Tank rescape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank rescape

I've been going back and forth on how to rescape my 40 breeder. Currently it just has sand substrate with anubias and java fern tied to driftwood and some crypts through out the tank. It was a low light system but I want to plant it more densly now and go for a nature style aquascape, but still no CO2. Originally I was going to go the aquasoil route, but have now realized that with the current stand i'm using I worry that weight may be an issue since I will need to use more aquasoil and some seiryu stone for the scape. I can't change the stand so that's out. Now I am wondering if I will still be able to achieve the scape I envisioned but minus the aquasoil and instead simply use the sand and root tabs. Note that the sand is a largely grain size than PFS. Any thoughts of if I can pull this off with the root tabs and liquid ferts or will I run into deficiency issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 AM
Planted Member

It all depends on your plant selection
Generally i think the vast majority of plants in the hobby can be grown fine in inert substrate with water column dosing and/or root tabs
Most of the fancy nature scapes you see use CO2 so keep that is mind, it may be best to google "naturescape no co2" or similar and look at some peoples tanks to get an idea of what is possible, keeping note of plant species and light/fertilizing regime etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
You can pull off what you want with sand. Like @Remmy said, root tabs and ferts are easy to manage. Though, sand is probably a lot heavier than just straight Aqua Soil.

What kind of critters do you keep in the tank or plan to keep?

It'll make it easier for people to offer suggestions and ideas if you can share a full tank photo.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Current stock

16 cardinal tetra
8 sterbai corys
1 syn lucipinis (rescued from a friend)
3 apistos (mcmasteri, rio mamore, kendidi)
1 super BN pleco
2 male congos (last of my original school not sure if I will get rid of them or increase school size)
3 variatus platys (rescued from same frined as the lucipinnis)

Plants that I plan on using
Jungle val
Ludwigia repens
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle tripartita
various crypts
Jave fern anubias
moss
Equipment
Sunsun hw 303b canister filter
Marineland penguin 200 HOB filter
Finnex 24/7 planted+ HLC LED light

I will get a shot of the tank when I get home. Currently the tank has about a flat 2.5-3in layers of blasting sand as the substrate with root tabs under the existing vals. The plan I had was to do a triangular layout with aqusoil in the back for the root feeders with an open sand substrate in the front. I knew I was going to want to slope up the aquasoil area and that's why I was concerned with the weight issue, not realizing i'd be taking away some water volume and simply replacing it with the less dense aquasoil.

The general idea of the scape look, but not exactly to the same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquascape.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	887305  

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

2.5-3.5” blast is a little on thick side to begin with. You could probably lower that by 1” + all way around and replace back corner with a build up if bag lava rock on bottom and aqua soil on top and your tank would be even lighter than it currently is.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungbohts View Post
I've been going back and forth on how to rescape my 40 breeder. Currently it just has sand substrate with anubias and java fern tied to driftwood and some crypts through out the tank. It was a low light system but I want to plant it more densly now and go for a nature style aquascape, but still no CO2. Originally I was going to go the aquasoil route, but have now realized that with the current stand i'm using I worry that weight may be an issue since I will need to use more aquasoil and some seiryu stone for the scape. I can't change the stand so that's out. Now I am wondering if I will still be able to achieve the scape I envisioned but minus the aquasoil and instead simply use the sand and root tabs. Note that the sand is a largely grain size than PFS. Any thoughts of if I can pull this off with the root tabs and liquid ferts or will I run into deficiency issues?

You could easily strengthen the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by duzzy73 View Post
You could easily strengthen the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would love to hear how? It's one of those shelving kits you get from home depot
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

A 40 gallon breeder filled weighs a bit more then 450 pounds. How much stone do you plan on putting in there that you think it will be the hair that breaks the camels back? Seriously unless your stand is about to collapse right now you are almost certainly fine. And if its going to collapse right now, then you should stop using it anyway.

You can definitely put down aquasoil if that is what you want to do. You can even cap it with sand and that will work fine as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode