Felix Smart? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Felix Smart?

Anyone invest in this Kickstarter? Is it moving along? Looking promising? I really want to get one or more of these but I remember one that was launched on there and never came to fruition so I don’t want to throw my money away either. Link below in case anyone doesn’t know what I’m talking about.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...-for-aquariums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might have noticed, I'm not all "there" myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:38 AM
Banned

Holy crud!! $60,000? HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just buy one of those wireless 2 way audio cameras you connect to your phone.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Holy crud!! $60,000? HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just buy one of those wireless 2 way audio cameras you connect to your phone.
Figure it out

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:02 AM
Banned

I could get the latest and greatest Neptune controller system for 100th of the price. And then less than 50 for the camera. That product is overpriced.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Figure it out
So am I right? No go?

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I could get the latest and greatest Neptune controller system for 100th of the price. And then less than 50 for the camera. That product is overpriced.

Bump:
So am I right? No go?
Total project funding and per unit cost are 2 different things. It’s a crowdsource funding project to get business startup capital.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:58 AM
Algae Grower

@aquanerd13 - Familiarise yourself with the crowdfunding website (And crowdfunding in general). I think the price for a unit/kit is around $500
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Their facebook page mentioned a retail launch in September and the page in general still seems active. Will be interesting to see if it lives up to the marketing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I understand now. I didn't read it correctly lol. Yes I would do it then.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Just to add a little info, Felix is still very active. If you are in the NE area or willing to travel, they will have a booth at the Aquatic Experience venue in October. You will be able to ask questions directly and see the equipment in person, in action. They were also in Seattle for the recent AGA convention...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Planted Member

No experience with Felix, but have had experiences with other similar crowdfunding (like Glowforge). I won't participate in them again. The rules are too loose, the delivery timeline too ambiguous, and the product is often not up to par when complete. Every single one I have funded shipped late with fewer features than promised.

An example from the Glowforge kickstarter, which is one of the largest in history:
Kickstarter announced in September with a banner reading "Shipping beginning in December". We all jumped on board. After all, they have a video product demo, a video with Tested, and the delivery date is so close.
December came and went with few updates. They pushed it out to summer of the next year. Summer came and went. They pushed it to winter. Then the next summer. Then the next winter. Finally, the following spring we received shipping confirmation. Keep in mind that over this ~2.5 years, they were holding onto about $30M of people's money at about $2000 a piece. When the unit shipped, the cloud software was still basically unusable. The camera (its killer feature) wouldn't focus, and was off by about 1/2" for most people, which is a huge problem. They still hadn't shipped the "pro" models or even shown real photos of the air filter that was originally advertised. The pro came maybe a year later, and I still don't think that the air filter has shipped nearly 4 years later. They built in physical limitations so that the machine is smaller than originally advertised. They have continued to update the software and the machine works great now, but they strung along thousands of customers for years to get there. What was really frustrating is how people who pre-ordered years ago only received their units a couple of months prior to non-preorders. Some international kickstarter pre-orders received theirs after USA based non-preorders. It was basically interest free funding for a company that already had millions in traditional funding.

Was there a class action lawsuit? Were there SEC violations? Any consumer protections issues? Was there any real consequences for the company? No. Because it is kickstarter, which is not truly a pre-order. Dan, the CEO and founder, directly lied to consumers on numerous occasions. He promised delivery dates without even having contracted with a factory to build the unit. His lies kept the consumers waiting because "another 6 months isn't so bad, and besides, he showed us real proof this time." I admit that my dad and I were two of the ones who waited. The reality was that no other laser cutter had the same functionality at a similar price, so we considered it a worthwhile bet. I love the product now that it has been updated, but it is one of the more unscrupulous companies I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I feel bad for the engineers because they were under impossible deadlines and did a great job under terrible management.

Not to say that Felix is unscrupulous, but that the Kickstarter and indiegogo (look up No Man's Sky for another example) platforms allow for major problems like this. Consider any money you spend a donation to a project you believe in, and be ready to receive nothing in return. Regarding Felix going to shows, Glowforge went to shows and showed off the product years before release, so it is far from a guarantee that the product is ready.

40g High-Tech Planted Nano-Species Community Tank:

2.5g Low-Tech Shrimp Tank:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There is Apex and GHL aquarium controllers that have been out for ages now and do a ton more. GHL has a small unit
ProfiLux mini WiFi
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/pro...profilux-mini/

Dennerle sold the mini in Germany.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in