Is this what I think it is? If so, help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this what I think it is? If so, help!

So I was looking in the tank today and saw small kinda aquamarine-colored critter stuck to the glass. it is very small and has a sort of arm I think hanging down that branches into smaller ones, kind of like a pitchfork. I have heard before of creatures stuck to the glass that sting fish and stun or kill them, but I don't remember what they are called or exactly what they look like. Here is a blurry pic. I couldn't get a good shot .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	887909  

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 AM
Algae Grower

I can't see anything from your picture, but based on your description, it sounds like it's hydra. Here's a picture of hydra, did it look like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/PTpXShKfQxeuSMUe6

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

no. That is what I heard about though. The greenish spots are the subjects. Maybe baby hydra? I hope not though. It didn't look like baby snails though.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-10-2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Is this what you're trying to get us to identify?

www.imgur.com/a/NQ34Jzh
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Even if they are hydra, I wouldn't worry about it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...eat-hydra.html

|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes @lmfbs, that is it. I realized it actually is hydra.

Yay @varanidguy! I should be good then! except I haven't seen the pond snails eating them. I am already planning on cherry barbs though, so hopefully they eat them. Those guys also said dwarf gouramis. I hope that means T. Chuna to.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
yes @lmfbs, that is it. I realized it actually is hydra.

Yay @varanidguy! I should be good then! except I haven't seen the pond snails eating them. I am already planning on cherry barbs though, so hopefully they eat them. Those guys also said dwarf gouramis. I hope that means T. Chuna to.
I personally welcome little critters like that unless they're with nano fish or dwarf shrimp. They're just free live food for my inhabitants. lol

|
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, so they don't eat all fishes? I thought they would cover the walls of the tank and slaughter all my fish.

I also know how they got here. I was an idiot and didn't soak the amazon swords in bleach water.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nah, they're fine except with small critters.

Lesson learned.

|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So they won't hurt cherry barbs and honey gouramis? What about scaleless fish like corydoras?

I also just noticed a small white worm crawling down the side of the tank.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-11-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nope, they should be fine. The gouramis and barbs will likely eat them. Any pictures of said worms? Detritus worms are common in new tanks, I have them in my 75 (we set them up at about the same time), they work also as little snacks.

|
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yup, they look like detritus worms.

So I guess the critters aren't so bad, and now I can tell people I have hydras in my tank lol

https://thecreatureworldcc.fandom.com/wiki/Hydra

So I guess the critters aren't so bad, and now I can tell people I have hydras in my tank lol

https://thecreatureworldcc.fandom.com/wiki/Hydra

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-12-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode