plants grow in and allowing the tank to age well.

Look forward to following your progress.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This actually is the black, just the new version so the light is all silver! and I added a frosted vinyl on one side since it faces a window!

I added a few ceramic shrimp cubes and some alder cones. I still want to add a few lava rocks for the extra surface area and then I'll let it cycle/age for at least a month before I add shrimp (it shouldn't need long to cycle since I moved some well-established filter media into it)

I'm kinda sad the sand got some junk on it but I guess it was bound to happen eventually and cleaning it is a lot of work LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191109_184350.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	889181  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode