• 1 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By Boffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 Set - Plastic Bottle vs Tank

Hi i need a cheap way to get co2, does anyone have any experience with diy co2 kits, and which one i should get to my 450 liters aquascape with fish, i have not build it yet, but will the coming week, hopfully it will look like this when im done : https://ibb.co/rsbJ223

I have look at, to kinds of diy co2 kits on ebay, the one where you use 2 bottles: https://ibb.co/RQ2t2Zx,
And this one with a tank: https://ibb.co/DC94PWt

Which one is the best, and is there another cheap way which is better?

And how many bubbles would i need, because the big 2l dobble diy co2 kit can put out 4 bubbles a sec, fore 20 days, is that enough for my tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You'd be better off spending the money on Excel / Glute and focusing on choosing plants that can thrive without injected CO2.

DIY systems are tough, especially on larger tanks, and will likely result in inconstant levels of CO2 which to many is considered worse off than no-CO2.

For reference, my 25 gallon tank (less than 100 liters) was running over 4bps.
Deanna likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Then i would have to have, 5 off them running fore my 450 liters :O thats crazy.

I dont want to use liquid carbon, becures its toxic to humans, and I'm a human, so maby i just buy a 180 liters

Last edited by Boffer; 08-21-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: More questions

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffer View Post

I dont want to use liquid carbon, becures its toxic to humans, and I'm a human, so maby i just buy a 180 liters
I'm human and still alive, I think

It's not so much a carbon source, it breaks down protein films on plant leaves and allows them better access to CO2 that's in the water naturally.... plus being a mild algaecide allowing for slighter more light to be used on a non-CO2 tank.

You can certainly try running several bottles, but it might be a hassle.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm whit just have no plants, like this guy are having
And then try to glue some moss on the rocks, i know they not going to grow that fast, its okay whit me.
But if i chooses to have no co2, will i then get algae because of that?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffer View Post
But if i chooses to have no co2, will i then get algae because of that?
No, there are tons of plants that will grow fantastic with no CO2 and you wont have algae issues.

Keep lighting rather low, and run them 6-8 hours per day.
Keep low light plants such as Cryptocoryne, Swords, Vallisneria, Sagittari, Java Ferns, Anubias, Buce, Bolbitus, most mosses, hygrophila corymbosa 'compact'

Add some all-purpose fertilizer with a low-tech dosing regime, keep the tank clean with regular cleanings and water changes and keep away from direct sunlight.
Frank158 likes this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the answer, it really means a lot, good to know that i can control the algae.
I think i will go whit that you said, Found Christmas moss, it has a low co2 demand, and i think it looks pretty.
I will make a update how it goes whit my tank, upload some picture and such good stuff. =)
Quagulator likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay I decided to go fore dwarf puffer fish, because they're so sweet, I think that would love my aquascape, Dwarf puffer Paradise.
I will put maby 10 dwarf puffer fish, and want to make it look like this whit stone wood, and moss and som plants, and make some caves, like this guy have done:

And build some rocks like this : https://ibb.co/2qGdXkk and https://ibb.co/yRvrKsv

I will buy this filter unimax 700, it can hold 11 kg bio mass, and have 1700 liters flow per hours, not to much flow just like the puffer fish like it, i will fill it up whit biohome, It will take the animoark, nitrit, and nitrat down, so I don’t have to water changes that often.

I have ordret 80 kg stone, and will start glue the stone together when thy will come, and then form the structure, and then next week i will get the 450 L aquarium, i will post som picture on the way.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got the stone!!!! https://ibb.co/3ztRhnx
hmmm i think i have enough, now its time to build
I will try to glue the rocks together whit superglue and tissue, like this guy is doing, bring me good luck :
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay finally got the stones glue together, and made some tress also.
I will get my 350 L akvarium tomorrow, and then i will ordre the plants, and have decided that I don't want puffer fish in that one, but instead some Dwarf Gourami and Guppys, and a clean up crew like snails and Amano shrimp, and maby 2 Discus, but i dont know if they can live together, do anyone of you know?
I will then if everything goes right, buy i second one 200 L Aquarium, in 2 month, and put dwarf puffer fish in it, i know this 200 L will bee a challenge, because i cant have too much flow in the waters, and cant have a clean up crew, so might get some algaeīs

Tags
co2, diy co2 set, plastic bottle vs tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode