2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By dspin02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ikea Kitchen Cart for a stand

Hello, I have a 14 inch cube that holds 11.4 gallons of water. With water, substrate, and rocks added I imiagine it will weigh around 150 lbs. Do you think the Bekvam cart linked below would be able to hold this weight over time? It is made of solid birch. Or has anyone used it as a stand?

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/bekvaem...irch-30240348/

We just moved into a new house and I ordered my plants yesterday so need to get ready to receive them. The table I was planning on using we aren't going to keep long term and I have this cart that we aren't going to use (was in our old kitchen). Planning on painting/sealing it today.

Will start a journal in the next week - will take photos throughout the setup.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

My concern is that it has wheels. This will cause it to wobble a bit more then I would like if anyone bumped into it.
sittinglynx likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
The link says the cart has a weight limit of 20lbs per tier/shelf.

I wouldn't keep more than 40-50lbs on the top of the cart long-term. If it were solid wood and had no wheels, it may be able to handle a bit more.

It could likely handle a 10"/25cm cube if it's locked, stationary and not something that gets bumped into regularly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you both - I had similar concerns and have decided to head to the depot later today and pick up an adjustable height workbench to use as a desk and stand for this tank which will be in my home office.

it's rated to hold 3,000 lbs so I should be good to go. Will start a journal soon.

thanks again!
irishspy likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

@minorhero "My concern is that it has wheels. This will cause it to wobble a bit more then I would like if anyone bumped into it."

I 2nd this. Birch is OK wood to use. However, the two legs with wheels will have a bit more pressure from the weight on them than the longer front legs. At the very least, I would replace the back leg wheels with locking casters that should stabilize the table much better. You can always screw in blocks under the corners for extra joint support if you are worried. A 10 gallon tank with only 50% of the water can be moved easy enough if you felt the stand needed attention as far as support.

Bump: and of course after I post this, I see your last post, LOL!

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau

Last edited by sittinglynx; 08-23-2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: read last post

Tags
ikea strand, stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode