Dry start method - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry start method

I have a couple questions regarding a future carpeted tank.
1. I am going with Monte Carlo for a carpeting plant. Do you recommend dry start?

2. Should I use all ADA Amazonia, or should I put a small layer of ADA Amazonia powder on top? If so, how much powder would I need for a top layer for a 90P?

3.If I am carpeting the entire tank, how many containers of Monte Carlo tissue culture cups should I buy with the dry start method?

I appreciate all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

A few questions, are you going to be using co2 when the tank is flooded? What size tank is this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
A few questions, are you going to be using co2 when the tank is flooded? What size tank is this?
Yes I will be using CO2. My lighting will be a twinstar 900S.
Tank is 50 gallons
36X18X18

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGK View Post
Tank is 50 gallons
36X18X18
So if you are running CO2, dry start will still give you a slight boost in speed of your carpet spreading, but not nearly as much as if you were not running CO2 in a low tech tank. There is also the possibility of your plants not doing well with the transition when you go submerged. Some people have no issue with this, others have their whole carpet die off. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with dry start if I was already planning to run CO2 for a carpet, especially something like monte carlo which tends to take over a tank anyway.

I assume you have a plan for fertilizers since you are running high light and CO2?

Not sure how many tissue culture containers it would take to carpet the bottom. I would think at least 4? But really you should just watch some videos on youtube for this, folks use monte carlo all the time, you should get a good idea of how much you will need. And if you need more, its not a big deal to add a couple more containers.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGK View Post
Tank is 50 gallons
36X18X18
So if you are running CO2, dry start will still give you a slight boost in speed of your carpet spreading, but not nearly as much as if you were not running CO2 in a low tech tank. There is also the possibility of your plants not doing well with the transition when you go submerged. Some people have no issue with this, others have their whole carpet die off. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with dry start if I was already planning to run CO2 for a carpet, especially something like monte carlo which tends to take over a tank anyway.

I assume you have a plan for fertilizers since you are running high light and CO2?

Not sure how many tissue culture containers it would take to carpet the bottom. I would think at least 4? But really you should just watch some videos on youtube for this, folks use monte carlo all the time, you should get a good idea of how much you will need. And if you need more, its not a big deal to add a couple more containers.
Thanks!
I have just heard it is hard to keep carpeting plants in the soil once you add water. I really like HC but from what I have read it can be very difficult.

Do I need to have powder on the surface for carpeting plants? Or will regular Amazonia be fine?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode