Cycling question - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling question

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I haven't had a running tank in 6 or so years and I'm trying to relearn as lot of stuff. I've got my 20L set up and pretty decently planted and I'm eventually going to stock 10 cherry shrimp to have a low tech planted shrimp tank. I've already got quite the population of pond snails who came in on the plants. I've read they can help keep the bioload up since shrimp don't produce much themselves. I've got a HOB filter running, air stone and a tank heater keeping it at 80 degrees as I'd heard you can speed up cycling at higher temps.

I'm doing fishless cycling and I'm 2+ weeks in. I dose the tank with enough ammonium chloride to bring my ammonia up to 2.0 ppm each night and then 24 hours later my ammonia is zero. My Nitrite has been at 2.0 ppm for 4 days and my nitrates are usually between 5 and 10 ppm. The ammonia has been zeroing out from 2.0 in 24 hours for the last 4 days. My question is about Nitrite. Is there a direct relationship between the Ammonia converted and the nitrite produced? Since I am bringing 2 ppm of ammonia to zero each day, would that create 2 ppm of Nitrite? I'm trying to determine whether the nitrite reducing bacteria are starting to build up and that's why my Nitrite is no higher than 2.0. I guess I've just got my hopes up that I can get this thing cycled in under a month. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am pretty sure its impossible to say how much ammonia creates what amount of nitrite since the bacteria that eat each substance are different from each other. Some eat ammonia, some eat nitrite. Also you have plants which can and will consume both. In fact, plants will consume both ammonia and nitrite, and nitrate all at the same time.

Patience is going to be your friend on this as well as pretty much everything else aquarium plant related.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome to the forums! I've got the shrimp bug myself and have been slowly stocking 4 20 gallon tanks these last few weeks. Thread with photos on these tanks can be found here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...rimp-rack.html.

There's also a good thread on general shrimp keeping here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...questions.html

I'm a big believer in aging a shrimp tank for as long as you can stand it. For more sensitive strains, 2 months seems to be considered a minimum for tank stability and biofilm growth. Not to say that you couldn't have success and no losses doing it more quickly, just your odds of losing shrimp is lower the longer the tanks runs before adding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpandwhitewine View Post
I guess I've just got my hopes up that I can get this thing cycled in under a month. Any guidance would be appreciated.
You can absolutely have beneficial bacteria established and a completed nitrogen cycle inside of a month. Especially with filter squeezes or product additions. I wouldn't go dropping delicate Taiwan bees in such a tank but hardier cherries would have a good chance of survival. But survival rates would be expected to be higher the longer the aquarium is set up before adding shrimp in any case.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, that's what I figured, but patience has never been my virtue. I will wait until I'm fully cycled before getting my shrimp, but man it's tough. I grabbed a junky biobag from my sister's tank yesterday which is fully cycled and squeezed out everything I could into my tank and filter, but it's a 5 gallon with one betta in it, so I'm guessing the bacterial population isn't much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Welcome to the forums! I've got the shrimp bug myself and have been slowly stocking 4 20 gallon tanks these last few weeks. Thread with photos on these tanks can be found here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...rimp-rack.html.

There's also a good thread on general shrimp keeping here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...questions.html

I'm a big believer in aging a shrimp tank for as long as you can stand it. For more sensitive strains, 2 months seems to be considered a minimum for tank stability and biofilm growth. Not to say that you couldn't have success and no losses doing it more quickly, just your odds of losing shrimp is lower the longer the tanks runs before adding them.

You can absolutely have beneficial bacteria established and a completed nitrogen cycle inside of a month. Especially with filter squeezes or product additions. I wouldn't go dropping delicate Taiwan bees in such a tank but hardier cherries would have a good chance of survival. But survival rates would be expected to be higher the longer the aquarium is set up before adding shrimp in any case.

Thanks man, good luck with your 4 new shrimp tanks! I'm definitely not trying anything complex to start. No Caradinas for me, just the neos. My tap water has got a very high pH (around 7.6-7.8), so I'm not even contemplating the whole RO system and remineralizing for those soft water shrimpies. Definitely only Neos for me.

I have added a bacteria product (API Quickstart), put some rock wool from a plant I bought into my filter housing and squeezed a biobag from an established tank into mine yesterday, so here's to hoping I can get up and running in another week or two. I have already added Indian almond leaf, alder cones, cholla wood and java moss, which have been in there since the start, so I should have solid surface area for biofilm. I also have some Bacter AE in case my tank can't produce enough biofilm to keep up at the beginning. When I go into a project I do my homework and I try my best. It's just the patience waiting for a new tank to cycle that I don't have. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of my tank. I just need to figure out how I can post tank pics on the forum.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-02-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't remember where I got this , but it is probably a good rule of thumb.......
1ppm ammonia --> 2.7 ppm nitrite --> 3.6 ppm nitrate.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Also you have plants which can and will consume both. In fact, plants will consume both ammonia and nitrite, and nitrate all at the same time.
I don't think nitrite is in the cards for plant uptake?
I could be wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Also you have plants which can and will consume both. In fact, plants will consume both ammonia and nitrite, and nitrate all at the same time.
I don't think nitrite is in the cards for plant uptake?

I could be wrong?
They do or at least that's what Diana Walstad noted in her book. I googled it just now and found this for reference.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...th-nitrate.htm

Mentioned nitrite use by plants casually in the third to last paragraph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I checked again today and Ammonia is zero as always 24 hours after dosing to 2.0, nitrite is 2.0 and Nitrates are close to 40! Not sure where all those nitrates came from since I've been at 5 the last 4 days. I guess I'll just keep on dosing with 2.0 PPM of ammonia each day and hope that eventually my nitrites zero out. I read that you shouldn't water change until you're fully cycled, but that Nitrate seems really high. What do y'all think? Maybe the plants will take care of it?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 04:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Sometimes you could kickstart a mini-cycle, I did that with my sand substrate in a bowl before, all of a sudden my nitrites were bananas!

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode