Both my lights just died on me. New lights won't be here for 3 days. How should I handle the tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Both my lights just died on me. New lights won't be here for 3 days. How should I handle the tank?

I had both Kessil Tuna Suns die on me within 20 minutes of each other. Lucky me! Replacements should arrive in about 3 days. I'm assuming no lights for 3 days means I should kill the CO2 as well, right? Anything else I should keep in mind during my impromptu black out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Finding out why your expensive lights died would be top of my priority list. Was your house hit by lightning? Because those are LED lights and are rated at 50,000 hours of use. If you are keeping your tank lit for 8 hours a day then they should last more then 17 years. Are they plugged into a surge protector? If they are check the protector and consider replacing it. If they are not plugged in then go buy a good one for the replacements.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would think the power supplyís would be the cause. Any local hobbyist around with Kessilís ?
I would turn off the Co2 since the lights will not be working.
If you have a voltage meter you could check the power bricks to see if they are putting out voltage.
If water get some where it shouldnít ?
N7QL likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:32 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Finding out why your expensive lights died would be top of my priority list. Was your house hit by lightning? Because those are LED lights and are rated at 50,000 hours of use. If you are keeping your tank lit for 8 hours a day then they should last more then 17 years. Are they plugged into a surge protector? If they are check the protector and consider replacing it. If they are not plugged in then go buy a good one for the replacements.

A diode substrate is rated that long if it it kept at the correct temperature. That is where the 50k hour rating comes from. They all hype that stat. Itís koolaid. Power supplies, fans, controllers....basically everything else that makes the light work wonít last anywhere close to that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ken Keating1 and N7QL like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I've had some fixtures where components have died within a year. Have others of the same brand & model that have been going strong for 10-11 years of near-constant use.

Nothing is set in stone. Depends upon all kinds of factors - like nearly everything else in this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
A diode substrate is rated that long if it it kept at the correct temperature. That is where the 50k hour rating comes from. They all hype that stat. Itís koolaid. Power supplies, fans, controllers....basically everything else that makes the light work wonít last anywhere close to that long.
Ken Keating1 and N7QL like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:46 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I've had some fixtures where components have died within a year. Have others of the same brand & model that have been going strong for 10-11 years of near-constant use.

Nothing is set in stone. Depends upon all kinds of factors - like nearly everything else in this hobby.

Right. I was just getting at the fact that certain white and blue diodes have that 50k life rating but that doesnít apply to all components. Itís misleading marketing and most people eat it up

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Right. I was just getting at the fact that certain white and blue diodes have that 50k life rating but that doesnít apply to all components. Itís misleading marketing and most people eat it up

I definitely thought they lasted that long but thinking about it I can see you are right.

Still its odd that two lights would die so close to each other if there was not an external cause. What are the chances that they would just happen to give up the ghost within an hour of each other due to "natural causes" as it were.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

While I appreciate the chat about why the lights may have died, I'm more curious what I should do while I have no lights. Call me crazy, but I believe my thread has been hijacked. lol

For what it's worth, only one light died died. Like, smelled like burning electronics, I hear is "zzzt" sound, and smoke came out of the light. The other light just...stopped.

The power supplies both show a green light on the brick so I assume they're both fine. It would also be strange if both power supplies died at the same time. I suspect something is up with my Spectral Controller. I had it do all the nice ramp up from soft blue light to intense red light, to simulate dusk, dawn, etc. But when I get the replacements, I'll just be plugging them directly into a timed outlet instead. Also, I doubt it's an actual power problem since every bit of my tank is all on the same breaker and nothing else seems to be malfunctioning.

All that said, my original question is still yet to be answered. I'm 3 days without my nice lights. Besides turning off CO2, is there anything else I should do? I use EI dosing. Today should be the micros, tomorrow should be the water change, and on Monday I should get my new lights. Should I dose micros like normal? What if my lights don't make it until Tuesday, should I still dose my Monday Macros like normal?

Edit: Also wanted to mention, another potential culprit could have been bad RCA cables that I was using to link them. They're cheap-ish cables but they all looked fine. No frays, no exposed wire. It's also kind of ironic that I dropped like $600 on lights but I couldn't justify spending $20 per cable for Kessil's RCA cable. But perhaps I should have.

Edit2: For what it's worth, I've had these lights for about 3 years but I haven't actually used them until about 4 or 5 months ago. It was a slow process buying everything for this tank and the lights were, oddly enough, one of the first purchases along this journey. So they're just about out of warranty even though I've only been using them for a few months.

Word of advice: Don't buy stuff until you'll start using it. No reason to let that warranty tick down before you even plug the stuff in.

Last edited by TrevHolland; 08-24-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: more info
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:14 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

I wouldnít call it a Hijack. It was relevant discussion to a comment. At any rate. Iíd turn co2 off and cease dosing for the time being. I canít imagine any plants would start melting for at least a week.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

You are doing a blackout just like you would if you were treating algae. Turn off co2 and do nothing (assuming water parameters are fine) until lights back on, then resume normal treatment. 3 days is not super long.

That the magic smoke got out after only a few months of use would be very concerning to me. That both died would imply a surge of some kind to me but electronics is not my forte. If it was plugged into a controller you might want to check the warranty of the controller. Normal surge protectors have pretty good warranty for products plugged into them. No idea if something similar is available for an aquarium controller.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A little late for thinking but I would go for a cheap DIY solution for temp lighting while I get the permanent. Something as simple as a throw away lamp and several 6500K bulbs to lean over the tank, perhaps? Not the same lighting but it can get close enough to avoid a huge problem. Surplus/salvage stores like Goodwill often have lamps for cheap or if there is a neighborhood online group, they can often be found for cheap. This is turnover time in college dorms so lots of things are thrown out.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
You are doing a blackout just like you would if you were treating algae. Turn off co2 and do nothing (assuming water parameters are fine) until lights back on, then resume normal treatment. 3 days is not super long.
Exactly, just like having 3 cloudy days in the real world. If there are fish in there still feed them sparingly.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:10 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

I know it sounds excessive. And while I think your plants are fine, I like having backups of just about everything conceivable.

Backup regulator
Backup powerheads
Backup lights
Backup return pumps ect

Itís always a good idea to buy quality, but even then having backups is a good idea. A simple 2 bulb t5 strip is super super cheap. Sun blaster single bulb units can be had for a nominal fee and can sit in a closet when not in use. Or a viper spectra black box or two. Being able to keep the tank going without interruption is super important to me

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I said in my reply turn off Co2
Three days is not a problem. Many people turn off lights and Co2 while on vacation.

I have had kessilís since they came out.
Will be talking to kessil next weekend in fact. original A150ís still working away.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:07 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
I said in my reply turn off Co2
Three days is not a problem. Many people turn off lights and Co2 while on vacation.

I have had kessilís since they came out.
Will be talking to kessil next weekend in fact. original A150ís still working away.

They do make some pretty shimmer

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode