What is your least favorite sized tank you have, or have had? - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
What is your least favorite sized tank you have, or have had?

I thought this could be an interesting conversation. I feel every tank size works for some type of scape or some people just love them, but are not for everyone. I have owned a lot of tanks and I would say my least favorite tank is my ADA 60P (20 gallon high). I feel it has all the negatives of my next least favorite, the tall and not deep enough 29 gallon without the width. It is a good sized tank for my home, and I found an aquascape that works for me, but it's really challenging. My ideal tank would be a 90P (50 gallon standard, almost the same as a 40B but taller). I just love deep tanks, you can do so much. Same with like a 20 long, short tank but the width really makes it work. I am looking forward to my new 60P scape, I haven't made a journal, I impressed myself, but this tank taught me so much.

What tank do you hate and why (and feel free to compare it to some of your favorites).
Discusluv likes this.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have had many tanks since getting into the fish/planted tank hobby in 2011. The one that sticks out in my mind the most as being a tank that was a PITA was the marineland 56 gallon column tank. That and my 75 gallon tank. Not that the 75 wasn't really nice in terms of the tank itself, but it was a lot to maintain. I got it at a garage sale for 100 bucks used for the tank and stand. It was like biting off more than I could chew lol I prefer mid to smaller sized tanks, 55 and under. The 56 I had found for sale for the complete setup at Petsmart years ago for around 220 dollars after tax and I jumped on it thinking it would be a great tank because it was 50+ gallons but in a smaller size. Nope. Was a pain in the butt to do anything in lol

A few other tanks I've had are 10 gallon, 20 high, 25 gallon, 40 breeder, 58 and 55 gallon tanks. I really enjoyed the 40 breeder and 55 tanks. 40B is what I have setup now.

Last edited by Blackheart; 10-15-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: cheese
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
20gal XH (extra high, which is what the designer must've been) It was basically 2 ten gallon tanks stacked vertically. Looks like they've stopped manufacturing them, thankfully. I guess the idea was that you could use your old 10 gallon stand and hood, and double the volume, but the dimensions were just horrible!
20Lx10Wx24H

The 37g was also weak, IMO. Like a 29, just taller. The reason I dislike both is the disproportionate height. Have to use extra equipment to move water at the bottom, lighting issues, etc.

I like 10s, 29s, 75s/even 90s. My dream tank would be a 180
Blue Ridge Reef and makeme like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 10-15-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added likes

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
my wife's 35 hex from the 70's...it's about 30 inches tall,with maybe a 15 inch footprint.A real challenge to scape,or to get any light to the bottom of,since you're stuck with a 12 inch light on top.also,she wants neons or cardinals in it,lol.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was given a 20 gallon high (24" x 12" x 16"). The footprint isn't much bigger than a 10 gallon, just extra tall, so no real advantage to this layout. My 20 gallon long is a much better choice.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Actually, another strange tank size that I've had is a 14 gallon tank. Footprint of a 10 gallon but taller. Not a good size IMO
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

I had a 15 gal high I could never get balanced and my sister gave me a 37 flat back half hex that's ugly as sin.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The most difficult one for me to make look good is my 24" cube. Im still not entirely happy with it as it is, but am limited on doing more because of the discus I have in it. I would do more with taking up some of the area with hardscape- but the fish need this area, which limits me.
Actually, with this tank, if I had the ability, I would probably do a terrarium type setup. This is something Ive recently become interested in.

As far as my favorite size tank, I am torn between my love of big fish ( primarily South American cichlids) and an increasing desire to keep plants, shrimp, ~ smaller, more intricate designs.
I have a 180 gallon tank that I love because it allows me to keep the fish I like. But, here too, I am limited by what will work because of the concerns of the fish. I have been thinking about how I could rescape this tank to find that middle ground between aesthetics and needs of the fish. In the coming year I hope to do this.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Planted Member

I had a 110g tall tank which is 30" tall. 30" is to tall to reach to the bottom for maintenance which made it miserable to work on.

I will have a real hard time talking myself into another 30 inch tall tank. But a 220g 30 x 30 x 72 has been really catching my attention lately. Someone talk me out of trying another 30" tall tank please!
sittinglynx likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
I had a 110g tall tank which is 30" tall. 30" is to tall to reach to the bottom for maintenance which made it miserable to work on.

I will have a real hard time talking myself into another 30 inch tall tank. But a 220g 30 x 30 x 72 has been really catching my attention lately. Someone talk me out of trying another 30" tall tank please!
A standard 220 is 72Lx24Wx30H which is taller than I'd like too. Check out a 180, same footprint but 24" tall. Should keep the sleeves a little dryer! And still qualifies as a B.A.T. (Big Arse Tank) Cheaper too...

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
A standard 220 is 72Lx24Wx30H which is taller than I'd like too. Check out a 180, same footprint but 24" tall. Should keep the sleeves a little dryer! And still qualifies as a B.A.T. (Big Arse Tank) Cheaper too...
If it's big enough,you could just throw on swimming gear and dive in
KayakJimW likes this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:48 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Hands-down the standard 55-gallon tank. Too tall and skinny to really take advantage of its length and volume when it comes to aquascaping. Always frustrates me when friends get one and I have to slowly watch them develop hatred for it. Like clockwork, most of them end up with a 40B or a standard 75 in a matter of months.
Grobbins48 and evil8 like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:30 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (11/100%)
When my shop was more dedicated to aquatics, by far the biggest selling new aquariums (besides 10's) were 55's. They were half the price of a 75, and people getting into the hobby thought they looked huge! But that extra half foot of depth is everything, whether using live rock or driftwood.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 AM
Algae Grower

Really hate my main display. It’s a standard 55. Although I feel I’ve done well with how bad it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C28E7A0B-1BE2-4DB3-BE41-44090BE6EE6F_1571283640308.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	888201  

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Really hate my main display. Itís a standard 55. Although I feel Iíve done well with how bad it is
You've achieved decent depth with that 12" width though, good job. If we were playing name that tank, I'd have guessed 75
sittinglynx likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode