Pond-Style Aquariums - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Pond-Style Aquariums

I am planning on doing an aquarium like this in the coming year and came across this picture. This tank is unusual- it looks like its on a stand. Anyone have any idea what manufacturer this could be.

Also, those adept at recognizing plants-- what types do you see in photo?

What do you think of this style of planted aquarium- do you like it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3uCdu9g...=12eiwifwnxkgo
evil8 and Desert Pupfish like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love that idea.

Something different is why I like it. For sure my next setup will be something I have never ever done before, which will be fun.

As a side project, I think a tank like the one in that picture would be a lot of fun. Keeping aphids out of it would be my biggest struggle.

No idea on the plant names or the tank manufacturer...

Make sure to start a journal if you end up going with a tank like that. I'd follow along no question.
Discusluv likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I love that idea.

Something different is why I like it. For sure my next setup will be something I have never ever done before, which will be fun.

As a side project, I think a tank like the one in that picture would be a lot of fun. Keeping aphids out of it would be my biggest struggle.

No idea on the plant names or the tank manufacturer...

Make sure to start a journal if you end up going with a tank like that. I'd follow along no question.
When I do start it up I will definitely do a journal.

I love it too--- it will partially satisfy my dream of a pond in my backyard with beautiful koi. Just in extreme mini version- and no fish.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post

it will partially satisfy my dream of a pond in my backyard with beautiful koi. Just in extreme mini version- and no fish.
Urhm.... "koi" style betta fish!

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:

Damn, looks so amazing.
Discusluv likes this.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pic is little low res but I’d say that’s a DIY plexiglass project. Acrylic welding is actually pretty easy. You just need smooth cut plexiglass pieces cut to your specs or if you’ve got table saw and router fabricate your own.

Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just feel bad for the poor dog whose water bowl got so overgrown.....

Seriously though, love this idea. Especially Quagulator's idea of a koi betta, and/or some colorful shrimp to liven it up, in a slightly larger container with some open water space

A broad shallow bowl might work well for this kind of project. Easier than a DIY acrylic project unless you enjoy that sort of thing

Looking forward your journal chronicling this project
Quagulator and Discusluv like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Now that is one Betta that makes me want a Beta- beautiful.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Pic is little low res but I’d say that’s a DIY plexiglass project. Acrylic welding is actually pretty easy. You just need smooth cut plexiglass pieces cut to your specs or if you’ve got table saw and router fabricate your own.

https://youtu.be/hT6Ow_cBTps
DIY projects that require a tablesaw and router are beyond this girl.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I just feel bad for the poor dog whose water bowl got so overgrown.....

Seriously though, love this idea. Especially Quagulator's idea of a koi betta, and/or some colorful shrimp to liven it up, in a slightly larger container with some open water space

A broad shallow bowl might work well for this kind of project. Easier than a DIY acrylic project unless you enjoy that sort of thing

Looking forward your journal chronicling this project

HA! Poor dog turned around and something grew clean out of his bowl!

Shrimp, maybe for this project. But, Im inclined to think that even shrimp may be off the table for this one. Its really densely planted and shallow.

I love that Koi Betta though...
Quagulator likes this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look into 45s and 60s aquariums. UNS makes them as do other manufacturers. Doesn't have an integrated stand but it will give you the shallow height you are looking for.
Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Do!aqua - an ADA brand - makes that particular tank. Rather, it's recently rebranded as DOOA.

There are similar square/cube tanks that have been cut down (shallow) like that available from UNS and others of various volume.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Planted Member

My 20-gallon long "pond":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swords Aug 2019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	888267  

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Do!aqua - an ADA brand - makes that particular tank. Rather, it's recently rebranded as DOOA.

There are similar square/cube tanks that have been cut down (shallow) like that available from UNS and others of various volume.
There it is- cool! ~ Neo-Glass Air tank. Thanks, Jake

I also found a video (attached) on Youtube that the guy who set this tank did explaining how to set up a pond-style tank.

He goes over materials, layout, substrate, plants, fertilization, livestock, and maintenance. What is really great is he talks about the plants used in some detail ( submersed plants we are more familiar with and emerged growth plants typically used in ponds that we are not so familiar with). Take a look!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
My 20-gallon long "pond":
Thats really an amazing tank- thanks for sharing!
Can you give us some info on this tank:
How long set up?
Fertilization techniques?
Substrate used?

Lighting?

Plants used?

That would be great!
Quagulator likes this.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very cool idea- I would follow along with this build!

Also, a little beta desktop spec V or something may be I'm my future. That's a good looking fish!
Quagulator and Discusluv like this.

|

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:59 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
This pond situation is why I nudged you to check out the 3-vase sets available at IKEA, @Discusluv. The shallow one in the set I got is perfect for this.

This one:

22cm diameter. Tons of room for a small container.

Here's an image of a setup I swiped from the internet somewhere as inspiration:

Could be a cheap and easy entrée into the whole pond idea to see if it's worthwhile. (I think it is.)

Good spot to use extra aquarium plants. Definitely some stems for emergent growth. Maybe a couple small marginal pond plants.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
This pond situation is why I nudged you to check out the 3-vase sets available at IKEA, @Discusluv. The shallow one in the set I got is perfect for this.

This one:

22cm diameter. Tons of room for a small container.

Here's an image of a setup I swiped from the internet somewhere as inspiration:

Could be a cheap and easy entrée into the whole pond idea to see if it's worthwhile. (I think it is.)

Good spot to use extra aquarium plants. Definitely some stems for emergent growth. Maybe a couple small marginal pond plants.
Thanks for the reminder, Im going to order this set.

Edit: Also, of topic, is that a Peperomia plant in picture- so pretty.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode