Recent DPG sale at Petco - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Recent DPG sale at Petco

How often do you guys pick up tanks from the DPG sale from Petco? These sales are awesome. I just wish the tanks were a little bit better quality. About 6 years ago, I had scored a 40B that was perfect and when the tanks were actually dpg for all sizes. I recently picked up another and returned to the 40B size. I have a 55 also that is ready to be setup... but to be honest, I think the 40B will be much better than the 55 to use in the long run.

On a side note... Has anyone had quality concerns about the tanks from the sales? It seems like I always find tanks that are chipped or have some kind of structural issues. The one I found seems to be pretty decent rather than a few imperfections in the seams which I gather by now seems to be normal for Aqueon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I own a pet store and try to buy tanks at the DPG sale when I can. They are way under wholesale at $1 per gallon. I haven't noticed poor quality, but haven't picked any up in a couple of years. Whenever buying a glass aquarium always give it a good going over.
varanidguy likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 08-03-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 40B, 2x 20L, and a 10 gallon aquarium all bought from dollar per gallon sale. All have stood the test of time so far

40B and 10 gallon are from 2018. 20L are from the recent one and all aquariums are set up. No problems with quality so far.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I own a pet store and buy tanks at the DPG sale. They are way under wholesale at $1 per gallon. I haven't noticed poor quality, but haven't picked any up an a couple of years.
That's funny that you have to buy retail to get best price for your retail. i guess Petco is hoping you'll fill the tank with dog or cat food before you check out.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:24 PM
snails are your friend

Here's typical pricing from my wholesalers when not on sale:

And I sell 20 gallon tanks for $38.99. I really should never buy tanks except during this sale but the shop keeps me pretty busy and glass tanks aren't ideal to store long-term.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Personally, quality and appearance-wise, I would rather buy a Marineland tank. Theres a LFS by me that has the 40B ML tank for 82 dollars. But I think for that price not including tax, I would much rather pay 45 dollars which is what I paid after tax.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Here's typical pricing from my wholesalers when not on sale:

And I sell 20 gallon tanks for $38.99. I really should never buy tanks except during this sale but the shop keeps me pretty busy and glass tanks aren't ideal to store long-term.
Not much of a mark up there. You must have a good install business going out of the store as well.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:01 PM
snails are your friend

Unfortunately, any higher and they will never sell. I get some complaints about the price now, but people's idea of aquarium value have been warped by the GPD sale. The glass box is a loss-leader of sorts. Theory used to be that once the customer bought an aquarium, they would need a filter, light, heater, etc. but these days most buy the tank from you then everything else online. My store lives (and may die) on dog and cat food.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I just picked up a 40B and two 20 longs. No chips and all the seems were good.

RAOK Club #55
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Unfortunately, any higher and they will never sell. I get some complaints about the price now, but people's idea of aquarium value have been warped by the GPD sale. The glass box is a loss-leader of sorts. Theory used to be that once the customer bought an aquarium, they would need a filter, light, heater, etc. but these days most buy the tank from you then everything else online. My store lives (and may die) on dog and cat food.
Do you still sell fish? And can you make money doing so? I fear the LFS will soon go the way of the local bookstore....

How many times a year is the DPG sale? This one goes until 8/24, no? Looks like my LFS will have a pair of locally bred "Peruvian Altums" for me soon, so if all goes well I may be needing a grow-out tank sometime in the next few months. Is 75g the largest size they sell? At $95 it's a pretty good deal, even if it's not dpg.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM
snails are your friend

I no longer sell anything alive. The writing was on the wall, store was closing within a year if I kept the fish room open. I'm not sad about it though, I have my hobby back. What stinks is my own store was the only one around that carried any livestock I like!

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

100 dollars is a great price for a 75. Theres only a few of the stores by me that carry them. And even then its only for the sale.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I no longer sell anything alive. The writing was on the wall, store was closing within a year if I kept the fish room open. I'm not sad about it though, I have my hobby back. What stinks is my own store was the only one around that carried any livestock I like!
Yep, I feel for ya. Most LFS around me are all gone. The ones that remain like the big box have alot of their floor space taking up by dog / cat. Big Box only sells fish to get you into the store to buy dog / cat.

Their are a few very vertical fish businesses that are still around, but are getting most of their business from their install client base. The type that don't look at the price as closely but want everything done for them.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:19 PM
snails are your friend

Yeah, the LFS is becoming a rare breed outside of big cities. It's a shame, but there's no money to be made doing it and it's a lot harder work than I would have thought even having worked at many LFS's in my younger years. So many nights I was at my shop after midnight replacing a return pump or fixing a protein skimmer or such. Just the annual replacement of light bulbs was brutal -took me the next 2 months in fish profits just to cover the cost of bulbs -mostly reef related there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
100 dollars is a great price for a 75. Theres only a few of the stores by me that carry them. And even then its only for the sale.

My cost on one on sale is $142, regularly $196. A hundred bucks is a steal!

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having good LFS's to browse was such a big part of the fun of the hobby for so long, and having almost all of the nearby ones close was part of why I drifted away from keeping my tank going. Now I pretty much have to get most of my stuff online; the big box chains are useful for some things and there is one decent freshwater LFS about 30 miles away that I try to patronize if they have what I need. George Farmer has all these videos of fantastic aquascape-oriented shops in Europe and the UK that make me very envious.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode