Switching tanks, anyway to salvage carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By tracyree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switching tanks, anyway to salvage carpet?

I have the itch to upgrade my tank, but I JUST got my Monte Carlo carpet grown in and the way I want it. Is there anyway to transfer it to a new tank without starting all over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:14 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Might be stating the obvious, but I would try to scoop it and the substrate it's attached to out from underneath. Maybe using a clean dustpan or such if it's a larger area.
Leeatl and CarissaT like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. You know. That might work. For some reason I was picturing removing it when the tank was full. Doh. After your comment I picture draining and using a dustpan to scoop it all ... thanks! (Apparently whatís obvious to most completely alludes me. Lol)
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with Blue Ridge Reef , but anytime you make such a major change such as moving to a different/bigger tank you risk "starting" over as far as the balance of the tank is/was . I will say I have completely changed the substrate in tanks before and everything went fine . Just saying do what you can but don't get discouraged if things take a step backwards for a while . Good luck!

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower

You could try doing a reverse drystart on the carpet? It would take a while but i have read about it being done once before.
Drain tank till water level just covers carpet, over the course of a month slowly drain the tank till the plants are exposed and healthy. This would allow you to transplant/replant and then drystart again.

(I am no expert i am only trying my first dry start now after many years in hobby)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

If you go the way of trying to scoop out the substrate and carpet en-bloc (spelling?), you could buy an inexpensive thin flexible poly plastic cutting mat and slide it under the substrate. Or anything else thin/flat and flexible.

I have MTS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjbacon View Post
If you go the way of trying to scoop out the substrate and carpet en-bloc (spelling?), you could buy an inexpensive thin flexible poly plastic cutting mat and slide it under the substrate. Or anything else thin/flat and flexible.
Great idea!!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I agree with Blue Ridge Reef , but anytime you make such a major change such as moving to a different/bigger tank you risk "starting" over as far as the balance of the tank is/was . I will say I have completely changed the substrate in tanks before and everything went fine . Just saying do what you can but don't get discouraged if things take a step backwards for a while . Good luck!
This is why I havenít actually done it. My tank ha been running really well. I think iíll Go ahead and order the tank and wait until I inevitably run into a problem. Then ill be ready to switch out all out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Banned

Perhaps take the head off of a square nose shovel, sanitize it, and scoop up the monte carlo?

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult oneĒ Ė Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:41 AM
Planted Member

I am skeptical that transfer of the entire carpet mat would work well though i havn't tried before
I think the practical approach would be to cut it up into sufficiently sized chunks and plant those fairly close together, similar to what many do when they purchase tissue culture and plant them densly, the carpet should fill in quite quickly this way and be properly rooted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Well, there is always just getting a second tank

RAOK Club #55

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode