Gloves or Not? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gloves or Not?

I wanted to see if anyone else uses some form of glove when cleaning the aquarium or dosing ferts/medicines? I recently started dosing ICH-X and accidentally got some on my skin. I already have anxiety so my anxiety levels went pretty high after and per the bottle you should immediately wash the area that was touched for at least 15 minutes. Needless to say I was an idiot, used hand soap and washed my hands. Shortly after my skin was being eaten before my eyes in the area that the chemicals touched my skin..

Anyone else have similar experiences or use gloves to dose/clean tanks? Also, if I have cuts on my hands couldn't they make you susceptible to an infection if you don't wear some sort of hand protection? Call me crazy but wanted to see what others thought or do.

Cody Hale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:35 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Yep, lots of people do.

I typically only wear gloves on the saltwater side of the hobby but sometimes use them on the freshwater side when feeding blood worms or dosing a medication (Maracyn) I'm allergic to.

Absolutely a good idea if you have cuts, scrapes or are generally concerned. Nothing wrong with it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Banned

I use gloves to avoid water contamination. I have rubber long sleeve gloves that go up to my shoulder. Especially use them when handling coral frags. Those polyps will shred you up bad.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Had to think about this for a moment because I dont give much direct conscious thought to my practices in this regard.

For everyday maintenance: I wash hands prior to putting in tank- always. I do not use gloves. In 3 decades of fish-keeping, just put my hands in there and go. No nasty diseases as a result. But, with a cut on hands I would recommend you use gloves- for that remote chance...
Not that I do, but it is a good, sensible practice.

With fertilizers,
: I always wash hands after dosing or handling.
With medications,: I always wash hands after dosing or handling. With dyes such as metheleyne blue, I actually do use gloves. Try getting 100% meth blue on hands- it will make your hands blue for several days. Not a good look. With proprietary blends like Paraguard, I dont use gloves because can just wash off of hands after dosing.
When draining water from a tank that has medications: I do not put hands in tank. I just put siphon hose in to drain. I am sensible enough to know that this is unnecessary, possibly harmful exposure.
deeda and Deanna like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Had to think about this for a moment because I dont give much direct conscious thought to my practices in this regard.

For everyday maintenance: I wash hands prior to putting in tank- always. I do not use gloves. In 3 decades of fish-keeping, just put my hands in there and go. No nasty diseases as a result. But, with a cut on hands I would recommend you use gloves- for that remote chance...
Not that I do, but it is a good, sensible practice.

With fertilizers,
: I always wash hands after dosing or handling.
With medications,: I always wash hands after dosing or handling. With dyes such as metheleyne blue, I actually do use gloves. Try getting 100% meth blue on hands- it will make your hands blue for several days. Not a good look. With proprietary blends like Paraguard, I dont use gloves because can just wash off of hands after dosing.
When draining water from a tank that has medications: I do not put hands in tank. I just put siphon hose in to drain. I am sensible enough to know that this is unnecessary, possibly harmful exposure.
So do you think that getting some medications on you in a small quantity is pretty harmful to the fish or persons or both? What about during a water change/during medication doses a plant comes up and you have to re-plant it (using tweezers or with hands for stems) and the medication is already in the aquarium. Should you empty more water or run the filter with some carbon in the tank to remove medicines before re-planting/putting your hand in the tank w/o gloves?

Cody Hale
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Banned

No. That is not necessary. If you are wearing gloves just plant the plant.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

I wear gloves for about a month after introducing new fish (look up "fish TB", which is rare) and, after that, only if I have a cut and need to go into the tank. I haven't had to medicate my display tank in over ten years, so can't comment directly on that (don't recall any incidences), but I would suspect that it could be problematic for some with sensitivities. I do wash my hands and arms before and after each tank event.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have tried gloves , but don't like to use them . I can't feel with them on . I am more concerned with what I might introduce into a tank than what the tank may do to me . I rinse my hands for a while before putting them in the tank . Maybe I am lucky I haven't caught anything from tanks , but I grew up swimming in rivers and lakes so I figure an established tank is no less clean than that . Maybe I am foolish , I don't know . I have used latex exam type gloves which are better but I had to put a rubber band around the wrist to keep water out....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSiNGTiD3 View Post
So do you think that getting some medications on you in a small quantity is pretty harmful to the fish or persons or both? What about during a water change/during medication doses a plant comes up and you have to re-plant it (using tweezers or with hands for stems) and the medication is already in the aquarium. Should you empty more water or run the filter with some carbon in the tank to remove medicines before re-planting/putting your hand in the tank w/o gloves?
To me, prolonged exposure on skin of meds, fertilizers, dyes, etc... should be avoided. Measuring and providing doses of medication and, then, immediately following washing hands with soap and water is fine- for me.
But, that is my procedure, if concerned, use gloves while measuring and dosing meds/fertilizers. This may give you peace of mind.

While treating with meds I do not put hands in water at all for any reason.

With diluted fertilizers in tank water, I dont have any concern. For your peace of mind, however, can use long gloves in similar situations.

After treating I do 75% water change before putting my hands in. You may want to do the large water change and use carbon. I dont.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

As a germaphobe, I should. I do worry about getting a crazy infection from my aquariums, but apparently not enough to overcome my aversion to wearing gloves. I do wash my hands very well after.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

I can't be bothered with gloves but if I do have any deep cuts on my hands I don't put them in the water. When I had salt water tanks I had a weird thing where I had an allergic reaction to the salt. Both the water itself if I put my hands or arm in the tank and the evaporated salt on the lid and other equipment would give me hives and make me really itchy. I was OK if I washed right away with soap and water but one time I forgot and just dried off with a towel and my entire arm blew up like I had been stung by something poisonous. It was pretty scary and one of the reasons I no longer have salt water tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode