options for a fish safe water container over 50 gallons - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 3 Post By Triport
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 2 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
options for a fish safe water container over 50 gallons

I am setting up a 180 gallon aquarium and I am looking for a large water container that I can use to prepare water and wheel over near fish tank for water changing purposes.

I purchased a 50 gallon black rubbermaid garbage can on wheels which I thought would be perfect for this
50 Gal Roughneck Wheeled Trash Can | Rubbermaid

unfortunately I later learned that some plastics can leach harmful substances into the water and now I am unsure if this can is suitable for use for my purposes.

another Idea I have is to simply buy a cheaper (doesn't have to be ultra clear rimless etc) 50 gallon fish tank and put it on dolly wheels, but that would be considerably more expensive than buying a plastic container.

what have you guys and gals done in your setups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
I use large Rubbermaid Brute trash cans. They're super-sturdy and often used for food storage.
AbbeysDad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

White polyethylene water storage containers for RVs work great and are readily available and come in lots of different shapes and sizes. Here's mine. I added a pump, but in the past I've just cut a hole; if you do this though I would put a 2x4 frame around the bulge you'll see when its full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180216_121308_1569172826238.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	887297  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use Brute trash cans on wheels for this. They are labeled "food safe" so I figured they would be OK and I have been using them for 2+ years without any issues. My only word of advice is that you may be happier with a few smaller containers than one large container. Originally I was using two 32 gallon trash cans for my tanks (the aquariums were all 46 gallons or less). When I moved I bought a 100 gallon tank and I have a new RO system with storage tanks so I figured I should get some bigger trash cans so I got a pair of 55 gallon trash cans on wheels to add to my collection. The problem is that they are so big and heavy when full they are kind of a pain to use. They were also super expensive. I think $150 each for can, wheels, lid. In retrospect I wish I had just gone with 2 more 32 gallon cans. Then I would still have about 100 gallons of water but easier to handle.
deeda, AbbeysDad and makeme like this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

You really need to rethink this wheeling water over to tank thing, just get a pump that’s large enough to pump from container all way to tank.

Even a 25% water change in that size tank is going to be 370lbs to wheel around. That type of weight rolling across most floors will ruin most floors finish in about a year unless you have concrete floors, but have also seen it make concrete floors chip out from constantly rolling that much weight across them 52weeks a year.

PS: the wheels on that can you linked above were never designed to handle weight of 45gal of water, and will completely collapse under that much weight. That was design for your kitchen dry waste or leaves from your yard.
Greggz likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Even a food grade like this is only rated at 350lbs, so 45gal of water is actually 19lbs over its weight limit.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here's what I use......Eagle 1656 Drum with Poly Lever Lock Ring, 55 gal Capacity.

Love them.

Like @DaveKS said, get a pump. I can't imagine trying to move mine when full.

minorhero and DaveKS like this.

---
---
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

55 gal plastic food grade barrel with locking lid in basement with pump strong enough to reach the sump under the tank. I have an automated water change system that sends 10gal to the drain each day and refills with remineralized rodi + pps pro dose for that 10 gals to bring it up to tank specs. :-). You can find used ones in several places for $20-30. Have to be VERY careful of the source. They MUST have been used only as food grade. And then it should be something like pickles and nothing like vegetable oil because you donít want to clean them with detergent. They come in all sizes from 10-80 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
What diverjoe said! Check your local craigslist, they usually have sources on there.

RAOK Club #55
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the input. yes I heard people do the brute cans but since my basement (where the fishtank and RO system is) is finished with carpet, I'm a little skeptical about the wheels. the Eagle drum is a good idea, but I checked amazon and it almost cost the same as a glass aquarium of the same size. I just bought a 75 gallon tank yesterday and I will use it as a mixing container.
the only issue is that the display tank is going to be a solid 50 feet from the "water making station".

I think pumping the water may be my only viable option but it is not without its drawbacks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

Can your tank stand be modified to support a transfer tank under the main tank?
A cheap 55 gal is long and narrow, and should fit. May need to add additional support bracing to support the lower tank, but this is the method I've always used for a large undertank marine refugium or a discus water prep tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Even a food grade like this is only rated at 350lbs, so 45gal of water is actually 19lbs over its weight limit.
You just don't fill it to the brim.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode