Paludarium fungus and water flow issues - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paludarium fungus and water flow issues

So I've got this 50 gallon paludarium... it's been a big labor of love for a while, I never made a tank journal for it because I didn't think it looked nearly as good as the fantastic setups I've seen on this forum. I made a planting area for emersed growth by putting a couple plastic containers on pvc pipe risers, attached to slate and buried in the substrate. The driftwood is set up in a similar way.

Now lot of fluffy white fungus is beginning to accumulate underneath the planter box, probably due to lack of water flow. Thereís not a lot of room, all my equipment has to be awkwardly shoved in the corners. Maybe adding a water pump to increase circulation would help?

This thing has already been going for a year. Still no fishÖ on the one hand Iím proud I built it all by myself, but on the other hand I inadvertently made upkeep very difficult. I wonder if itís even worth getting fish for it, if I shouldnít try to renovate it or even tear it down, but I don't think I can take parts of it out without completely removing everything else.

Does anyone have any input on what I should do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1019aquariumsml.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	888691  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What is substrate? Are you doing any water changes and maintenance? I think I see a double sponge air powered filter in right corner. That should be plenty of water movement as long as you keep sponges cleaned weekly and change 10-20% water.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Substrate is Black Diamond blasting sand. I'm doing water changes, though admittedly not weekly... more like every other week, since there's no livestock. There's a double sponge filter on the right, and a 20gal internal filter on the left.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Youíve got plenty of circulation if your talking about a powerhead/internal filter. Just make sure itís output is blowing under dishes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Youíve got plenty of circulation if your talking about a powerhead/internal filter. Just make sure itís output is blowing under dishes.
I assume you meant blowing under the planter box? This internal filter can work horizontally, so I can try setting it up like that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygropunk View Post
I assume you meant blowing under the planter box? This internal filter can work horizontally, so I can try setting it up like that.
Turtleclean 20? If so no need to change orientation and make it harder to clean/service just attach spraybar with elbow down front and have it blow under planters.
hygropunk likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anytime i've had new wood added to a tank thst fuffy ehite stuff happens.
I now boil the crap out of my wood first , which sterilizes it and leaches nutrients out of the wood that may feed the white fluff.

16G Aquastar High Tech nicrew lit with dwarf rainbow and striata's
Aquastyle Ar380 9G custom 5730 leds and filter modded for plants and shrimp
4G low iron cube with custom zoomed nano 10 filter
12G Long with Oase thermo100 filter, JC&P 5730 full spec led strip
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTIA View Post
Anytime i've had new wood added to a tank thst fuffy ehite stuff happens.
I now boil the crap out of my wood first , which sterilizes it and leaches nutrients out of the wood that may feed the white fluff.
I realize that's normal, Fungus can still occur even after boiling the wood, sometimes. But I've had this tank set up for a year now, and the fungus just started cropping up. I noticed it's growing mostly on plant roots... so I think it's either some kind of beneficial mycorrhizae, or those roots are dead and the fungus is feeding on them. Not sure.

I cleaned the filters and added the spraybar attachment to the Turtleclean. The fungus is still present, but has stopped growing, at least.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode