Can We Please Retire High-Tech/Low-Tech? - The Planted Tank Forum
 155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can We Please Retire High-Tech/Low-Tech?

These terms don't really make any sense in terms of helping hobbyists.

We get to choose: tanks, substrate, lighting, dosing, CO2, automation, filtration, plants, inverts, fish, water changes, etc. Any of those choices could go in a different direction.

In the 90s, I worked at a record store selling electronic music. Categories were useless. We used keywords.

Cheers

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By general word usage on this forum low-tech refers to tanks that are not running any kind of pressurized co2 whether they are diy co2 or from a pressurized cylinder.

With that co2 comes a host of other things you pretty much need to do to keep your tank in balance (better lighting generally, and regimented fertilizer dosing).

Without pressurized co2 it is very difficult (though my understanding not impossible) to have high lighting in a balanced tank.

In other words I feel like the terms have significant descriptive power. If there is a problem with them its simply that we do not have good rock steady definitions for what they mean. My understanding of their meaning is based on reading a LOT of threads on this forum. This seems to be the accepted definition for most people in the know. But another person will come in from outside this forum and have a different definition. What we need is a dictionary. I mean an actual dictionary that describes the terms we use all the time. We could update the dictionary as new terms are needed etc.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Although I would have chosen different names initially, renaming things so long established can increase confusion. I'm curious: what would you name the two very distinct approaches?

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think (as described) that they are valid terms that describe two very important differences....and frankly I don't see how hard rock, soft rock, R&B, country, rap, etc. wouldn't still be valid categories in a record store.
Trailmixguy likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
These terms don't really make any sense in terms of helping hobbyists.

Cheers
In terms of helping hobbyists, no they dont. How many times have we seen the newcomer ask "What is high-tech in relation to low-tech?" 99.9% of the time the answer is the use of Co2.

Um , okay. That means - what?

That means... Then you get down to descriptors, keywords.. communicative terms that make sense in terms of helping hobbyists.

So, yeah- I get yah.

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

In aquaculture, they use intensive, semi-intensive and extensive to categorize the production technology:

Extensive culture systems receive no intentional nutritional inputs but depend on natural food in the culture facility, including that brought in by water flow e.g., currents and tidal exchange.
Semi-intensive culture systems depend largely on natural food which is increased over baseline levels by fertilisation and/or use of supplementary feed to complement natural food.
Intensive culture systems depend on nutritionally complete diets added to the system, either fresh, wild, marine or freshwater fish, or on formulated diets, usually in dry pelleted form.

Maybe we could borrow from this classification and modify it for our uses?

Source: 1. Definitions
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
In terms of helping hobbyists, no they dont. How many times have we seen the newcomer ask "What is high-tech in relation to low-tech?" 99.9% of the time the answer is the use of Co2.

Um , okay. That means - what?

That means... Then you get down to descriptors, keywords.. communicative terms that make sense in terms of helping hobbyists.

So, yeah- I get yah.
In any new hobby I find the first stages are just understanding the terminology. I have .... a lot of hobbies.. At the start of each one when I ask questions on forums or in person its like communicating with people who speak another language. Getting a grasp of the terminology is key. When I started exploring diy lighting for tanks it was especially bad since a bit of math and physics is mixed into the electrical terminology already being used.

I really do think a dictionary would be helpful. At least something we could link people to when we they start having questions about what something means. /shrug
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I really do think a dictionary would be helpful. At least something we could link people to when we they start having questions about what something means. /shrug
Good idea. Especially need an acronym page(s) for newcomers

I have MTS and my MTS burrow through my MTS

(Multiple Tank Syndrome) (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) (Mineralized Top Soil)

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Good idea. Especially need an acronym page(s) for newcomers

I have MTS and my MTS burrow through my MTS

(Multiple Tank Syndrome) (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) (Mineralized Top Soil)
This made me Lol.

Anyway, yea it's all true. I have "Low Tech Walstad". But within my setup, I have a Fluval 3.0 (BT capable), Hydor In-Line heater and a canister filter. All of which I would consider not so Low tech. Also using remineralized RO water vs just tap water.
KayakJimW likes this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

iPhone reply:

Three dimensions, with three reference points:

Substrate: Dirt + Cap; Aquasoil; Inert,

CO2: None; Soil Decomposition, Passive CO2; Active CO2,

Fertilizer: None; Easy-Green; Custom Fertilizer Mix,

Extra Dimensions: Filtration, Lighting, Heating, Aeration, Automation, Water Changes.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-17-2019 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Details
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get rid of low/high tech, just go to CO2 or no CO2 IMHO.

Also some savvy person create a form to embed in our signatures that we can fill out with our tank parameters. Would save the first few questions asked in about every thread with issues...... ofcourse it probably wouldnt get updated and people would still have to ask lol.
Discusluv and N7QL like this.

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

The terms low tech and high tech is nonsense.
We can have dirt with UV, 100 PAR no CO2 short photoperiod, 25 PAR with pressurized CO2 long photoperiod, auto dosing no CO2, or any other tech combination.

In essence, itís the overall energy that is dividing the two systems into Low Energy and High Energy setups.
Econde and Discusluv like this.

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im traveling internationally today.... Thank you for posting this. However I did giggle out loud-
I turned to the person next to me and said 'great discussion over low tech walsted versus tanks that are artificially augmented/enhanced'.

The look I got was that I was insane. This now became a discussion: 'My kid has a goldfish in a bowl' vs 'I have a 1.5 gallon but it has a automatic light and filter... so am I low tech?'

I replied: its all in the eye of the beholder

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Whether we like the term low tech and high tech is in some ways irrelevant at this point in time. This is because the hobby as a whole use the terms extensively. Its even in product marketing, this fertilizer for high tech tanks, this one for low tech. This light for high tech tanks, this light for low tech. Etc etc.

Diana Walstad wrote about low tech tanks and high tech tanks in her book even. That book has a copyright in 1999, so 20 years ago. The terms have been around for at least that long. I can't say if they existed before that point, I was in high school and not past the "kids" tank stage of the hobby.

I will freely admit the terms are not as descriptive as one could want, but it is what we have. I think we should try to avoid language fragmentation as much as possible and instead provide stability.

To that end I am going to give a go to my dictionary idea. If its something that appears helpful we can keep it updated.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
I replied: its all in the eye of the beholder
This pretty much sums it up. The terms are laid out already as @minorhero referenced to Diana Walstad's book. I think we can all agree that when posting questions, we should all probably lay out a bit of background on the tank in question.
Light, filter, heater, water parameters, flora/fauna, dosing/not dosing ferts, etc.

To me low tech means : Minimal maintenance.
High tech : Lots of maintenance.

Bump:

What do those terms mean to everyone here?
KayakJimW likes this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 10-17-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Question.

Tags
categories, category, high-tech, keyword, low-tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode