1Likes
  • 1 Post By burr740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potassium Chloride (KCl)

Hello experts,

Can Chlorine in Potassium Chloride has bad effect in aquarium?
I am using these chemical powder for my planted aquarium since I need K as macro nutrient.
This extraction in the chemical compound gives me the cheapest way to have Potassium compared to the one the we have in the market.
I am dosing 20mg/li per week.

Thanks for the answer/s peeps.

Berta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Its fine, doesnt really add much chloride relative to K, about 1:3, and it dissolves a heck of a lot easier than K2SO4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, it seems that it dissolves much better. I am using these calculation found in youtube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	887055  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Planted Tanker

This calculator is a lot easier - Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

More fields will appear as you fill in the boxes. Down at the bottom beside "Calculating For" change that from "estimative index" to "dose to reach a target". Then enter whatever ppm you want each dose to have

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Blurr,

This is would be very great help to me... just placing all the variables to have a desired ppm.
I can try to usee this in Magnesium Sulfate..

Cheers,
Berta
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Also, keep in mind that you are not dosing chlorine in the way that chlorine gas is added to tap water as a sterilizer. The "CL" in KCL is chloride, which is not dangerous to fish. In fact, plants do need a small amount of chloride.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hallo @Deanna
Just want to be sure... 3,432grams is the same as 3.432kg, right? But the equivalent in the amount of tablespoon is confusing.. i took a picture of sample calculation..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190929-073633_Chrome_1569735589399.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	887527  

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
Hallo @Deanna
Just want to be sure... 3,432grams is the same as 3.432kg, right? But the equivalent in the amount of tablespoon is confusing.. i took a picture of sample calculation..
Yes, that is 3.432 kg. The problem is that you are trying to dose too small a quantity (10 ml) for your sized tank (600 L) to reach 20 ppm per dose. It is important to note the “WARNING” in the RotalaButterfly results in your picture. That is saying that you are trying to put way too much of the compound into such a small container (1500 ml) and that it won’t dissolve in that container.

The amount in teaspoons is an error (problem with RotalaButterfly), but I think that it just truncates tbs/tsp numbers when they become inapplicable. You will need to play around with the “DOSE SIZE” section of the calculator. When you do that, you will find that an 84 ml dose size is the lowest dose you can do in order to dissolve the KCl in solution (the “WARNING” statement then disappears). You will also see that the tbs/tsp numbers are then correctly identified.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hallo @Deanna
Ok, got it. Sorry that I replied very late because of some urgent matters.
I am fine now with KCl.
But i am now trying to get a Magnesium from MagnesiumSulfate (MgSo4) to give me aquarium plants. In Rotalla Calculator, there are 2 types of Magnesium Sulfate : MgSo4.H20 and MgSo4.7H20.
Which compound do I need to use?

Thanks, Berta
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Hallo @Deanna
Ok, got it. Sorry that I replied very late because of some urgent matters.
I am fine now with KCl.
But i am now trying to get a Magnesium from MagnesiumSulfate (MgSo4) to give me aquarium plants. In Rotalla Calculator, there are 2 types of Magnesium Sulfate : MgSo4.H20 and MgSo4.7H20.
Which compound do I need to use?

Thanks, Berta

You'll almost certainly be using MgSo4.7H20 (which is the same thing as Epsom salt, you can buy that anywhere cheap) because the other one is more lab grade with less water molecules and wont be available unless you go looking for it specifically. Probably a lot more expensive too.

But either way it doesnt matter which one you use. Just make sure to calculate for the one you have
Deanna likes this.

Last edited by burr740; 10-08-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: ,
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As always, you are "angel sent to me", @Deanna
Keep helping...

Thanks a lot..
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
As always, you are "angel sent to me", @Deanna
Keep helping...

Thanks a lot..
Actually, in this case, the angel was Seraph @burr740.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In these case, angels live amongst us.

@Deanna, just to add info, I got an extra tool for us
https://www.flowgrow.de

I sent a picture showing how much Mg should be added in 600 liters in drydosing using Rotalla and placed it in Dosierberchnung calculation. I increase Mg by 20mg/l (which is correct) but I am just concern about the sulfate that has been added into my tank (78.99mg/l). Is this is safe in Discus aquarium?

In picture 2, it shows how it increases the Hardness of water (+4.6 dGh)

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	887893  

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	887895  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
In these case, angels live amongst us.

@Deanna, just to add info, I got an extra tool for us
https://www.flowgrow.de

I sent a picture showing how much Mg should be added in 600 liters in drydosing using Rotalla and placed it in Dosierberchnung calculation. I increase Mg by 20mg/l (which is correct) but I am just concern about the sulfate that has been added into my tank (78.99mg/l). Is this is safe in Discus aquarium?

In picture 2, it shows how it increases the Hardness of water (+4.6 dGh)

Thanks again
I can’t comment on that website as it is in German (which, I can’t read).

Water hardness (as defined in NA) is based upon magnesium and calcium and measured by GH. I believe that, in Europe, and perhaps elsewhere, the term “hardness” also involves alkalinity, as measured by KH. So, on this forum, when we speak of “hardness”, we are referring to GH. Just want to clarify that before going further.

Based upon your image, you are adding too much Mg at 20 mg/l for my tastes. We generally recommend Mg levels in tandem with Ca and like to see a Ca:Mg ratio of 4:1 or 3:1 (I prefer 3:1). So, if you add 20 mg/l Mg and target a 3:1 Ca:Mg level, you would need to add 60 mg/l Ca. Using RotalaButterfly, if you then add the dGH shown for each (4.62 dGH of Mg and 11.21 dGH of Ca), you will have a total dGH of 15.83 and that would be considered to be very hard water. I believe that most of us would prefer half of that. I target about 3 dGH in my tank, which is considered soft water. Whatever you do add, make sure that it is designed as a function of what you want your tank water readings to end up being.

There are other interactions between nutrients and high levels of Ca and Mg can be involved. For example, we also like to see K be higher than Ca, in addition to Ca being higher than Mg. I suggest that you would gain a better understanding for balancing all of your nutrients by studying both the PPS and EI approaches to nutrients, then choosing one of these approaches to follow. You can find this information by searching this forum.

Addressing your concern about sulfate, it is usually quite a bit higher than Mg because it is also added by other salts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode