• 2 Post By makeme
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 5 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anyone "dip" new plants?

Coming from saltwater, I'm of the mindset where no coral goes into the tank without dipping it for pests.
Does anything like this exist/practiced for plants? I know you can QT.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most people giver their plants a very quick h2o2 bath to remove all pests. Some just QT.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Or others like me, just "visually" inspect and plop them in anyway. But as @aquanerd13 mentioned, a quick bleach or Hydrogen peroxide dip will take care of pests or other harmful things the plants might be carrying.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you. I'll look up correct H202 dip practices. Seems like it would be easy enough.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:26 AM
Algae Grower

If the "pests" you want to dip plants for include snails, H202 will not work. I've done a lot of research on this because I am repulsed by snails...yeah, yeah, I know, they're beneficial to the tank, yaddah yaddah...The best dipping solution I have found is a tablespoon of alum in a gallon of dechlorinated water, leave the plants in it for 2 to 3 hrs, then rinse them really well in fresh dechlorinated water. Alum is potassium aluminum sulfate, often used for pickling vegetables. You can find it in most grocery stores in the spices section...I bought 2 little bottles of the McCormick brand. Also, here is a link for a great video where the 'tuber tests out different plant dipping solutions:
irishspy and Econde like this.

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
Coming from saltwater, I'm of the mindset where no coral goes into the tank without dipping it for pests.
Does anything like this exist/practiced for plants? I know you can QT.
Hi @d2creative,

I use a dip of 1% hydrogen peroxide (2 parts water + 1 part 3% H2O2) for no more than 3 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Even at this low concentration leaf damage may occur with soft leaf plants. To avoid snails in my tanks (all five are snail-free) I quarantine plants for two weeks adding 3 drops of Seachem Cuprisorb per liter of water (not recommended for tanks with shrimp/invertebrates). The copper doesn't kill snail eggs but it does kill the small snails when they hatch (and any adults hiding as well).
Econde likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Time to be contrary!

Alternatively... instead of trying to avoid snails? Embrace them. Let them do their thing. Intentionally add them.

They won't get outta control if you don't overfeed. They'll make for an awesome cleanup crew. And lots of them - like Ramshorn and larger Pond Snails - are entertaining to watch, can be quite colorful. Nerites are fine.

Snails are a sign of a healthy tank. Function like a canary in a coal mine - will often all head to the surface when something is wrong. They devour dead snails/shrimp/fish/dead and decaying plant matter super-fast. Also gobble up any algae they can get to like it's going outta style.

I can't imagine having a tank without them. Enjoy them almost as much as shrimp and try to keep them in large numbers.

I find visual inspection to be good enough for most of my plants. Check them closely, let them sit in water for an hour or so, clean them up and put them to use. That's usually enough to find leeches and weird worms.

If they're going into a shrimp tank and I can't be absolutely certain about their source, I keep them in container for a couple days and test for copper.

Way easier than coral.
Econde, varanidguy, evil8 and 2 others like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys.

As for snails, I like snails. In my reefs they are a necessity for clean up crew and I always have several varieties.

On the other hand, my betta tank has these itty bitty little transparent white looking specs all over the glass and rocks.
I would like to avoid those types of pest snails if possible.
Had to get some assassin snails for that tank and they're still all over the place, even in the moss. lol

-Dennis

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Got a photo? They sound like limpets.

I've found that they're far less hardy in tanks with buffering substrate, lower pH, lower temps than other types. I'll often have a limpet explosion at the start of a new soft water shrimp tank and they disappear after a month or so.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Got a photo? They sound like limpets.
They do kinda look like limpets.

-Dennis

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Some look like limpets, some are Mini Ramshorn, some could possibly be Pond or Bladder Snails but it's tough to tell. For limpets, they don't look like they're doing too well and have thin, deteriorating, slightly calcified shells - so I don't think they're gonna be a problem for you for much longer.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode