2Likes
  • 1 Post By sittinglynx
  • 1 Post By Jabolko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving 14gal to another location

In few months i am moving to different location so i will move my 14gal. Its just 14g so no big deal but...

I want to change tank glass (cause is around 8 years old) and sand. So my plan was:
- Buy new 14gal and test for leaks
- Move half or all?? old water to new tank
- Attach old external filter to new tank, add new substrate and sand and add start bacteria??
- Move fish to new tank

Would be this OK or would be too risky (losing good bacterias in sand ...) ? I have around 15 fish and Eheim ecco pro 130 canister. Tank is running for 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

So, I've never tried to move a planted tank, so I can't answer all your questions, but I have moved a 55 gallon tank from Northern VA to Baltimore & I can share some of what I learned and what I might have tried to do different. My 1st thought is "will the water be different from one place to another?

If the answer is no (local move) then drain the tank down to 1/2, move it and continue with your plans. You might want to add some bacteria boost during when you switch to your new set up. I would use stress coat during the move.

If the answer is yes, the tap IS different in your new home, save the 50% that you drain and dilute your new tap with you old (and dechlorinate the new water of course). If you already have the new tank & an old filter, you may want to bottle up some of your old tap and fill the old tank up with tap from your old home and continue to mix the new tap with the old tap in your back up tank during cleanings. The goal is obviously slow change during a stressful period.

That my ideas as far as the fish are concerned. Of course the more care the species of fish you keep need, the risk increases. I once traded in 3 Angels that I kept for 3 years because the move that I had to do (Indiana to Virginia) wasn't worth the try. My thought were to take the chance that some else local would (hopefully) love them enough to take care of them in the same town I bought them in, rather than put them through basically 2 days without filtration or heat.

I hope this give you food for thought as far as the fish go. I'm sure someone more experienced can give thoughts as far as your plants. I wish you luck
Jabolko likes this.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinglynx View Post
... My 1st thought is "will the water be different from one place to another
Thanks for your help, i forgot that new water parameters could be different I Just checked on water supplier website and parameters are near the same, so i think it would be fine.

Old:
GH: 14
PH: 7.3
NO3: 12 mg/l
NO2: 0.0005 mg/l

New:
GH: 15
PH: 7.2
NO3: 15 mg/l
NO2: 0.0005 mg/l

At next water change will use 50% new water and i think it would be fine.
sittinglynx likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode