Selling tank setup? - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Selling tank setup?

So... This isn't an advertisement for selling a tank. It's just a thread about selling them. Awhile back, I had come across a 55 gallon marineland tank that I picked up and decided that I didn't want. Sadly it wasn't returnable. Any LFS that does that in my opinion is BS.

I have been trying to sell this setup for awhile. The brand new 55 gallon along with a used stand and canopy for a couple hundred bucks. I don't think that's too bad especially for a tank that is new and never been used.

I've had many different people message me from facebook and a few from craigslist. Never works out. Either that or people message me asking if it's available and never respond back.

What gives? Anyone else had issues like this selling stuff in the past? What gives? Why are people so weird? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
People are people.

If you can't get it sold within a couple months, consider lowering your price. If you can't get a price you think is fair, then it may be time to hold on to it for a while until the hobby picks back up. We've (as a hobby) been in a bit of a lull for a couple years but things seem to be slowly getting more interesting. Activity also usually picks up during cooler weather.

It's sometimes taken me a year+ to find buyers for tanks. It'll probably take you a while to find someone to buy a full 55 setup like that, so maybe you should also consider splitting it up. I've had better luck that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
What gives? Why are people so weird? Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well, I would go for cheaper, but I actually need the money to help pay off some debt. 200 dollars would definitely help.

Also.. I currently have this thing stored in my shed on top of a wood pallet. Structurally, is it okay to have it in there through a few seasons? It's only been in there about a month or so but it's getting cold now. Would this wear out the seams at all?

I've also considered just keeping it and setting it up somewhere later in life. But who knows when that might be. a year or two? I don't know if the tank will still be good by then.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
For me, even if Its listed as unused, it’s a bigger risk to buy from somebody on CL over getting from a store. So it’s gotta be a steal for me to inquire. I’d rather get something that’s been on display indoors over something that’s endured hot summer and cold winter but pay the premium
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Planted Member

In my opinion, a big barrier is transportation. Lots of people want tanks, but they might not have a way to transport it. If you can offer transportation then that will greatly help with the sale.

Also for second hand tanks, people do not like to rebuild the stand if you've taken it apart. (Because if they are missing a screw or some piece then they are out of luck. It's a big hassle for most non-DIY people)

So ideally, if you can transport the stand + tank in one piece then it should sell quickly.

--UN--
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
55 is a tough size to sell. Used aquarium equipment, even if basically new, usually goes for a pretty low value. Bump the price down a bit and see what it does.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Frustrating as it may be, the market is what it is. Your problem may be geographic. Not enough people within a reasonable distance are actively seeking a used tank right now. Note I said used. If itís not from a store brand new, to me, itís used. Whether you ever filled it or not, the buyer can not be certain of age or how the empty tank was treated. Thatís just the reality of it.

Too often when people sell their aquarium gear, they get hung up on what they paid new for it. This hobby has absolutely atrocious resale value on all but the highest end stuff. FWIW when I HAD to get rid of my old 55 gallon setup that was 2 years old, I sold the tank and stand for $20, and it took. While to find someone that even wanted it.

A couple years ago I sold a rimless acrylic 75 gallon with a hardwood beautiful furniture grade cabinet (custom made, cost $500 at the time) for $100 total. And I had it listed on every sale platform imaginable for well over a year and the price had to keep coming down and down and down. It was painful to let it go for so cheap. Such is life. Kessil and eco tech gear seem to hold their value well. But a standard tank just wonít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your tank is definitely used at this point even though you never put water in it. Pricing it against new tanks and offering a slight discount is going to be a tough sell. Anyone buying your tank has no idea what it has been through. For instance, you are planning to put it through a winter which I can not imagine would be a good idea. I have absolutely zero evidence to back this up, but my gut tells me putting silicone through multiple freezing and thawing cycles has to shorten its life span.

Couple this with petco dollar per gallon sales selling 55 gallons for 70 dollars and its even worse. I don't know what you paid for everything but, I would never buy a used tank for more then a dollar per gallon and 50 cents is my target range. Stands are nice to have but are easy to find or build. Lights are fantastic....if they are actually any good. If its a cheapo light I would need to replace anyway then its a deterrent to see it listed with a tank because chances are the seller wants some money for the light that I would never use.

Bottom line is your buyer is a very specific person who basically wants exactly what you are selling, nothing else, and doesn't know about the potential risks they are facing when buying used. That's rough. If it were me, I would either hold onto it forever/till I needed it. Or sell it for significantly cheaper to get it gone.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Frustrating as it may be, the market is what it is. Your problem may be geographic. Not enough people within a reasonable distance are actively seeking a used tank right now. Note I said used. If itís not from a store brand new, to me, itís used. Whether you ever filled it or not, the buyer can not be certain of age or how the empty tank was treated. Thatís just the reality of it.

Too often when people sell their aquarium gear, they get hung up on what they paid new for it. This hobby has absolutely atrocious resale value on all but the highest end stuff. FWIW when I HAD to get rid of my old 55 gallon setup that was 2 years old, I sold the tank and stand for $20, and it took. While to find someone that even wanted it.

A couple years ago I sold a rimless acrylic 75 gallon with a hardwood beautiful furniture grade cabinet (custom made, cost $500 at the time) for $100 total. And I had it listed on every sale platform imaginable for well over a year and the price had to keep coming down and down and down. It was painful to let it go for so cheap. Such is life. Kessil and eco tech gear seem to hold their value well. But a standard tank just wonít.

That's very unfortunate. Here in Toronto, the used tank market is actually very active

Unfortunately, people don't seem to like custom stands. They just want the typical all-black Petsmart stands

--UN--
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I find that many tanks on Craig's List are just asking for too much. I wouldn't pay more than $1 per gallon on any used tank and most stands (from ensembles) are only worth $25 - $35.
(included lights and filter(s) don't count for much).
Most people try to get back what they payed, but it just doesn't work that way. (especially when pet stores annually have $1 per gallon sales on new tanks).
Now large used tanks (55+) are worth more but the market is smaller. Many/most folks looking to step in to the hobby with a used tank/setup are looking for a bargain because they just can't afford an all new setup.
(A while back, at a club sponsored public fish auction, a used 55g tank went for $10!)

Sadly, if you want to sell your tank, you'll likely need to lower the price. Knock off say $25 and wait to see what happens. If is doesn't sell, knock off another $25 and wait. (Indicate that the listed price is firm - no low ballers!) $150 is better than zero!
Oughtsix likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Your tank is definitely used at this point even though you never put water in it. Pricing it against new tanks and offering a slight discount is going to be a tough sell. Anyone buying your tank has no idea what it has been through. For instance, you are planning to put it through a winter which I can not imagine would be a good idea. I have absolutely zero evidence to back this up, but my gut tells me putting silicone through multiple freezing and thawing cycles has to shorten its life

Donít tell me that. Iíve got a rimless eurobraced 150 gallon Iíve had in my garage for 18 months Iíve been wanting to set up. Youíve got me worried

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've bought and sold a fair amount on CL and it's really hit or miss. At the first sign of weirdness I'm quick to say "Sorry it's been sold, thanks though!". If a transaction starts out weird, it'll likely not get better. As far as price, I shoot for half of retail usually. It can make selling hard when stuff like this is out there. Also fwiw, we're coming out of summer so things should go better hopefully. IME the best times to sell are: Right now, kids are back in school, Vacation time is over, more time is spent indoors. December, folks are in the spending mood and may buy it as a gift or themselves. Or April, tax return season, when folks are more likely to have disposable income for hobby stuff. Summer time is a buyer's market
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I also do a lot of CL/FB buying/selling. Honestly, I try to sell at 50% of retail. I go lower when items are bundled. Cash in hand is better than a tank taking up space.
As far as buying, I'm looking on CL/FB for a deal, everyone is. I'm never gonna buy anything close to retail price... You may have to call this one a loss. Sorry mate!
Oughtsix likes this.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know. I've had a 37 gallon half hex with metal stand for awhile that I can't even give away.

Don't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. - Angelique Kerber
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
Cash in hand is better than a tank taking up space.
So true. It's also a good opportunity to purge the things you'll probably never use. Old air pumps, heaters, plastic dťcor, chemicals/food near expiration, etc. Throw all that stuff in for free to sweeten the offer. It may push a potential buyer over the tipping point and remove clutter at the same time. win win

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode