Bottom Feeders for Large Planted Tanks? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What was I thinking. High fish loads, supplemented with more urea dosing, high light and low plant mass that's the way to keep a tank clean of algae.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Edward,

You have been here way longer than me. Can you remind us of your short-version tank philosophy?

Thanks

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Edward,

You have been here way longer than me. Can you remind us of your short-version tank philosophy?

Thanks
Are you asking because of my post #30 above or is there more? Who is "us" BTW?

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, I was replying to #30. I run dirt for low-effort reasons. It was really interesting to see your post about organics. I asked for the clarification since I think I know how some folks here run tanks, but I didn't want to guess wrong. "Us" was just a way to not make it about me.

Cheers

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Edward,

Thanks
And pics of the results??

---
---
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It was not a challenge! I just wanted a contextual reminder for useful conversation. I remember a lot of names on this forum, but not everyone's techniques, styles, and objectives.

Cheers

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Mammy mammy! I have to make one more selfie to impress TPT!
Greggz likes this.

post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It was not a challenge! I just wanted a contextual reminder for useful conversation.
My discussion is not as much about how to or recommendation, but rather how to try new things. The only way forward is to abandon the old believes and try new stuff. Good and bad, and finding what new and unusual can work. Being stuck in old stall system does not evolve. You always have a group of people defending believes they have learned, canít change them easily, it takes years. But, eventually, they can get there and it can take years. Look at the last few, it took them a decade to come to a sense, and now, they are so confused, they are afraid to admit it. Thatís ok, I am happy for them. They can grow nice and healthy plants now.

post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
What should I add to the tank to help clean up any excess food and munch on algae?
Pleco? Cory Cats? Amano Shrimp? Snails (that don't breed like crazy)?
Obviously, nothing that digs around and moves/uproots plants.
Tank is 143 gallons.
I'm a cory cat, Amano shrimp, snail fan fwiw. As stated they won't make your tank sparkle on their own, but snails and shrimp will eat certain algae off plants. And cory cats are just plain fun, I think you'd enjoy a school of 10-12 in there. They'll scavenge food and play around. I've never heard anyone regret getting cories that I can remember, but heard a lot of " I wasn't expecting to like them this much" type stories. I personally like Habrosus and Panda cories because I prefer smaller fish. Sterbai are cool larger cories that can tolerate higher temps if you go that route. I'm a fan of single species schools unless you don't mind them hybridizing...

https://www.planetcatfish.com/ is a good resource if you choose to dive deeper into cories

I really like your tank so far too! and look forward to watching its progress
Edward and d2creative like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
A giant tank like the one @d2creative has set up would look amazing with a ton of Cories like Corydoras habrosus. 50 or 60 of them = a dream.

A ton of Amano shrimp would also be great. They're large enough to look good in a tank like that.
Edward and d2creative like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

About 15 years ago we got 6 beautiful Corydoras sterbai to 125 gallon. We still have them today and their numbers increased to several dozens after x number of generations. They are fun to watch and they are always in good mood. Also, they are helping to keep water clean by lifting debris so filters can pick it up.
d2creative likes this.

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 12:58 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
This is a good point I forget about. They really do keep the muck stirred up and off the substrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
they are helping to keep water clean by lifting debris so filters can pick it up.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was back at the LFS picking up another batch of Ember Tetras today so I started my cleanup crew by grabbing three Julii Cory Cats.
They had several different kinds of Cory but these were the most striking IMO.
Was also going to get some Otto Cats but they were slim pickings... not the best looking.
Greggz likes this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
I was back at the LFS picking up another batch of Ember Tetras today so I started my cleanup crew by grabbing three Julii Cory Cats.
They had several different kinds of Cory but these were the most striking IMO.
They are beautiful.
But having only three is not the best, they will be scared, hiding and you never see them. If there is any chance getting three more, they will completely change. They will be going out and play on the open. They love being in larger groups.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
They are beautiful.

But having only three is not the best, they will be scared, hiding and you never see them. If there is any chance getting three more, they will completely change. They will be going out and play on the open. They love being in larger groups.

Yeah I saw later that I should have gotten at least 4. The embers and these are my first fish and Iíve been worried about adding too much to the bioload on a brand new tank. Iíll definitely get some more soon though.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode